This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Going from AMD CPU to Intel

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Going from AMD CPU to Intel

User Info: Rob_Van_Dam93

Rob_Van_Dam93
6 months ago#1
So my current CPU is a AMD FX-8350 eight core and I have a GTX 1070. As I understand I am bottlenecking pretty hard. I am looking to upgrade to an I7-8700k, what should I know?
I know I am going to need a new motherboard. Do I need to do a fresh install of Windows 10? Do I need to do anything with bios? Also will I be able to just reconnect my hardrive and keep using my stuff or do I need to change some things there as well?
Ive upgraded my GPU but upgrading CPU's and MOBO's I do not have much experience on.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. is the MSI H110M a good MOBO? Seems pretty cheap and im not looking to spend more than I have too.
PSN:SS5DEJAN

User Info: strat10

strat10
6 months ago#2
Why not get Z370 series motherboard? You just wait and save $100 more to buy it. $100 isn't a big gap like $1000

Edited: I lost track on motherboards.

User Info: Silvererazor

Silvererazor
6 months ago#3
1. You will need a new mobo and DDR4-RAM.
2. The motherboard you mention won't work with the CPU. You will need a z370 motherboard.
3. In general. If you buy a "k"-Intel-CPU, then you'll need a "z"-chipset-motherboard, because all the other mobos won't allow overclocking.

Rob_Van_Dam93
6 months ago#4
Silvererazor posted...
2. The motherboard you mention won't work with the CPU. You will need a z370 motherboard.
3. In general. If you buy a "k"-Intel-CPU, then you'll need a "z"-chipset-motherboard, because all the other mobos won't allow overclocking.

crap, I'll need DDR4? I have 16GB of DDR3 :( any work around for that?

User Info: wantfastcars

wantfastcars
6 months ago#5
Rob_Van_Dam93 posted...
Silvererazor posted...

crap, I'll need DDR4? I have 16GB of DDR3 :( any work around for that?

Nope. Shell out the cash for DDR4 or stick with your current CPU/mobo/RAM.
Now Playing: Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2
Now, let's count up your sins!

Rob_Van_Dam93
6 months ago#6
Ok, RAM's an issue then. So what about the 7700k? Would that support my DDR3 RAM?

User Info: wantfastcars

wantfastcars
6 months ago#7
Rob_Van_Dam93 posted...
Ok, RAM's an issue then. So what about the 7700k? Would that support my DDR3 RAM?

Nope. Nor will the 6700k. The newest mainstream i7 Intel CPU you can get that supports DDR3 would be a 4790k.

Which would still be a huge upgrade over an FX-8350, but if you're making a major upgrade you might as well upgrade to the newest tech. If you have to save up a little longer it's worth it in the long run, since a solid CPU/mobo/RAM combo can last you 5+ years.
Now Playing: Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2
Now, let's count up your sins!

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
6 months ago#8
In general, K series chips aren't worth it. The added cost of cooling, a Z series board, and the higher pricetag of the chip it's self just isn't worth the modest OC you can get.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

Rob_Van_Dam93
6 months ago#9
Ok so I am looking at the 7700K, 8GB of DDR4 RAM, and a new motherboard which I am still looking at.

Does anyone know much about the MSI Z370-A PRO LGA 1151 (300 Series)? Looks like a nice price but am I overlooking anything with it?

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
6 months ago#10
Why 7700k? Why not 8400 for much less but similar performance, or 8700 for a similar price but better performance?
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Going from AMD CPU to Intel

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived