This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Upgrade from a GT 720?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Upgrade from a GT 720?

User Info: AndreLeGeant

AndreLeGeant
2 years ago#11
You likely have anywhere from a 300W to a 500W power supply. You can probably find out on the back of your desktop. Thankfully, the more recent cards are very power efficient compared to just a few generations ago.
I don't drink. I don't smoke. I don't do drugs. I am your sXe hero.
They should build a mosque in mecca. Right next to the dome of the rock. -- Lord Sideous

User Info: halomonkey1_3_5

halomonkey1_3_5
2 years ago#12
an i5 and a GT 720 sounds a lot like a prebuilt and if so, you probably have a really crappy power supply so you'll probably top out at a GTX 950 unless you invest in a new power supply
Billy Mays: July 20, 1958 - June 28, 2009
The Greatest

User Info: anon_fire

anon_fire
2 years ago#13
halomonkey1_3_5 posted...
an i5 and a GT 720 sounds a lot like a prebuilt and if so, you probably have a really crappy power supply so you'll probably top out at a GTX 950 unless you invest in a new power supply

Yeah, you probably guessed right that my PSU is not that good to handle the latest graphics cards.
3DS Friend Code: 2621-2631-7986

AndreLeGeant
2 years ago#14
The wattage for a 960 is pretty damn low iirc.
They should build a mosque in mecca. Right next to the dome of the rock. -- Lord Sideous

User Info: anon_fire

anon_fire
2 years ago#15
Oh, I also forgot to add that I have no intention of investing into VR.
3DS Friend Code: 2621-2631-7986

AndreLeGeant
2 years ago#16
You're probably safe with a 960 and certainly safe with a 950. You could possibly put in a 1060 as well when it comes out. If you get a 960, wait for the 1060 to come out because it'll drop in price.

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
2 years ago#17
AndreLeGeant posted...

A 960 is a utter waste of money especially with the 480 being out
Trump for president 2016
Time Pharaoh is mah b****

AndreLeGeant
2 years ago#18
Fade2black001 posted...
AndreLeGeant posted...

A 960 is a utter waste of money especially with the 480 being out

It is except the 480 apparently requires up to 300W to run Witcher 3 and can fry your mobo.

User Info: Pox

Pox
2 years ago#19
TC, was this a prebuilt? If so, you'll probably need a new PSU. Other wise I would check out the 480 or the 470.
FX-6300 | Gigabyte 970A | 8GB DDR3 RAM | 1TB HDD + 128 GB Intel 530 SSD | Sapphire R9 280 | EVGA SuperNova 750W | Fractal Define R4

AndreLeGeant
2 years ago#20
Not all prebuilts have bad PSUs. Even cheap ones. I remember having a crappy eMachine like 10 years ago and was still able to put in the equivalent to the 960 back then. Plus I notice that a number of prebuilts now have decent parts, but they just throw in a cheap video card because a lot of the customers don't need anything more. Even casual MMO gamer types don't need more than a 720 really.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Upgrade from a GT 720?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived