This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Bye, Bye Net Neutrality!

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Bye, Bye Net Neutrality!

User Info: arleas

arleas
4 months ago#441
Born Lucky posted...
The regulations in that bill did NOTHING to make youtube better or force your isp to give "faster youtube"..

It's more like "stop throttling traffic";it wasn't giving him faster youtube. It was giving him the speed he was promised regardless of the content.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: WalkingPlague

WalkingPlague
4 months ago#442
KillerTruffle posted...
WalkingPlague posted...
I don't see any of this happening. If you aren't happy with Comcast-- you have two options. 1) Don't support companies that voted against net neutrality.

Can you name an ISP that *didn't* oppose net neutrality?

WalkingPlague posted...
2) Stay offline.

Because that is a totally feasible option in a day and age where nearly everything is managed online.

I wouldn't expect anyone to go with option 2, obviously. However, I do agree with you. I highly doubt anyone could live without internet. Mainly because the same practices are utilized with you mobile service provider. I would be a hypocrite to think otherwise-- especially when I use Sprint. Knowing this, we have no true options to keep up communication outside of these companies.

Granted-- if Congress gives the go ahead on the repeal-- I am curious how people would react. Would this open up new territories; new avenues for future start-up's or allow other small-time broadband providers to expand into new areas to provide pro-net neutrality service? At the moment, my area only allows for Comcast and AT&T. Either I suck it up with Comcast or go with AT&T's 13mb download and 1-2mb upload? There is no grey area.
#PCMR

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
4 months ago#443
WalkingPlague posted...
Would this open up new territories; new avenues for future start-up's or allow other small-time broadband providers to expand into new areas to provide pro-net neutrality service?

Depends on the area, in some places the government is in ISP's pockets and won't allow competitors to start up. It's just not possible in some places without undoing legislation
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

User Info: Voidgolem

Voidgolem
4 months ago#444
WalkingPlague posted...

Granted-- if Congress gives the go ahead on the repeal-- I am curious how people would react. Would this open up new territories; new avenues for future start-up's or allow other small-time broadband providers to expand into new areas to provide pro-net neutrality service? At the moment, my area only allows for Comcast and AT&T. Either I suck it up with Comcast or go with AT&T's 13mb download and 1-2mb upload? There is no grey area.

either you suck it up with Comcast, go AT&T, or you pay a roughly equivalent amount to Startup Competitor because they still have to route traffic over Comcast/AT&T network areas and thus have an ironclad and well-defined financial contract of some kind. NN being repealed does not change how the internet actually -works- under the covers.

the free market doesn't work with this kind of thing.
https://i.imgur.com/Uiyemc7.jpg

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
4 months ago#445
Born Lucky posted...
KillerTruffle posted...
I'm just waiting for the moment I can't stream even 120p videos without buffering 10 seconds for every 2 like the good ol' days. Only way I could fix that prior to 2015 was to get a VPN. Enable VPN: 1080p60 pre-cached entire Youtube videos in seconds, zero buffering pauses, perfect playback. Disable VPN: literally could not stream 120p Youtube videos without buffering for 10 seconds, playing 2 seconds, buffer again for 10, play for 2, etc.

I wonder what changed in 2015 that made Comcast stop f***ing up my Youtube?

You're full of crap .

The regulations in that bill did NOTHING to make youtube better or force your isp to give "faster youtube"..

This is what I''m talking about - people who have no clue , just making up ****.

K, so what DID cause Comcast to stop throttling me then? It's just coincidence that they stopped sometime after the regulation passed?
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: WalkingPlague

WalkingPlague
4 months ago#446
Voidgolem posted...
WalkingPlague posted...

either you suck it up with Comcast, go AT&T, or you pay a roughly equivalent amount to Startup Competitor because they still have to route traffic over Comcast/AT&T network areas and thus have an ironclad and well-defined financial contract of some kind. NN being repealed does not change how the internet actually -works- under the covers.

the free market doesn't work with this kind of thing.

Yeah, the assumption have the luxury of going with a start-up. I don't. I've looked into various, none in my area.
#PCMR

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
4 months ago#447
WalkingPlague posted...
Yeah, the assumption have the luxury of going with a start-up. I don't. I've looked into various, none in my area.

Not only that, most startups are literally excluded from entering the market. Even if that startup is the city government itself. The dominant ISPs in a given market do everything in their power to tie new entries up in legal bullcrap that takes years - and millions of dollars - to push through. They make it so obnoxious even Google quit trying. That's how much power the big ISPs have, and we're eliminating all control over how they use/abuse it.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: Voidgolem

Voidgolem
4 months ago#448
WalkingPlague posted...

I'm saying that the "maybe the free market will fix it!" solution of having a startup competitor to whatever ISPs there are to provide net neutrality doesn't work.

because they still have to actually link up with the other ISPs. That's kinda how networks function: and comcast isn't going to turn to Small Time Business Guy and say "Y'know what, sure, you can charge less than we do in this area we service".

Now, if an eccentric trillionaire decides to build his own, basically continent-spanning network to -replace- our existing infrastructure, or we seriously, seriously enhance alternative means of transmission such that we don't have to access existing networks to get to a given resource (e.g. the servers gfaqs is hosted on), then we can start talking "competition will fix this". But right now? The only people pushing that angle are corporate stooges or idiots.
https://i.imgur.com/Uiyemc7.jpg

User Info: jediknight52501

jediknight52501
4 months ago#449
BearShrooms posted...
Voidgolem posted...
The right wing screws everything up again?

Oh please. The democrats have been total s***bergs too.

Republicans are ass***s.
it is good to be back. XBL-GamingWizardC75, PSN-Creepy_Crandall, Steam-jediknight52501

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
4 months ago#450
Considering Net Neutrality didn't even become a thing till 2015 and the internet before it was fine. I'm not buying into all this conjecture that ISP's are going to start charging us extra to watch sites like Hulu, Netflix, YouTube and download games off of steam.

If they start to implement it then its time to panic.

Until then i have no idea how this is going to play out.
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ArkonBlade/videos
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Bye, Bye Net Neutrality!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived