This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

And now Firefox dropped support for legacy extensions

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. And now Firefox dropped support for legacy extensions

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
3 months ago#91
Kalirion posted...
arleas posted...
Kalirion posted...
It matters unless you want your gaming rig to be an encrypted virus cesspit.

Are you saying that people are going to ninja their way into your house, install the viruses and then leave? Because I'm sure they could do that on your updated system just as easily.

OR do you think that viruses are like people thought bacteria was in medieval times? It just spontaneously generates...

If an unprotected computer is connected to the internet, it gets viruses. Or do you expect a gaming rig to be 100% offline, with all games & game updates being installed by CD/DVD?

If we're dealing with a dual-boot scenario then why not just use Windows 10 with all the security software to download and update all the games, reboot into Windows 7 which has the network adapter(s) disabled, and play the freshly, safely updated games that way? I might be missing something, but running a dual-boot system was mentioned at one time. It's not outside the realm of plausibility to run things that way.

Or can these botnets and whatnot also get access to your OS through disabled hardware to enable hardware in order to access your OS through it?
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
3 months ago#92
Marikhen posted...
Or can these botnets and whatnot also get access to your OS through disabled hardware to enable hardware in order to access your OS through it?

Depends on where the flaw lies, but it's certainly not impossible. Especially with things like Intel's IME where you have an entire separate OS running on bare metal that's not generally accessible to the user. A flaw could, hypothetically, allow an attacker to turn on the disabled network device and send a payload. Or it could be as simple as an infected payload getting downloaded on one partition and then accessed by the other.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: gideond

gideond
3 months ago#93
NoScript 10 just dropped for Quantum so now we have NoScript back. Did I mention it's a hot mess? UI is a nightmare and totally non-intuitive. Anyone waiting for NoScript, keep waiting. It's going to take a while to get this mess straight. Why the interface needed changed seems to be the big question. I thought uMatrix had a convoluted interface compared to NoScript, but this makes uMatrix look easy.
http://www.poppameth.com
http://darkling.poppameth.com

User Info: Kalirion

Kalirion
3 months ago#94
gideond posted...
NoScript 10 just dropped for Quantum so now we have NoScript back. Did I mention it's a hot mess? UI is a nightmare and totally non-intuitive. Anyone waiting for NoScript, keep waiting. It's going to take a while to get this mess straight. Why the interface needed changed seems to be the big question. I thought uMatrix had a convoluted interface compared to NoScript, but this makes uMatrix look easy.

Seems simple enough for the simplest of things (blocking vs whitelisting). I haven't dived into the other options. I assume "DEFAULT" means "BLOCKED" tho (by default).
Don't be scared of nightmares; make them be scared of you.

gideond
3 months ago#95
Kalirion posted...
gideond posted...

Seems simple enough for the simplest of things (blocking vs whitelisting). I haven't dived into the other options. I assume "DEFAULT" means "BLOCKED" tho (by default).

I think the problem is that it's a little too simplistic and not really labelled well. My experience with it has been that settings don't appear to stick, so you click them again, and suddenly they did stick, and you unstuck them. It's just messy right now. I think the UI is just not refreshing well. I think I'll disable it another week since it's causing slowdowns on some sites for me, even with everything allowed. A lot of reports of Firefox becoming unstable with it installed as well. Maybe another week will sort the bugs out.

User Info: JustAndrew88

JustAndrew88
3 months ago#96
Yeah the UI is atrocious. Can't import settings from previous NoScript or anything. It's as bare bones as it gets. I disabled it.
You don't understand. Edgar is the one in the hole.

gideond
3 months ago#97
JustAndrew88 posted...
Yeah the UI is atrocious. Can't import settings from previous NoScript or anything. It's as bare bones as it gets. I disabled it.

Same. I'll re-enable it once a week to check the progress on it, but right now it's causing issues and figuring out how to fix it in that mess is not worth the hassle. I've got other extensions protecting me in the meantime.

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
3 months ago#98
Changing add-on models isn't a problem: changing add-on models to a Fisher-Price add-on model with severe restrictions that prevent functionality remotely as useful as in the past is a huge problem.

They have turned Firefox into another Chrome. I hate that. They destroyed the reason I even used it over Chrome.

User Info: Life Sympathy

Life Sympathy
3 months ago#99
Orestes417 posted...
Addon writers had literal YEARS to prep for this. If their s*** doesn't work with the new version by now it's 100 percent on them. We're talking notice being given to developers AND users as far back as August 2015.

This so hard. Extensions were marked legacy in at least Firefox 53. There is no excuse for active developers dropping the ball on this.
We're surrounding you. We see you, but you probably don't see us. And if you see us, we're not letting on that we see you.

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
3 months ago#100
Life Sympathy posted...
Orestes417 posted...
Addon writers had literal YEARS to prep for this. If their s*** doesn't work with the new version by now it's 100 percent on them. We're talking notice being given to developers AND users as far back as August 2015.

This so hard. Extensions were marked legacy in at least Firefox 53. There is no excuse for active developers dropping the ball on this.

Yes there is, when the new framework is Fisher-Price in comparison. When it's suddenly difficult to even display files already exist and it's impossible to save things outside of the pre-defined downloads folder it's just plain obnoxious, for example.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. And now Firefox dropped support for legacy extensions

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived