This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. transferred PC to new case and SSD and Hard drive not showing up

User Info: josh_b

josh_b
2 years ago#1
Decided to give my little brother my wife's system after she left me about two weeks ago. Put everything in a new case for him and now neither the SSD or the regular hard drive i had in it are not showing up. ive tried swapping Sata ports and checking the power connections to the drives themselves but nothing is showing up in the bios.

All i get is a notification on boot that no hard drive is detected and goes straight to the efi shell and informs me that the efi shell cannot find required map name and requires me to type exit to even get to the bios themselves.

What could be the problem? I could understand if it was a faulty drive but i wouldnt think both would go out at the same time. Figure it may be the Sata cables themselves or that the Sata ports died on me. Is there a simple solution that im overlooking?
i7 5820k,Asus x99-Deluxe Mobo, Noctua D15 Cooler, Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR4, Samsung 840 Evo 1TB SSD, Samsung 2TB HDD, Zotac GTX 1070 Amp Extreme

User Info: iemerg_

iemerg_
2 years ago#2
Does the BIOS have Legacy/UEFI options? try them out, sometimes drives will only show on LEGACY.
6700K@4.5 - 980 TI - EVGA 850 - 16GB DDR4 - Z170 FTW
H110i GTX - Evolv ATX - 500GB SAMSUNG SSD - 1TB WD BLACK

josh_b
2 years ago#3
iemerg_ posted...
Does the BIOS have Legacy/UEFI options? try them out, sometimes drives will only show on LEGACY.

figured i ill try to clear the CMOS. i didn't dig much further than looking to see if the drives were recognized
i7 5820k,Asus x99-Deluxe Mobo, Noctua D15 Cooler, Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR4, Samsung 840 Evo 1TB SSD, Samsung 2TB HDD, Zotac GTX 1070 Amp Extreme

User Info: ein311

ein311
2 years ago#4
iemerg_ posted...

Assuming no BIOS settings were cleared due to a loose battery/etc while moving, I don't see how this would be part of the problem... although it is something that you should address.
I figure, reasonably, if your time/date settings and every other setting you may have adjusted in the BIOS are still applied properly, you're not going to get very far adjusting Legacy/UEFI settings.

If the drives themselves aren't showing up in the drive list, first I'd check is to make sure the drives still function on their own. Pull a drive and hook it up to an external dock, or into another computer, and see if it works.
Also, trace back each cable from the drive and make sure the connections are secure.
If you have a modular power supply, make sure both ends are hooked up properly.

If you have other SATA cables handy, try using those. Maybe the SATA cables went bad during the transfer.
If you have a multimeter handy, check the power coming out of the power supply and see if there are any irregularities with the voltage being provided by the connectors.
Man your own jackhammer
Man your battlestations

josh_b
2 years ago#5
ein311 posted...
iemerg_ posted...

Assuming no BIOS settings were cleared due to a loose battery/etc while moving, I don't see how this would be part of the problem... although it is something that you should address.
I figure, reasonably, if your time/date settings and every other setting you may have adjusted in the BIOS are still applied properly, you're not going to get very far adjusting Legacy/UEFI settings.

If the drives themselves aren't showing up in the drive list, first I'd check is to make sure the drives still function on their own. Pull a drive and hook it up to an external dock, or into another computer, and see if it works.
Also, trace back each cable from the drive and make sure the connections are secure.
If you have a modular power supply, make sure both ends are hooked up properly.

If you have other SATA cables handy, try using those. Maybe the SATA cables went bad during the transfer.
If you have a multimeter handy, check the power coming out of the power supply and see if there are any irregularities with the voltage being provided by the connectors.

Sadly no multimeter but im thinking it has to be the power supply. will pull it and drop another one in the morning and see if that remedies the problem.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. transferred PC to new case and SSD and Hard drive not showing up
  • Topic Archived