This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is it possible to have Steam STOP making me verify my age?

User Info: rhoadsofrock

rhoadsofrock
4 years ago#1
I'm 27 years old (28 in November), and any time I get on Steam, either to play something or look up games on the store (either for price, add to wishlist or what ever else), any time I go to search for a game that's "M" rated, I ALWAYS have to go through the extra minute or two of "select the month of your birthday", "select the day of your birthday", "select the year of your birthday".....

It's getting annoying. Since Steam requires users to be logged in to even play or search for games, and I'm sure I have my date of birth set somewhere in my accounts settings, WHY do I have to verify every single time I want to look up a game that's "M"?

Is there some setting I can select that turns this annoyance off?

The only rational or logical reason I can see for this, is if parents let their kids use Steam. I am no parent, and even if I had kids, I would just let them make a separate account with their DOB and probably monitor their usage, or give them the "ok" or "no" on if they want certain games.
Oh wow, I can set one of these now, awesome.

User Info: -5xad0w-

-5xad0w-
4 years ago#2
Once I set the day/month/year in Steam it stays set until I reinstall the client, not sure why you have to select it every time. (i don't ever recall changing any sort of setting for this)

Also, if it takes you a minute or two to select 3 things from a drop down menu (or more likely, one since 99% of the world's internet using population was born on January 1st) you may have problems that extend beyond Steam.
"There is no knowledge that is not power."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

User Info: RyanEsau

RyanEsau
4 years ago#3
Don't think so.

I don't really have a issue with it though, Steam makes me do it everytime as well but it also automatically has my birthday filled out into the field, so I just hit enter and move on. Don't need to bother with the drop down selection.

Not sure why it can't just automatically let me view the stuff since it obviously knows my age. After inputting the first time, I think it just saved it and automatically uses it each time, but I still have to hit Enter.

Is there actually something on our accounts for our birthday though? I don't remember something like that.
PSN: RyanEsau | https://psnprofiles.com/RyanEsau
PC: i7-6700K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 OC | https://www.steamcommunity.com/id/gamingtothemax

User Info: rhoadsofrock

rhoadsofrock
4 years ago#4
-5xad0w- posted...
Also, if it takes you a minute or two to select 3 things from a drop down menu (or more likely, one since 99% of the world's internet using population was born on January 1st) you may have problems that extend beyond Steam.

That was just my exaggeration, it's probably between 10 and 30 seconds usually. It's still annoying.

RyanEsau posted...
Don't think so.

I don't really have a issue with it though, Steam makes me do it everytime as well but it also automatically has my birthday filled out into the field, so I just hit enter and move on. Don't need to bother with the drop down selection.

Not sure why it can't just automatically let me view the stuff since it obviously knows my age. After inputting the first time, I think it just saved it and automatically uses it each time, but I still have to hit Enter.

Is there actually something on our accounts for our birthday though? I don't remember something like that.

I don't exactly remember when I made my Steam account, but I'm pretty sure somewhere DOB info had to be registered..... I guess it's easy for me to feel like something like this is an annoyance, when almost anything else can be compared and proven other services aren't like this. It's like with Blizzard and battle.net, you don't have to even click "enter" after verifying age or DOB, and never need to verify age or DOB.

I just now tried with another game, drop-down fields were filled in automatically just like you said, but I noticed a text below:

http://i.imgur.com/kkWUjyQ.png

I feel like there should be a check-box option for "remember this information next time" or "always". I don't know if there's a way of suggesting this to Steam or anything like that, but anyway, figured I would check here =\

Edit: Also, I reinstalled Steam a week or so back. I think I've reinstalled Steam once on my current PC, ever since building it in November of 2015. I was having weird problems with different stuff on my PC (turned out it was problems with graphics card drivers), and one thing I had done with Steam was checked the option of it entering big picture mode every time it launches, and that started preventing Steam from even launching or opening. I didn't know how to change that, so I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, did not change it, but I eventually figured out what was causing the problems, fixed it, and Steam was finally able to launch and open.

Point is, I had to reinstall the Steam client, so that is probably why I had to select all the "month", "day" and "year" info again. I do remember it auto-filling and just needing to click "enter" before recently.
Oh wow, I can set one of these now, awesome.

User Info: VoidNoodle

VoidNoodle
4 years ago#5
There's an extension for Chrome called Enhanced Steam that does this, plus some other features.

Haven't found any for the client though.
2018 Goal: set any score lmao
HHKB Pro 2 | Ducky One TKL RGB | Quickfire TK | Corsair K90

User Info: loader963

loader963
4 years ago#6
I am just like the tc. It's a nuisance even if it is already filled out and it's just one extra click.
I can be patient, but I'm not waiting!

User Info: Black_Assassin

Black_Assassin
4 years ago#7
This data is for verification purposes only and will not be stored.

Yet for some reason the date you've entered is there the next time you see the prompt.
Want to cure diseases with your spare computing power?
http://folding.stanford.edu/

User Info: Hmgb

Hmgb
4 years ago#8
It is highly annoying, but I have not found a workaround.

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
4 years ago#9
Black_Assassin posted...
Yet for some reason the date you've entered is there the next time you see the prompt.

Indeed. I don't know why OP would have to set the date every time, but in both the client and the browser, the date stays for me. Unless they are clearing cookies/browser history or using different browsers or something, the information should stay on.

Although to be fair, that didn't use to be the case - in the past (3-ish years ago?) it didn't and I did have to enter the date every time. Admittedly, that was very annoying.

Hmgb posted...
It is highly annoying, but I have not found a workaround.

When I was getting this (again, years ago), I kind of looked into it. The date was stored in a cookie that was easy to find. It is there for a while (a day? a week?), so, in theory, you should be able to set the cookie to never expire and you'd be fine. You can use browser addons like CookieManager+ to easily do that.

I don't know if things changed since then but you can give it a go. I'll try to look into it again but it's a bit hard to test this (waiting for something to expire that might get randomly purged) but I'll post results.
The owls are not what they seem.

User Info: deadjohndoe

deadjohndoe
4 years ago#10
You don't have to set your actual age, it's not linked to your profile in any way. Just scroll down the years list to something pre-90's and you're set. It takes 3 seconds.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is it possible to have Steam STOP making me verify my age?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A