This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Barring space issues, why not use a TV over a monitor?

User Info: josh_b

josh_b
2 years ago#21
I play on a 42 inch westinghouse tv that is like 4 years old and i constantly finish at the top or near the top in any FPS i play. So i think the importance of input lag is really a minimum until it reaches the extremes.
i7 5820k,Asus x99-Deluxe Mobo, Noctua D15 Cooler, Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR4, Samsung 840 Evo 1TB SSD, Samsung 2TB HDD, Zotac GTX 1070 Amp Extreme

User Info: iemerg_

iemerg_
2 years ago#22
Oxn518 posted...
If you dont care about stuff like g-sync and higher refresh rate as well.

Are TVs worst for your eyes?

Tvs look washed out in comparison to monitors and have bad viewing angles also the input lag on Tvs is horrendous.

Tvs for console, monitors for pc thats how it works I can't stand people who use Tvs as monitors and think it looks just as good aND has the same input lag.
6700K@4.5 - 980 TI - EVGA 850 - 16GB DDR4 - Z170 FTW
H110i GTX - Evolv ATX - 500GB SAMSUNG SSD - 1TB WD BLACK

iemerg_
2 years ago#23
The cranky hermit posted...
Oxn518 posted...
what is making TVs response time worst than monitors?

Post-processing features, basically. All of which should be turned off, because without exception they do more harm than good. These features are designed to make their TV stand out on the showroom, where image integrity is less important, and input lag doesn't matter at all.

But seriously, if you have a TV, turn off that stupid crap. If the producers intended the show to run at 120fps with ridiculously saturated colors, they would have mastered it that way. And if they did master it that way, then your TV post-processing is amplifying the effect beyond their intent.

Oxn518 posted...
Theres gotta be a bigger reason as to why a nice monitor cost so much more than a TV.

Probably because you're looking at a cheap TV. Edge-lit LED TVs suck. Good quality full array LEDs easily run over $800, and OLEDs cost thousands.

You can get a 50" full array 4k tv with dimming zones for around $500 I don't know what you're smoking.

iemerg_
2 years ago#24
LOLIAmAnAlt posted...
Input lag, but then I found that my friends TV had a gaming mode which took the lag away.

I use a Plasma TV and there is no input lag

Gaming mode helps but then it looks like crap and enjoy your image retention burn in on that plasma using it as a monitor lol pretty dumb imho to use plasma as a monitor, eventually your icons and task bar will he permenable embedded.

User Info: TiamatKiller

TiamatKiller
2 years ago#25
1) Though not a large delta, TVs still have worse input lag than monitors.

2) Refresh rates sometimes aren't what they appear to be.

3) Many TVs have overscanning by default, and sometimes you don't have an option to disable it.

4) No Freesync/GSYNC/Adaptive VSYNC.

I imagine we'll be seeing TVs that don't have these issues relatively soon in the future, though.
i5-3570k @3.4GHZ | GTX 1070 FTW| Asus P8Z77-V Pro | 16GB RAM | Zalman 9900 MAX | CoolerMaster HAF 912

User Info: Hexenherz

Hexenherz
2 years ago#26
I use a TV, don't have problems with input lag but I can say it sucks for gaming sometimes, especially for strategy games or RPGs where text size doesn't scale to the display size. Other than that it's pretty cool.

User Info: builder111

builder111
2 years ago#27
Rexdragon125 posted...
TVs are awful for games.

*Press jump*
*Fall asleep*
*Character finally jumps*

I know about game mode but that does jack all.

Bs
caps

User Info: builder111

builder111
2 years ago#28
So much misinformation. Tvs are perfectly fine
caps

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
2 years ago#29
I'm sure there's some TV somewhere that I'd be happy enough with, I'm not especially hard to please, but I've yet to find that TV. Contrary to that, I haven't really found a monitor that didn't meet my not-especially-high standards. I've had a few laptops that I wish had better viewing angles so that I didn't have to adjust the screen every time I shifted ever so slightly in my seat but that's about it.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

User Info: Bleu_Skie

Bleu_Skie
2 years ago#30
Monitors have more features important to gaming. Just in general. I also have less eye strain with monitors, but that is a ymmv.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/BleuSkie
It's important to know what the rules are first, so that, when you decide to break them, you can better judge the effect.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Barring space issues, why not use a TV over a monitor?
  • Topic Archived