This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

When people say that certain games "didn't age well" is subjective

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. When people say that certain games "didn't age well" is subjective

User Info: blackhrt

blackhrt
4 months ago#61
I don't know the credibility of rockpapershotgun.com, but yeah its kind of subjective.

Syphon Filter hasn't aged well graphic wise. But then youre talking about games from the beginning of the 21st century. Can I still aim and still taser people till they burn? yes but Im going to dismiss how it looks now versus then (oh god the polygons back in 2000's lol)
"I live my life 3 videogames at a time. Nothing else matters. Not the mortgage, not my clan and their BS. For those 3 games or less, I'm free."

User Info: Bleu_Skie

Bleu_Skie
4 months ago#62
^okay Terotrous.

Actually, no. Each character in ff6 is a job. the magic is a secondary piece, but not the whole. The materia system is the whole in FF7.

You would have to grind for you to learn the spells in ff6. Since there are many characters who aren't always accessible, it isn't feasible to learn everything with everyone. Add to the fact you must choose the order since you cant get multiples of the esper you want to learn a spell from ideally. Also the stat bonus thing from each esper plays a factor.

Learned abilities are a thing in most FF games. Unless you are arguing they were all inferior to ff7, I'm not sure what you are arguing tbh.

And never played a game in my life, obviously.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/BleuSkie
It's important to know what the rules are first, so that, when you decide to break them, you can better judge the effect.

User Info: reiko sawamura

reiko sawamura
4 months ago#63
BearShrooms posted...
I'm not sure how anyone could possibly argue this. It's entirely a preference thing. If you prefer the gameplay/graphics/music of older games over newer games then that is what you prefer.

Sure you could say things like gunplay is more realistic, character creation is more in depth, or graphics are more realistic. But the "better-ness" of those situations is an entirely subjective opinion.

Find me a person that prefers Battle Arena Toshinden to a modern fighter, and I'll agree with you.
It's a higher power telling me through bunnies that we're all gonna die!
The cranky hermit 4 months ago#64
Djoser2000 posted...
Esp. SoA (BG II) was a masterpiece at it's time and is still considered as one of the best games of all time. But: Would you really say it's better than f.e. Pillars of Eternity or Tyranny if we push nostalgia aside?

Yes. Far better. Better plot, better characters, better worldbuilding, better writing, better quests, better sense of progression, better pretty much everything. If THAC0 being a bit confusing wasn't a big enough problem to keep it from being widely considered the best RPG ever made back then, it isn't now either.

The same thing goes for other classics like HL² compared to a modern shooter

Half-Life 1 and 2 are both infinitely better than most modern shooters. There's not even anything dated about how they play.

reiko sawamura posted...
Find me a person that prefers Battle Arena Toshinden to a modern fighter, and I'll agree with you.

When BAT was a modern fighter, it wasn't difficult at all to find people who preferred Street Fighter 2 to it.
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

User Info: Terotrous

Terotrous
4 months ago#65
Bleu_Skie posted...
Actually, no. Each character in ff6 is a job. the magic is a secondary piece, but not the whole. The materia system is the whole in FF7.

Yes, this is true, though it's worth noting that these "jobs" are basically a single unique command, for example Celes has Runic while Locke has Steal and Mog has Dance. FF7 also has this, by way of Yellow Materia, but you can choose who you want to get each command. You could try to argue that this makes the characters in FF7 less distinct from each other (though they all have unique limit breaks) and it probably does, but I'll take a much more interesting customization system over slightly more differentiated characters any day.
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
http://whatliesbeyondnovel.blogspot.ca/ - A psychological fantasy novel series, book 2 finally complete

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
4 months ago#66
People were blown away by FF7's graphics at launch.

User Info: Chaap

Chaap
4 months ago#67
the vast majority of games that "didn't age well" were never that good to begin with. they just impressed people with trivial crap like graphics
"Some people are just dumb"

User Info: Chaap

Chaap
4 months ago#68
Terotrous posted...
Bleu_Skie posted...
You also have to choose in both early game. In late game you don't have to choose in both. There is no difference.

You don't have to choose at any point in FF6. When you get a new esper in FF6, you just give it to your various party members until they have all the spells. You don't have to give anything up to learn new spells because once you learn a spell, you have it forever. By comparison, if you get a new materia in FF7, you have to replace one of your existing materia to equip it. There's a limitation on the number of abilities you can have at once that doesn't exist in FF6. Of course, you can also equip materia that give you new commands or stat changes, for which FF6 has no analogue.

Honestly, I feel like if you actually can't see how the two systems are different you probably didn't actually play the games. It's not like it's a subtle change or anything. The materia system is basically a far more fleshed-out version of the esper system.

what you're forgetting is that espers give permanent stat adjustments on level up

both systems are fine. neither is perfect
"Some people are just dumb"

User Info: WalkingPlague

WalkingPlague
4 months ago#69
I was really into True Crime: Streets of LA on PS2, I went back to it recently after reading this thread a bit and it was pretty bad. I'll try a few more games and see how they fair.
#PCMR

User Info: loki00_00

loki00_00
4 months ago#70
I thought Max Payne aged pretty well compared to other games at the time...
The official Oni of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. When people say that certain games "didn't age well" is subjective

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived