This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Dark Souls 1 even worth playing on PC?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is Dark Souls 1 even worth playing on PC?

User Info: zxxcman

zxxcman
5 months ago#21
Mute_Guardian7 posted...
The PC version is easily the best version; even without DSFix it runs better than the console versions. And with DSFix, the pleasures of high rendering resolutions and effects like AO really enhance the experience. Just don't try to run it at 60fps, as it's next to impossible to keep consistent on any PC (Seath always makes a friend's Titan XP setup choke) and it causes issues with hitboxes, jumping length, collision detection on certain ladders, etc.

Wait, what? I didn't play the game fully, but it ran with little to no issues 1080p@60fps on my old gtx 770 2GB. Even went through Blighttown. Although I admit I didn't play to Seath, but I can't imagine why anyone would have any serious issues with the game.
I used to have a good signature, then I got modded for it.
Now I shall try to think of something edgier to put here.

User Info: dioxxys

dioxxys
5 months ago#22
randomoaf posted...
It doesn't have Vsync so to me it's a little worse than the console version.

You know you can force Vsnyc through something like Nvidia Control panel right?

User Info: Bleu_Skie

Bleu_Skie
5 months ago#23
Yes. Quite an improvement over the ps3 version. I've played/own both.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/BleuSkie
It's important to know what the rules are first, so that, when you decide to break them, you can better judge the effect.

User Info: wentzelot

wentzelot
5 months ago#24
zxxcman posted...
Mute_Guardian7 posted...
The PC version is easily the best version; even without DSFix it runs better than the console versions. And with DSFix, the pleasures of high rendering resolutions and effects like AO really enhance the experience. Just don't try to run it at 60fps, as it's next to impossible to keep consistent on any PC (Seath always makes a friend's Titan XP setup choke) and it causes issues with hitboxes, jumping length, collision detection on certain ladders, etc.

Wait, what? I didn't play the game fully, but it ran with little to no issues 1080p@60fps on my old gtx 770 2GB. Even went through Blighttown. Although I admit I didn't play to Seath, but I can't imagine why anyone would have any serious issues with the game.

as he stated, 60 fps causes problems with hitboxes, jumps, collision, etc . game is one of those games that are meant to be run at 30 fps . and it runs smoother on pc than console anyways so that's enough for me .

User Info: randomoaf

randomoaf
5 months ago#25
dioxxys posted...
randomoaf posted...

Didn't work for me. The only way I can get Vsync to work is putting it in borderless window and in doing so, I can't run the higher resolutions either as it looks distorted.

User Info: gideond

gideond
5 months ago#26
randomoaf posted...
dioxxys posted...
randomoaf posted...

Didn't work for me. The only way I can get Vsync to work is putting it in borderless window and in doing so, I can't run the higher resolutions either as it looks distorted.

I made sure V-sync was disabled and it always ran smooth for me with the exception of some flicker in very tight tunnels.
http://www.poppameth.com
http://darkling.poppameth.com

User Info: wentzelot

wentzelot
5 months ago#27
randomoaf posted...

this a joke? anything is better than the 10fps blightown on consoles

User Info: Jedi454

Jedi454
5 months ago#28
wentzelot posted...
randomoaf posted...

this a joke? anything is better than the 10fps blightown on consoles

Agreed, got disgusting fps on the 360 version.
England is my city.

User Info: Death_Born

Death_Born
5 months ago#29
wentzelot posted...
as he stated, 60 fps causes problems with hitboxes, jumps, collision, etc . game is one of those games that are meant to be run at 30 fps . and it runs smoother on pc than console anyways so that's enough for me .

You can press Backspace to re-enable 30 fps temporarily to pull off the one or 2 very long jumps (which are still doable in 60 fps, just need better timing).

It doesn't cause problems with hitboxes at all whatsoever, the only issues it has is:

* Jumps are slightly shorter.
* Bonfires can glitch if you leave too fast. Wait till you sat down before leaving.
* Falling through floor in some Undead Burg ladders and nowhere else. Solution: don't slide down in Undead Burg, or quit and reload if you fall through floor.

Also, for those who say it's "meant" to be 30 fps, no, it's not. DS2 and DS3 are both 60 fps/30 on console.

User Info: randomoaf

randomoaf
5 months ago#30
gideond posted...
randomoaf posted...
dioxxys posted...
randomoaf posted...

I made sure V-sync was disabled and it always ran smooth for me with the exception of some flicker in very tight tunnels.

I'm on AMD. Forced Vsync in the Radeon panel doesn't work for DS1.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is Dark Souls 1 even worth playing on PC?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived