This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What exactly makes DOOM a 78.5gb install?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What exactly makes DOOM a 78.5gb install?

User Info: josh_b

josh_b
1 year ago#31
sylverlolol posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
ThePCElitist posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Knighted Dragon posted...
Lazy devs and nothing more

Honestly this. All compression seems to have been forgotten.

Get a higher capacity drive.

That's not really the problem though. Doom is an on rails shooter with fairly minimal graphics and sounds and variations.
Gw2, 27gb, Probably 1000 times bigger.
My sloppily modded Skyrim filled with random source files, uncompressed audio and textures, and several different worlds and full DLC, only 40gb. Again, 1000 times more game and graphics than DOOM.

So where is this girth coming from?

Gothic 3 modded, 3gb.
Gotham Arkham City, 18gb
Dishonoured, 6gb
Dragon Age Origins modded, 18gb
Fable 3, 11gb
EVE online, 19gb

I could go on and on with prettier and larger games that are 1/4 the size of DOOM.

you...what?

DOOM is a far better looking game than 90% of what you listed. The game looks damn good @ 1440p. Size of the world isn't the sole determining factor for file size.

+1

guy is crazy if he thinks any of those games modded or not looks better than DOOM then he is nuts.
i7 5820k,Asus x99-Deluxe Mobo, Noctua D15 Cooler, Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR4, Samsung 840 Evo 1TB SSD, Samsung 2TB HDD, Zotac GTX 1070 Amp Extreme

User Info: Binba442

Binba442
1 year ago#32
At least it didn't do a TitanFall. 30gbs of uncompressed foreign audio.

Games should really optimize this with options.
- Choose which texture qualities to download, offering HQ textures as free DLC
- Choose which audio language to download

User Info: Chaos_Missile

Chaos_Missile
1 year ago#33
Ganondorf007 posted...
I remember when Fallout 1 and 2 called a full CD-ROM install of 650 MB as a HUMONGOUS INSTALL in all caps.

Command & Conquer.
A whooping TWO 650MB CDs

Ah...those were the days.
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008

User Info: AimlessDork

AimlessDork
1 year ago#34
Ganondorf007 posted...
I remember when Fallout 1 and 2 called a full CD-ROM install of 650 MB as a HUMONGOUS INSTALL in all caps.

i still have a floppy copy of shadowpresident somewhere in our basement that discusses how a few megabytes will trigger a warning on your harddrive being full if need be
GTX 1070, i7-6700, NZXT Phantom 530, W10
Ps4. Ps3. PC. 3DS

User Info: Ironmind91

Ironmind91
1 year ago#35
78gb are you f***ing serious? Wow, that's nuts!
Stand forth you coward, you so called 'saviour' save your world or watch it burn
http://valid.x86.fr/ynff0e

User Info: XNo_FearX

XNo_FearX
1 year ago#36
Gears of war 4 is 84gb
PSN: Ctx_Ghost
i7 471HQ - 8GB Ram - GTX 960M -256gb SSD - W10

User Info: claytonbuckley

claytonbuckley
1 year ago#37
SinisterSlay posted...
Dragon Nexus posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Doom is an on rails shooter

Yeah, you might wanna look up what that is.

I played the demo, it involved walking tiny corridors and tiny maps in a straight line shooting and stuff as it came running at me. It was pretty basic.
I recall the original doom have some semblance of puzzle in the first level at least.

You played the demo. You clearly know everything about the game and clearly have every right to judge the entire game based on that

Not the brightest crayon in the pack are you.

User Info: Golden_Gonads

Golden_Gonads
1 year ago#38
Low compression means that the game can access data faster making it less demanding on your computer - After all, it's not using those system resources to unpack data.

User Info: Born Lucky

Born Lucky
1 year ago#39
Orestes417 posted...
High res textures and high quality audio,

There are games with 20x the content of Doom, that have high quality textures and no where near 78GB.
So . . .
try again
Corsair 550D/ Gigabyte Z170X Gaming3 / Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2666 / i-5 6600k / MSI Twin Frozr VI GTX 1060 / Thermaltake NiC C5

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
1 year ago#40
Golden_Gonads posted...
Low compression means that the game can access data faster making it less demanding on your computer - After all, it's not using those system resources to unpack data.

Reading a small file off disk and decompressing it is significantly faster than reading a large file.
That's why we've been compressing files for as long as I can remember. Yes each year the compression was reduced, but never removed entirely. It looks like we've removed it entirely.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What exactly makes DOOM a 78.5gb install?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived