This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Bye, Bye Net Neutrality!

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Bye, Bye Net Neutrality!

User Info: JustAndrew88

JustAndrew88
4 months ago#451
ArkonBlade posted...
Considering Net Neutrality didn't even become a thing till 2015 and the internet before it was fine. I'm not buying into all this conjecture that ISP's are going to start charging us extra to watch sites like Hulu, Netflix, YouTube and download games off of steam.

If they start to implement it then its time to panic.

Until then i have no idea how this is going to play out.

Here's the thing, the abuses weren't so widespread that it was something everyone heard about, but they happened. Comcast blocking P2P traffic for instance. They even lied to the Government about doing it, the FCC caught them at it, took them to court, and lost the case because without Title II the FCC had no right to regulate them. AT&T blocked Facetime in favor of their own crap. Wasn't it AT&T that also blocked Google voice? Or was that Verizon? It's hard to keep up. Comcast also gave priority to their own apps on Xbox over others. Anyway time and time again ISPs would do something unethical, the FCC would try to stop them, and then they would be shut down in court because of the lack of Title II. So Tom Wheeler put together very light touch Title II, basically Title II in name only, so they couldn't keep getting away with stuff like this.
You don't understand. Edgar is the one in the hole.

User Info: BigTee66

BigTee66
4 months ago#452
I honestly feel bad for those stuck with Comcast, and their crappy wireless gateways
MSI Z170-A PRO LGA 1151 | i5 6500K | ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 | 8GB DDR4 x 2 | EVGA 650W | Inwin 703 Black |
Steam: teeman92

User Info: LordClyde

LordClyde
4 months ago#453
Jason_Hudson posted...
What the f*** are you all worrying about? Ajit Pai made a video that should put your minds at ease:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqONIPwidQw

Imagine the monstrosity you'd create if you took this guy's teeth and Trump's hair.

User Info: WalkingPlague

WalkingPlague
4 months ago#454
Voidgolem posted...
WalkingPlague posted...

Yeah, the assumption have the luxury of going with a start-up. I don't. I've looked into various, none in my area.

I'm saying that the "maybe the free market will fix it!" solution of having a startup competitor to whatever ISPs there are to provide net neutrality doesn't work.

because they still have to actually link up with the other ISPs. That's kinda how networks function: and comcast isn't going to turn to Small Time Business Guy and say "Y'know what, sure, you can charge less than we do in this area we service".

Now, if an eccentric trillionaire decides to build his own, basically continent-spanning network to -replace- our existing infrastructure, or we seriously, seriously enhance alternative means of transmission such that we don't have to access existing networks to get to a given resource (e.g. the servers gfaqs is hosted on), then we can start talking "competition will fix this". But right now? The only people pushing that angle are corporate stooges or idiots.

Well, yeah, that's why Google Fiber is spreading across North America at a snails pace. Other companies aren't willing to work together or "link up" as you say. I have several gigabit services in multiple areas of my city, but far out of my reach.

Funny you say that because Elon Musk is sending up the first of his SpaceX gigabit satellites in 2019.
#PCMR

User Info: Mitsukiba

Mitsukiba
4 months ago#455
JustAndrew88 posted...
Player_10 posted...

Didn't EA do this to SEGA... now there's no more NFL 2K, or NCAA 2K games!

Kind of. NFL 2K5 scared EA to death so they went to the NFL to get the license to be the only company allowed to make NFL games.

Yeah. 2k5 was the better game. EA wasn't going to lose that.
i7-4930k, EVGA X79 Classified, CM V8 GTS, CM Stormtrooper, 16GB HyperX Sav. 1600MHz, EVGA GTX 960 2G, AMD R7 240 SSD, WD Black 1T, CM V750.
My GPU is trash. :(

Mitsukiba
4 months ago#456
JustAndrew88 posted...
A physical fiber line is far more perfect than fiber being sent wirelessly. Wireless is not reliable compared to wired. And I can't see them delivering fiber internet to billions of people with some satellites. It's all talk. I'll believe that when I see it. I have fiber internet now and hell even standing next to the router I can barely get 60-70 Mbps. This is with 3 different routers. 1 being AT&T's, 2 being my own. But wired? I'm getting 850-950 Mbps.

Lol. The power of the device pulling it is important. My Asus PCIE Wirless Card pulls really well. It's also more stable than my PS4 Pro and it's connected to the internet via LAN. Don't misunderstand though, it's a 70 USD wireless card.
i7-4930k, EVGA X79 Classified, CM V8 GTS, CM Stormtrooper, 16GB HyperX Sav. 1600MHz, EVGA GTX 960 2G, AMD R7 240 SSD, WD Black 1T, CM V750.

Mitsukiba
4 months ago#457
fatboy44 posted...
I am obviously completely for net neutrality, and it makes me sick in my stomach to think about what the internet would be like if small content creators couldn't compete with big companies due to cost barriers of accessing these fast lanes.

In reality though I'm curious how things will actually play it out if NN is indeed repealed (which it looks like it probably will be this time). Will it really look like the horror story that's being depicted where everything is pay to access?

I ask because we've only had Net Neutrality in place since 2015 when it was passed under the Obama Administration. I've been using the Internet for years before NN was passed in 2015, and the landscape was never what's being predicted now. Not asking to troll as I'm 100% behind NN, but I'm just genuinely interested in if NN was repealed, why it would be different than pre-2015 internet before NN was passed?

The whole reason it's there is to prevent things like what Verizon did with Netflix in order to sell its own content (Cable TV).

You give these companies an inch and they will in due time take a mile. Look at the American Government the Founders of America had key things in mine, they were really smart guys. BUT the government of Today isn't forced or required to abide but what the the founders had in mind, that's supposed to be our power. But the military and national guard could shut down any dissent if they wanted.

No one is watching the watcher.

User Info: JustAndrew88

JustAndrew88
4 months ago#458
Mitsukiba posted...
Lol. The power of the device pulling it is important. My Asus PCIE Wirless Card pulls really well. It's also more stable than my PS4 Pro and it's connected to the internet via LAN. Don't misunderstand though, it's a 70 USD wireless card.

It certainly could be the devices themselves. It's hard for me to check that as most of the devices don't have a way to connect with a wire and I have no other high speed connections to test them on. It's really not that big of a deal to me though. The 60-70 Mbps I am getting is double what my entire speed was on my previous connection.
You don't understand. Edgar is the one in the hole.

User Info: spike_spiegel

spike_spiegel
4 months ago#459
https://youtu.be/CeoWe_IZU6k

Mitsukiba
4 months ago#460
JustAndrew88 posted...
Mitsukiba posted...

It certainly could be the devices themselves. It's hard for me to check that as most of the devices don't have a way to connect with a wire and I have no other high speed connections to test them on. It's really not that big of a deal to me though. The 60-70 Mbps I am getting is double what my entire speed was on my previous connection.

Can't argue that. My Download speeds are 100/100, I downgraded from my 300/300 package. My PC is getting 102/120 from the provided rental equipment. But those costs WILL fall on us as the consumer.

spike_spiegel posted...
https://youtu.be/CeoWe_IZU6k

I was laughing for about 10 seconds then I realized... He wasn't coming back. :(
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Bye, Bye Net Neutrality!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived