This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What are some good RPGs that are 10+ years old?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What are some good RPGs that are 10+ years old?

User Info: Hi C

Hi C
7 months ago#31
AmongTheGaiden posted...
Orestes417 posted...
Darklands and the Ultima series, particularly 4-7

Are the Ultima games separate from each other story wise?

No.AmongTheGaiden posted...
Orestes417 posted...
AmongTheGaiden posted...
Orestes417 posted...
Darklands and the Ultima series, particularly 4-7

Are the Ultima games separate from each other story wise?

No, but you don't necessarily need to have played them all to enjoy them either. The series is nominally divided into three trilogies each with it's own overarching storyline. If you want a taste of the series, the fourth game is free on GOG.

I'll give a try sometime then. Thanks!

Ultima is definitely an acquired taste and closer to a sandbox adventure game than a typical stat or story driven RPG that most are used to.

The whole sandbox open world stuff that is in everything these days, but just about no one has gotten right in over a decade, was pioneered by the series.
I5-4590 | ASUS H97i-PLUS & VS239hp | 8GB Ballistix Sport | 1TB+2TB WD Blue | Cooler Master N200 | ASUS GTX 960 Strix 2GB

User Info: l337Bossman

l337Bossman
7 months ago#32
If you try any of the games listed above, can you come back and tell us how you liked them? There’s a thread like this every few weeks but the topic creators usually never come back to give an update!

User Info: MarceloSampaio

MarceloSampaio
7 months ago#33
l337Bossman posted...
Ultima 7. One of the best games ever made.

Ugh...

I REALLY tried to like Ultima 7, but I just never managed to. The open world and the story are interesting enough (I specially like the Serpent Isle story, BTW), but the game has to many issues that just piled themselves up and made the game a mess to me.

The combat is the worst offender: you don't really have to do anything: just start the combat and wait until your characters defeat the enemies automatically. Yes, we DO have to interact here and there, but the combat is mostly automatic. Even worse than Final Fantasy 13, ironically.

But another thing that REALLY made me angry was the inventory system. You have multiple characters, each with a bag. You have a HUGE number of items you can collect. But the bags aren't exactly big, and the items can be placed anywhere on the bags. Later on in the game, it's a PAIN to manage inventory. Move items here and there to find a small ring lost somewhere in the bags.

In fact, even though I grew up with the Ultima series, I only liked Ultima 3, 4 and 5. 6 onwards are just a pain to play. :/ And 8 is incomplete, thanks to EA.

I DID beat all of them, though.
Red Diamond: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUwltEBRrqs
My Steam profile: https://steamcommunity.com/id/marcsm2008

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
7 months ago#34
Oh yeah, and for your sanity, pretend Ultima IX was just a drug induced dream brought to you by the same misguided people who talk of Matrix sequels and Star Wars prequels. Nothing good comes from acknowledging it's theoretical existence.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: Ivany2008

Ivany2008
7 months ago#35
Pick any RPG from the Super Nintendo and Playstation 1 era. Most of them are really good. Damn shame that RPGs died out for favor of Action RPGs and First Person Shooters.

MarceloSampaio
7 months ago#36
First of all, I recommend that you try the Might and Magic games. Specially 3 onwards. They all are first person RPGs with simple storylines, but fantastic semi-open exploration and lots of dungeons filled with monsters and even puzzles. My favorites are 3, 4 and 5, but 6-8 are also amazing. 9 is not bad, but it's a buggy mess, and looks like ass, even compared to the older ones. There's also 10. It's also a good game, but not as good as the older ones. Ubisoft touched it...

I also recommend Betrayal at Krondor. Sure, the game looks a bit meh nowdays, but I still consider it one of the best games ever created. The GOG version is the CD one, with the amazing soundtrack.

BTW, if you don't mind simplistic graphics, I recommend that you at least take a look at the Avernum games. I liked them all. They have some fairly long demos, if you feel like trying them.

Geneforge games are also good, made by the same developer.

AmongTheGaiden posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
septerra core

I've never heard of that game before. I'll go check it out then. Thanks!

Great game. Feels slow paced at first, but you'll soon be addicted to it. The story is amazing.

User Info: lubmelubyou

lubmelubyou
7 months ago#37
JoboHotep posted...
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Oh yeah baby, Those were the days!

I would also like to add a game called Boiling Point. It's Morrowind with guns. I had a lot of fun with it back in the day. Not sure if it's available digitally anywhere though.

Deus Ex 1 and 2
My Channel for full playthroughs and other things gaming:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgb5tra_kTAbVU_Mb4XeuxQ

MarceloSampaio
7 months ago#38
Orestes417 posted...
Oh yeah, and for your sanity, pretend Ultima IX was just a drug induced dream brought to you by the same misguided people who talk of Matrix sequels and Star Wars prequels. Nothing good comes from acknowledging it's theoretical existence.

Yeah...

I don't even know what is worse about Ultima 9: the TONS of bugs, the gameplay or the fact that it feels like it was created by someone who never even played the older games. It pisses on everything related to the lore of the series, and even made one of the best parts of Ultima 7 feel completely meaningless (I'm talking about Dupre's sacrifice...)

User Info: JoboHotep

JoboHotep
7 months ago#39
@lubmelubyou

lubmelubyou posted...
I would also like to add a game called Boiling Point. It's Morrowind with guns.

Oh hey, thanks for jogging my memory about that one. I've never even seen any gameplay for it or anything, but I had heard of it in the past and it sounded interesting.

I might have to see if I can find that one.
i5 7600k / Hyper 212 / GIGABYTE GA-Z170M-D3H / 8GB 17000 DDR4 / Radeon R9 280x 3GB / SanDisk Z400s 240GB SSD / EVGA 600W ATX / Windows 10 Home 64 bit

User Info: SomboSteel

SomboSteel
7 months ago#40
Morrowind is king
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What are some good RPGs that are 10+ years old?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived