This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Slow WiFi Speed

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Slow WiFi Speed

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
6 months ago#11
Check the settings so it's not set to legacy speeds for maximum compatibility, or has a hard limit for each wireless device.

If you have another router, you can bridge the ISP's router, having it act just as a modem, and the other as the router. The routers that ISPs provide typically don't have a good reputation.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

User Info: wuphilly

wuphilly
6 months ago#12
I have an old Linksys router, do you think that would work better?

User Info: Iceylemon

Iceylemon
6 months ago#13
Yeah, the combo router is terrible. Combo routers have terrible range and penetration. That is probably the issue. Wouldn't hurt to try another router.

wuphilly
6 months ago#14
I guess I don't have my old router anymore... Do you think this one would max out my measly 25mb?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TP-LINK-AC1350-Wireless-Wi-Fi-Dual-Band-Router-Archer-C59/186735144

wuphilly
6 months ago#15
bump

User Info: GTRagnarok

GTRagnarok
6 months ago#16
Should be fine.
I want to be the very best, like no one ever was.

User Info: Ciera

Ciera
6 months ago#17
wuphilly posted...
bump

does your router operate on dual bands? does it support multiple segregated networks? a wifi network will ALWAYS operate as fast as the slowest device connected to it. so either, weed out whatever 802.11b or 802.11g device is connected to your network, or segregate devices so all b & g devices use one band, while all 802.11n and 802.11ac devices use their own dedicated band.
I'll... shave that cat.

User Info: Playsaver

Playsaver
6 months ago#18
Your Wi-Fi on what? If it is an older pc or usb dongle on that pc? You just might not have Wi-Fi on it that can go faster. You might need a new usb adapter or Wi-Fi card. I have an older laptop computer that can only go the 10mbs at max, so I use a Usb Wi-Fi adapter that can go much faster. Your slow speeds probably don't have anything to do with the router your using.

wuphilly
6 months ago#19
Playsaver posted...
Your Wi-Fi on what? If it is an older pc or usb dongle on that pc? You just might not have Wi-Fi on it that can go faster. You might need a new usb adapter or Wi-Fi card. I have an older laptop computer that can only go the 10mbs at max, so I use a Usb Wi-Fi adapter that can go much faster. Your slow speeds probably don't have anything to do with the router your using.

I do use a usb dongle on my PC. I might think that is the issue, but I get the same speeds on tests across all devices. My PC, my phone, and my wife's laptop. I'm thinking about buying a new router just to see if that increases the speed tests. If not, I can always just return it.

Edit: This is my usb wifi dongle.

https://www.amazon.com/OURLINK-600Mbps-802-11ac-Wireless-10-9-10-12-4/dp/B018TX8IDA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1508018983&sr=8-2&keywords=ourlink+ac600

wuphilly
6 months ago#20
FYI, I bought a new router and my speed is up where it should be... Crappy Centurylink Router...
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Slow WiFi Speed

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived