This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Take-Two will add microtransactions to every game moving forward

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Take-Two will add microtransactions to every game moving forward

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
6 months ago#31
vlado_e posted...
Orestes417 posted...
Moral high ground vs being an entitled cheapskate.

I don't necessarily disagree but my point is that neither would really carry the correct message across to the publishers.

That may be. But only one option gives you the ability to speak on the subject without being a hypocrite regardless of whether the publishers are listening.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: GamingBeast

GamingBeast
6 months ago#32
Ultimate_Noob posted...
if you don't like something in a game and don't want it in the game, then don't play it. The fact you're pirating it means the game is still worth something - not nothing. However, if you just want an excuse to call a product "fair game" when it comes to choosing whether or not to pay for it, I guess that exempts you from any argument as to whether it's right or not.

Well, if getting it for free means it worth something, then sure. Besides, i'm pirating their games because i don't want to deal with the excessive amounts of bulls*** microtransactions that they put in their game. If they retract this statement and say they won't put in microtransactions, i would gladly purchase each and every one of their future titles. Me pirating it is no different than me not buying the game at all, the developers don't get my money, the only difference is that i get their game. I can like a game without liking the greedy money-grabbing microtransactions practice involved in the game.
"you give them $60. That's $60 to Sony. They refund you $60. That $60 to you. You give them $60 again. That's $120 to Sony." -Gamefaqs Math

User Info: GamingBeast

GamingBeast
6 months ago#33
Orestes417 posted...
Like I said, entitled cheapskates.

Yet you don't mind developers shamelessly implementing greedy money-grabbing business practices and basically act as if their entitled to your money. I'd gladly be an "entitled cheapskate" as long as it means i don't have to deal with microtransactions.
"you give them $60. That's $60 to Sony. They refund you $60. That $60 to you. You give them $60 again. That's $120 to Sony." -Gamefaqs Math

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
6 months ago#34
GamingBeast posted...
Orestes417 posted...
Like I said, entitled cheapskates.

Yet you don't mind developers shamelessly implementing greedy money-grabbing business practices and basically act as if their entitled to your money. I'd gladly be an "entitled cheapskate" as long as it means i don't have to deal with microtransactions.

Cripes you're dense - if I don't like something, guess what, I DON'T BUY IT! I don't steal a Blu-Ray of a movie in protest of its content, I simply don't buy it. Don't dress up piracy as some noble act - you're not entitled to copyrighted work for nothing simply because you disagree with policy. You're pirating because you can, and don't want to pay, the very definition of 'entitled'.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: Ultimate_Noob

Ultimate_Noob
6 months ago#35
If you refuse to pay for a product despite using it, then again, you're exempt from any argument as to whether it's right or not. You're a thief by principal, and simply saying that you don't like something about a game is grounds to not pay for it while still enjoying it doesn't mean it's justified.

Make no mistake, I'm not trying to judge you or say I'm a better person than you (there's a lot worse things you could do than "stealing" something that costs virtually nothing to produce) - I'm just being factual.
A pc's brain is the cpu, its heart is the motherboard, its stomach is the hard drive, and its anus is the user.

User Info: pothocket

pothocket
6 months ago#36
GamingBeast posted...
Never said it was a form of protest

Don't worry, I could tell it was because you're just looking for an excuse to steal
http://www.koalastothemax.com/?aHR0cDovL2kuaW1ndXIuY29tL3pnMGpYWDcuanBn

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
6 months ago#37
Ultimate_Noob posted...
Weekly reminder that piracy is not a form of protest and only advocates more intrusive DRM, not better business practices.

Weekly reminder that we'd have DRM even without piracy and that due to human nature said DRM would result in piracy.

Orestes417 posted...
You want to make a statement, ignore the damn game entirely.

If it's an isolated issue that might work, but if the management of your local favorite restaurant starts including pralines and yech in all flavors of ice cream are you going to just stop buying ice cream or will you also say, "Look, I like these flavors, but I really don't like pralines or yech?"

Orestes417 posted...
Moral high ground vs being an entitled cheapskate.

With developers, and moreso publishers it seems, breaking up games for on-disc/day-one DLC, microtransactions, loot boxes, "skin packs," DLCs a fraction the size of "old school" expansions at nearly equal the cost, on-line passes (which may have stopped but can be brought back), and everything else that developers have done over the years one has to honestly ask the question.

Who has the moral high ground and who is being an "entitled cheapskate" here?

Sadly enough that brings up the question of whether pirates or publishers are "entitled cheapskates" when the developers don't get any money off game sales anymore. When the development costs have been recouped, when a profit has been made, and when the makers no longer get paid, wherein lays the reason for payment?

vlado_e posted...
neither would really carry the correct message across to the publishers.

Pretty much. "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink."

Orestes417 posted...
But only one option gives you the ability to speak on the subject without being a hypocrite

You aren't saying a thing if you aren't speaking though. That's not a pro-piracy statement either; that's just common sense. Complain on official forums, call them up, do whatever, but "voting with your wallet" to make a message and not doing anything else is probably more harmful than pirating in the first place.

Hell, if you like the game and want to play it but don't want to the DLCs or loot boxes then buy the game and don't buy into the other crap. I've kinda wanted to pick up Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel for awhile now, but the lack of price drops and "game of the year" versions commensurate with those from Borderlands 2 have generally been turnoffs as the game is woefully overpriced as it stands.

Thanks to Humble Bundle, I picked up the core game for (technically) $5.5, and I'm happy with that. I don't need to buy individual DLCs or season passes for the game. For that matter if they have anyone intelligent behind key distribution then when my key was activated they'll know it came from Humble Bundle and not a Steam store purchase giving them positive, not negative or null information as not buying would have caused, feedback on interest versus price.

GamingBeast posted...
Me pirating it is no different than me not buying the game at all

Incorrect. Piracy implies interest in a game and not a dislike of "fee2pay" elements, especially if pirates can get access to the loot boxes and other "fee2pay" content for free. Consumers not buying a game does, however, denote lack of interest in a game, but it doesn't provide any context so that publishers and developers don't know if it's the DRM, the game itself, or the overly intrusive attempts to sell the cash cow's eggs and plasma as well as its milk that is turning consumers off.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

User Info: Ultimate_Noob

Ultimate_Noob
6 months ago#38
Marikhen posted...
Ultimate_Noob posted...
Weekly reminder that piracy is not a form of protest and only advocates more intrusive DRM, not better business practices.

Weekly reminder that we'd have DRM even without piracy and that due to human nature said DRM would result in piracy.

Heh, that's a given. It's the same reason why excessive swearing in certain MMO's is against the TOS despite having a filter; enforcement. It can be argued whether stronger DRM however has created more resistance in piracy by cracking the DRM much faster, at the expense of inconveniencing those who have genuine copies. Though to be honest, DRM has never personally inconvenienced me outside one incredibly sour experience with SecuROM on GTA4, and I really hope DRM never feels it necessary to tread those waters ever again just so games can secure their day-1 sales.

Hell, if you like the game and want to play it but don't want to the DLCs or loot boxes then buy the game and don't buy into the other crap.

It might come down to not so much publishers banking on the majority of players to dump wads of dosh into loot boxes though, but banking instead on huge-spending minorities to do it. I think the CEO of Take-Two Strauss Zelnick's line about "We are convinced that we are probably from an industry view undermonetizing on a per-user basis," was misconstrued, and that he was instead concerned about how it's only a very small percentage of players are putting tons of money into GTA Online shark cards. So, as a regular gamer simply not buying them isn't enough to dissuade it from effecting gameplay.
A pc's brain is the cpu, its heart is the motherboard, its stomach is the hard drive, and its anus is the user.

User Info: Sailor_Razor

Sailor_Razor
6 months ago#39
Flood them will derision directly. Ship it right where they'll hear it, and maybe you'll get them to back off.

Now where that is, I have no idea.

User Info: gamefaqwatcher

gamefaqwatcher
6 months ago#40
Have to see how it applies to singleplayer for the next gta.
See you in WoD! Praise the sun! Diamond Dog is a Wolf! Currently playing: Dark Souls 1
Weebs refer to the mana series as Seiken Densetsu.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Take-Two will add microtransactions to every game moving forward

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived