This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. ISPs- Exede vs Windstream

User Info: Iceylemon

Iceylemon
2 years ago#11
Windstream without a doubt. Way faster, less latency, cheaper, and no caps.

User Info: Blulightning

Blulightning
2 years ago#12
lightningbugx posted...
Blulightning posted...
lightningbugx posted...
Unless you can get involved with a MEO satellite network, satellite internet is only better than dial-up. Cellular internet is better.

I know Cellular systems use relay towers, but don't the towers connect to satellites, making them pretty much the same thing?

I thought that is how Cell companies worked.

All of your cell towers connect to the rest of the world through either a fiber cable or copper wire. They don't uplink to a satellite. A satellite uplink would be located in a different location.

For remote locations that can't get a wired connection, they can make the jump with a dedicated radio connection or through a MEO satellite network. There are MEO satellite networks, but they are far more expensive due to requiring a handful of satellites as they are not geostationary. These MEO satellite networks are commonly used to connect communication and internet providers in remote locations, not residences or businesses.

Really now?
Hmm, learn somethin' new every day I guess.
... Said me.

User Info: josh_b

josh_b
2 years ago#13
Blulightning posted...
lightningbugx posted...
Blulightning posted...
lightningbugx posted...
Unless you can get involved with a MEO satellite network, satellite internet is only better than dial-up. Cellular internet is better.

I know Cellular systems use relay towers, but don't the towers connect to satellites, making them pretty much the same thing?

I thought that is how Cell companies worked.

All of your cell towers connect to the rest of the world through either a fiber cable or copper wire. They don't uplink to a satellite. A satellite uplink would be located in a different location.

For remote locations that can't get a wired connection, they can make the jump with a dedicated radio connection or through a MEO satellite network. There are MEO satellite networks, but they are far more expensive due to requiring a handful of satellites as they are not geostationary. These MEO satellite networks are commonly used to connect communication and internet providers in remote locations, not residences or businesses.

Really now?
Hmm, learn somethin' new every day I guess.

Exactly Ive used my cell data for years to play games on my pc simply because it was faster than the slow DSL i had at the time. My ping on a 4g LTE connetion was around 50.... On DSL i was lucky if it was under 120. I used my DSL to download and update all my games and when it came time to play i would turn on my cell phone hotspot. So no way was it being passed over sat at any point with a decent ping like that.

Thankfully those days are over. I built a house on my parents land but unfortunately could not get internet at my residence either... Suddenlink stated it would cost me around 10 grand for them to run a line to my house. My Parents house however which was only 300ft away could access it. I simply ran 300ft of cat cable thru a conduit buried in the ground to my house with a another router. 150mb down and 20mb up and completely unlimited Data. I split the bill which comes to 28 bucks or so a month.
i7 5820k,Asus x99-Deluxe Mobo, Noctua D15 Cooler, Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR4, Samsung 840 Evo 1TB SSD, Samsung 2TB HDD, Zotac GTX 1070 Amp Extreme

Blulightning
2 years ago#14
josh_b posted...
I simply ran 300ft of cat cable thru a conduit buried in the ground to my house with a another router.

lol, is that even legal?...
... Said me.

User Info: lightningbugx

lightningbugx
2 years ago#15
Blulightning posted...
josh_b posted...
I simply ran 300ft of cat cable thru a conduit buried in the ground to my house with a another router.

It isn't exactly "illegal", but it is against most ISP contracts if his house is a different property. You are not breaking any laws, so the most the ISP can do is terminate the contract and charge any special termination fees.

And the way businesses operate in general, it is only illegal if you are caught. Never give your employees a reason to read the laws and regulation over wages and such.
Core i7-4930K, 2x Radeon R9 390X, 4x4GB 2133MHz DDR3 RAM, GA X79-UD3
x86 is holding back PCs.

Blulightning
2 years ago#16
lightningbugx posted...
Blulightning posted...
josh_b posted...

It isn't exactly "illegal", but it is against most ISP contracts if his house is a different property. You are not breaking any laws, so the most the ISP can do is terminate the contract and charge any special termination fees.

And the way businesses operate in general, it is only illegal if you are caught. Never give your employees a reason to read the laws and regulation over wages and such.

I meant running your own wire through the "conduit". Those are typically on city property and several companies typically run their lines through them.
It's just like telephone poles... It's illegal to do pretty much anything with those, especially running your own lines on them. The 'conduits' are kind of like underground telephone poles, so I figured similar laws applied to them.
... Said me.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. ISPs- Exede vs Windstream
  • Topic Archived