This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Bye, Bye Net Neutrality!

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Bye, Bye Net Neutrality!

User Info: btaylorstl

btaylorstl
4 months ago#461
yohabroha posted...
Voidgolem posted...
The right wing screws everything up again?

Look, as it stands we're going to be the consumers that potentially get f***ed by NN going away, but here's the thing - the government shouldn't be controlling this s*** to begin with. Call me a free market shill, but the market will correct itself if companies are going to be s***bags immediately after gaining control

Yeah, that worked out real well with the banks back in the mid to late 2000's. I understand the impulse people have against government intervention into markets, but some **** really needs to be regulated, and sometimes heavily, or things will go very very badly.
This signature will not change until the St. Louis Cardinals win the World Series. Started: 10/29/11

User Info: Player_10

Player_10
4 months ago#462
I just want all these damn leaks about Dragon Ball to [stop], seriously!
Would you like to hear a tale, of a little girl name Kale?
She always wondered, whatever happened to Her tail?! *o*
(message deleted)

User Info: Player_10

Player_10
4 months ago#464
https://youtu.be/zpN3HUO9Ksg

This is what I've been saying.
Would you like to hear a tale, of a little girl name Kale?
She always wondered, whatever happened to Her tail?! *o*

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
4 months ago#465
btaylorstl posted...
yohabroha posted...
Voidgolem posted...
The right wing screws everything up again?

Look, as it stands we're going to be the consumers that potentially get f***ed by NN going away, but here's the thing - the government shouldn't be controlling this s*** to begin with. Call me a free market shill, but the market will correct itself if companies are going to be s***bags immediately after gaining control

Yeah, that worked out real well with the banks back in the mid to late 2000's. I understand the impulse people have against government intervention into markets, but some **** really needs to be regulated, and sometimes heavily, or things will go very very badly.

If there's one thing I've figured out over the past year or two, it's that people totally do not learn from history. At all. You can lay it all out right there for them, and they'll find excuses, or ignore it, or whatever it takes to disregard it and keep thinking everything will be fine. In some cases they actually try to rewrite history or just straight up fabricate things. Whatever it takes.

Makes about as much sense as the flat earth society saying there's no "flat Mars society" because unlike Earth, Mars has been observed to be round.

It doesn't matter how much evidence you put in front of people... they'll believe whatever they want no matter what.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
4 months ago#466
Player_10 posted...

He lost me when he started doing a stupid overblown voice for Joe.

That's not me defending Joe, but if you're going to try to put an argument/counter argument forth, don't mock the other person. Ad hominem is pathetic.
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde

KillerTruffle
4 months ago#467
^ As another example, the majority of the residents of an island that's totally being lost to the ocean due to rising sea level (a consequence and symptom of climate change) refuse to believe that climate change exists. Rather than respond to climate change, they'd rather just have a new seawall built to hold the ocean back. The island used to have more than 2,000 acres in the mid 1800s, and now it's down to less than 800. And despite that rapid loss of land area, even Trump has said the island has been there for hundreds of years, and he believes it will be there for hundreds more. Even though it's shrunk by nearly 2/3 in just the past 150 years or so.

The residents there are literally sitting on the proof in terms of land being submerged, and still refuse to believe it. I don't understand how people can be so voluntarily ignorant in the face of something so obvious, but it happens all the damn time. We have repeated historical proof that massive companies with monopolies do not act in the best interest of their customers, and that the free market does not correct this on its own. If it did, antitrust regulation wouldn't be a thing at all.

And in terms of major ISPs, they've all avoided antitrust problems by remaining as separate companies. They just make agreements under the table not to compete with each other, so they all can do whatever they want with pricing and everything, so it's still an effective monopoly, underscored by the fact that most people have a single option for broadband, or maybe two if they're lucky. Throw all the facts you want at corporate shills though, including evidence of where ISPs have already abused their position in the past, and it all just zips right past them.

KillerTruffle
4 months ago#468
Player_10 posted...
https://youtu.be/zpN3HUO9Ksg

"If they do something that you don't like, you just don't spend your money at that business, and they go out of business. No need for regulation, that's how capitalism works."

Except that's bulls*** when it comes to companies in monopolistic positions controlling critical infrastructure utilities. The internet has become critical to the infrastructure of modern society. And with most businesses, there are competitors around you can go to instead. Don't like Fry's? Just go to Best Buy instead. It does NOT work like that for ISPs though. For most people in the US, their option is either pay whatever their ISP demands, or give up internet - at least reasonable speeds. Yes, some free dialup providers still exist, but dialup speeds are worthless in a day and age where *everything* takes a while to load due to images, ads, etc. Hell, even on solid broadband, the site for one of my credit cards takes a good 10-15 seconds to load to the point I get the login option, with all the scripts and stuff they pack in. I'm not convinced it would ever load at all on dialup.

I didn't watch past the 1:30 mark or so, because once he starts spouting the "just take your money elsewhere" capitalism bulls*** while ignoring the fact that most people don't have an alternative option, the rest of his argument falls apart. You don't have to like the government, and certainly don't give them free reign, but *some* external, enforceable regulation is totally necessary to keep ISPs from gouging everyone.
(message deleted)
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Bye, Bye Net Neutrality!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived