This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Time to upgrade from an i5-4690K yet?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Time to upgrade from an i5-4690K yet?

User Info: teir

teir
6 months ago#1
I've been deciding for a little while if it's worth upgrading my CPU yet. I have a GTX 1080 and 16Gb of ram. I know the 4690k is my bottleneck right now but I'm not sure if one of the newer CPU's will give me enough of a performance increase. If I would upgrade, I would also need a new motherboard and memory. That would probably set me back $600 or $700. What do you guys think? Is it worth upgrading soon or should I give it a year?

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
6 months ago#2
Nope. Not unless what you need is a lot more cores/threads. IPC wise, Haswell is barely behind Skylake.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: SaiDucc

SaiDucc
6 months ago#3
I'm on Haswell-E 5820K, since 2015. My laptop is on a SandyBridge 2630QM i7 since 2010. Both are fast and to be honest, you're gaining maybe a handful of FPS. But think about it, an entire new CPU for a handful of FPS? Never worth it unless you can afford to not care about the price.

Seeing as you're on i5, I'm assuming it's mostly just for gaming, if so, stick with it. Or sell it now and make back as much as you can, then upgrade to a 6xxx series CPU and stick with that for atleast 3-5 years.

User Info: SaiDucc

SaiDucc
6 months ago#4
Intel CPU's are every year now, don't get fooled into their marketing BS

User Info: blacklabelice

blacklabelice
6 months ago#5
my 4690k is still going strong mind you i only use it for 60 fps couch gaming off the tv. at 4.6 ghz it might not be able to drive a real high framerate in some of the newer games with the settings cranked i would figure. but other than that its still got some balls, and some life left in it

i wouldnt really upgrade unless you can find a 4790k real cheap and find someone to buy the 4690k. otherwise youre burning alot more money on a new board and ram. unless you wanna go all out on a brand new i7 and all the essentials to go with it, you may not see enough gains to warrant spending all the extra money for a while.

i'd probably hold off unless youre not getting the performance you want in most of your games, not just the s***ty console ports that arent optimized worth a damn thats just me though.
I cant afford a good vacation, so i'm just going to drink until i dont know where i am.

User Info: ToastyOne

ToastyOne
6 months ago#6
i7 4790k usually goes for $200 on reddit hardwareswap. Much cheaper than going all out on new cpu+mobo+ram.

User Info: 1337toothbrush

1337toothbrush
6 months ago#7
ToastyOne posted...
i7 4790k usually goes for $200 on reddit hardwareswap. Much cheaper than going all out on new cpu+mobo+ram.

Also a s***ty upgrade that isn't worth the money.
:D
https://imgur.com/a/FU9H8

User Info: Sir_Haxor

Sir_Haxor
6 months ago#8
I'm going Zen+ in February because the 4690k isn't enough for RPCS3. Otherwise, it's a solid CPU still.
Z97A | 4690k 4.6GHz | Hyper 212 Evo | EVGA GTX 1080ti | EVGA GS 650w | 16GB DDR3 | WDB 3TB |128GB SSD | Toshiba 500GB | Challenger S | Acer G257HU | LG 27UD68 |
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Time to upgrade from an i5-4690K yet?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived