This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Activision Granted Microtransaction Matchmaking Patent

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Activision Granted Microtransaction Matchmaking Patent

User Info: yohabroha

5 months ago#1
Not sure if cOLD, articles about it have just been coming out the last few hours:

In one case, the system could be used to match new players with experienced players making use of more advanced gear. The newbie would then be encouraged to buy that gear to emulate the advanced player. In another case, players who have purchased a new weapon would be placed into matches where this weapon would have an advantage against others.

“Doing so may enhance a level of enjoyment by the player for the game-related purchase, which may encourage future purchases,” Rolling Stone quotes the patent as saying. “For example, if the player purchased a particular weapon, the microtransaction engine may match the player in a gameplay session in which the particular weapon is highly effective, giving the player an impression that the particular weapon was a good purchase. This may encourage the player to make future purchases to achieve similar gameplay results.”
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs

User Info: premature tyrant

premature tyrant
5 months ago#2
wow actiblizz is pure evil lol
- BEST possible gaming PC builds for the $$$ -

User Info: premature tyrant

premature tyrant
5 months ago#3
*buys destiny 2*
- BEST possible gaming PC builds for the $$$ -

User Info: thelocalhentai

5 months ago#4
Just business tactic 101, even if it's an actual a****** move since there are a lot of naive people playing their games.

User Info: gamefaqwatcher

5 months ago#5
That sounds good.
See you in WoD! Praise the sun! Diamond Dog is a Wolf! Currently playing: Dark Souls 1
Weebs refer to the mana series as Seiken Densetsu.

User Info: Dr_keith

5 months ago#6
So they reward people who spend money on their products?

How unheard of.
If you're worse than me: You're a n00b.
If you're better than me: You're a hacker.

User Info: -5xad0w-

5 months ago#7
It's funny, when I read the topic title I thought it would be about matching players who had purchased in-game items that might be seen as giving them an advantage together and thought: "The whales would never stand for that."

GG Activision.
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven

User Info: Cool_Dude667

5 months ago#8
This is pathetic, the way things are going in 10 years we will only have the mobile game market left.
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi

User Info: BrokenMachine85

5 months ago#9
That's the thing about greed, it's blind...
Ryzen 1600X @ 4GHz | MSI B350 'Tomahawk' | Corsair H90 | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Palit GTX 1080 OC @ 2GHz | 28" Acer Predator 4K G-SYNC 1ms

User Info: Jason_Hudson

5 months ago#10
So will people actually stand against this s*** or does it need to get worse? This is f***ing awful, but when you have people like Kotick in Activision, it's not unexpected.
Specs: i7 4790k@4.6GHz |EVGA 1080 FTW| 16GB RAM - GLORIOUS PC MASTER RACE!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Activision Granted Microtransaction Matchmaking Patent

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived