This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How to make PC gaming not a "boys club" and inclusive to women?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How to make PC gaming not a "boys club" and inclusive to women?

User Info: FantasticGabe

FantasticGabe
4 months ago#101
Gabe: Reality has exiled you, you are no longer bound by its laws. - HoboSpartan
Formerly known as IBKNAWTU.

User Info: Amuseum

Amuseum
4 months ago#102
pretty sure it was girls themselves who initially deemed video games were only for nerds, introverts, and outcasts. they had two choices:

1. go out with jocks and go shopping
2. play video games with nerds

hmmm, which activities do you think girls have higher regards for? and now they want to claim victimhood after decades of ostracizing the boys who didn't fit in and found a niche that welcomed them?
Ergonomic keyboard layouts for Android https://goo.gl/KR1vK6
5-suited Draw Poker for Android http://goo.gl/KhmXi

User Info: dioxxys

dioxxys
4 months ago#103
amen brother

User Info: xcmon3yx2

xcmon3yx2
4 months ago#104
never realized gamefaqs had so many snowflakes
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaaOiM_Sk560HEVNYpsA7Og
Check out my let's play channel

User Info: Mr kitty

Mr kitty
4 months ago#105
There are people who like their private golf club or turf whatever & act like total jerk. They don't want people to get their foot on the grass inside the golf field & totally get offended if a nobody win in their game.

Some actually use their golf club to play hockey...
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeapGamingMedia

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
4 months ago#106
If women want to join a mens' club then they need to man up, just like if a man wants to join a womens' club he needs to woman up. Pretty much all there is to it. Expecting a Home Ec. major to fit right in with an auto mechanics club is about as silly as expecting a grease monkey to slip right into a home Ec. course without issue.

Amuseum posted...
and STEM fields.

Heh. This reminds me of a thought I had a few days ago while watching The Red Pill.

Show me a feminism meeting where they start insisting that more women need to go into refrigerator repair and construction jobs and I'll support their efforts to get more women into STEM fields as well. Pushing for women to go into just white collar jobs while ignoring blue collar jobs is just as sexist as suggesting that women are best left at home with the kids and it's demeaning to both men and women.

celebar posted...
Are none of you bothered that we can't even tell who the women on this board are?

I'm as bothered my inability to determine which posters are female as I am bothered by my inability to determine which posters are human.

https://i.imgur.com/ZVmkrjl.jpg

Gynthaeres posted...
there may be some biological differences, but they're hardly the primary reason; someone who claims this is ignoring the huge number of cultural and social influences.

Of course biological factors can, and do, affect cultural and social influences so folks get to deal with both their own personal, individual biology as well as the collective biology of their society. Many of the modern "gender roles" created and enforced by culture and society were created out of biological causes if not biological necessity after all.

Dawnshadow posted...
make games that are reasonably inclusive

Good luck on getting people to agree on standard definitions for "reasonably" and "inclusive."

Freelance_Wolf posted...
Honestly, why would it bother anyone which gender plays which games?

Because I'm human, and the society I live in says that men and women are different, live according to different standards, expect to and should be treated differently, and so on, and knowing that any individual in a group I'm part of in a game is female tends to insert a sense of "otherness" into the equation that sets my nerves on edge because of all that societal baggage getting dropped into my lap.

Simply put, I don't have a problem playing games with female gamers, but I do have a problem with knowing that they're female. I don't do the obnoxious alpha male thing, but I do tend to feel constrained and that I can't really be "myself" anymore so as to not offend them.

If I don't know another person's gender/sex/whatever then I can treat all people equally.

celebar posted...
I'm gay.

I'd expect you to be as gay as a dying man in a desert who stumbles across an oasis given the nature of this topic and how many responses you've gotten. Frankly, I don't blame you for being gay because of it.

xcmon3yx2 posted...
never realized gamefaqs had so many snowflakes

Despite having created your account 9 years ago? o_O
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

User Info: chandl34

chandl34
4 months ago#107
My 80 year-old grandma saw me playing SimCity 4 one time, and she thought it was awesome. Used to come by and watch me play it sometimes. So there you go-- girls are into PC gaming.
... even on Earth Mode.

User Info: celebar

celebar
4 months ago#108
Marikhen posted...
I'd expect you to be as gay as a dying man in a desert who stumbles across an oasis given the nature of this topic and how many responses you've gotten. Frankly, I don't blame you for being gay because of it.

Don't know what this means but I'll take it as a compliment. Great discussion everyone.
thank you for reading my post
regards, celebar

User Info: jay2101

jay2101
4 months ago#109
Amuseum posted...
KaizerLaw posted...
And what exactly is stopping any woman that wants to play PC games from doing it?
If there are less women that play PC games than men, it is probably because women tend to gravitate to other activities of their own free will.
No one is stopping women from playing PC games.

Free will is a huge problem we as society today must curb. Too much free will is why women are not engaging in such highly regarded activities like hardcore PC gaming and STEM fields.

Thus, we must reduce the amount of free will in women in western societies, and force them into specific activities regardless of their volition.

I like this idea

User Info: Born Lucky

Born Lucky
4 months ago#110
Amuseum posted...
pretty sure it was girls themselves who initially deemed video games were only for nerds, introverts, and outcasts. they had two choices:

1. go out with jocks and go shopping
2. play video games with nerds

hmmm, which activities do you think girls have higher regards for? and now they want to claim victimhood after decades of ostracizing the boys who didn't fit in and found a niche that welcomed them?

This
Corsair 550D/ Gigabyte Z170X Gaming3 / Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2666 / i-5 6600k / MSI Twin Frozr VI GTX 1060 / Thermaltake NiC C5
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How to make PC gaming not a "boys club" and inclusive to women?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived