This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is No Man's Sky overrated and being overhyped up to its release?

User Info: Beasthunt

Beasthunt
3 years ago#21
Dragon Nexus posted...
yohabroha posted...
fatali posted...
I watched a twitch stream today of this game, it looked like a less square minecraft, without the building part, all you do is explore, recollect resources and craft equipment.

Well in all fairness the game never really claimed to be anything else. People kinda took the general concept and added their own ideas of what it SHOULD be and just ran with that

See, I'd been asking for ages what the point of the game was. what you actually DO and why it would be fun.

People always gave me answers like "Isn't that enough!?" and I was like "No, I'd like some context and motivation to do stuff, not just do it for its own sake".

I didn't want to be a smart arse or anything, I genuinely wanted people to explain why the core gameplay loop was going to be fun. If the core gameplay loop is simply gathering items to make things to help you gather more items to make more things etc then that sounds kinda pointless. Anyone to interact with? Any missions to do? Any building or something?

The beautiful irony is when people make a list and say "this is all you do!", when every game ever is repetitive. Shoot this person, take this over here, protect this person, drive this here.

To answer your question, NMS is a survival exploration game with gathering and RPG elements. A ridiculously large sandbox where you meet new things at seemingly every corner. Every level or planet is different. The main goal to some is to get to the center of the galaxy as fast as they can. For others its the experience of finding new species, new topography on planets, meeting random aliens and learning their languages through various acts, naming the planets, species, and solar systems. Trading, gathering resources to replenish fuel and your equipment; to meet random traders and purchase their ships if you want. Exploration, trading, combat.

It baffles me how people say there is nothing to do in a game like NMS but will play the same map in BLOPS 35 a thousand times a week.
Gamertag: Beasthunt, PSN: Beasthunt, Steam: Beasthunt
Acts 2:38

User Info: Xialoh

Xialoh
3 years ago#22
I have to say, at this point the only thing really bugging me about No Man's Sky is the realization that you won't actually find any civilization anywhere. Exploring what....18 quintillion planets or something, finding space pirates all over, and not one single planet with a large city in it or anything? I'd like to think I could stumble across something like that somewhere.
"Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be." - Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game

User Info: KingDFizzle

KingDFizzle
3 years ago#23
Probably one of the most overhyped games ever. It was extremely clear when it was first revealed it would end up being a gazillion miles wide and half an inch deep. That's exactly what it turned out to be. The rabid hype over this thing was disgusting, but that's to be expected from Sony fanboys trying to score internet points in the all-important console "war."

User Info: FlyinTonite

FlyinTonite
3 years ago#24
I get why people like it but I'm waiting to see what they do with updates. I feel like once you burn through 15-20 planets you're going to end up being burnt out. If the game was 30 bucks I'd pick it up but for 60 it's too much for me. If they had condensed the game into, say, 50 planets or so and added a civilization building component I would've been on board
Life is tough, like real tough, like tough plus tough times tough to the power of tough.

User Info: Damaged7

Damaged7
3 years ago#25
KingDFizzle posted...
Probably one of the most overhyped games ever. It was extremely clear when it was first revealed it would end up being a gazillion miles wide and half an inch deep. That's exactly what it turned out to be. The rabid hype over this thing was disgusting, but that's to be expected from Sony fanboys trying to score internet points in the all-important console "war."

Why do people act like its the developers who have been overhyping this game? They were pretty modest about what it is and what it contains...its gamers who overhype the crap out of it. If you fall for that hype its your own fault. Any rational, intelligent person can see what the game will be and make a choice if its for them or not.
Bold Text

User Info: gatorattack05

gatorattack05
3 years ago#26
No TrackIR support and barebones HOTAS support means wait to play for me

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
3 years ago#27
Beasthunt posted...
It baffles me how people say there is nothing to do in a game like NMS but will play the same map in BLOPS 35 a thousand times a week.

Okay, let me explain something.
"Every game is repetitive" is nonsense. Repetitive is generally seen as a negative trait. You can repeat the same action over and over without something being repetitive. what *you're* talking about is the core gameplay loop. Repetitive suggests that loop is *boring*.

And that was always my question. Yes, I know what you're meant to do. Land on planets, see wildlife (maybe), collect resources and upgrade your ship. My question is *what have that done to make those elements fun?*

In CoD, for example, it's got a great gun combat system. The core gameplay loop for single player is move forward and shoot stuff. But the gun combat is made fun with varied weapons, differing maps with flows of enemies plus their AI as well as the set pieces. The game is more than the one or two line description of what you actually do.

NMS's answer of "What you do" is always the same barebones "Fly, explore, gather, sell" answer but no explaination of "What else"? To what end? Why is doing any of that *fun*? For Skyrim you explore because you might find a fun side story, or a cool weapon, or a new shout, or some interesting lore or *something*. If NMS's ony goal is to find items to buy stuff to allow you to find more items...that's kinda dull.

So to sum up, don't confuse repetitive with a core gameplay loop. It's the same silly argument that "All games are RPGs. I mean you're always playing a role, right?" which misses the point entirely.
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde

User Info: TurboAE86

TurboAE86
3 years ago#28
See u in game = glorify devs and get griefed = glorify griefing and join my crew = dont erase this comment = u play for space exploration = then promote griefing = not exploration and kill boring innocent npc's = repent and obey
"Most villainously of all, they took our touge" CosmicChrist
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is No Man's Sky overrated and being overhyped up to its release?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A