This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My C drive keeps running low on space randomly

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. My C drive keeps running low on space randomly

User Info: Blackmon

Blackmon
2 years ago#1
Hello everyone.

I've been having this problem the last couple of months. When I first built this computer, I partitioned a 1tb hdd into 100gb for the OS and the other 900gb for installing games and such.

I don't know what's happening but I keep running out of space on the C drive. yesterday, I have 1-2 gb free space. I didn't download anything, This morning, I turn on my computer to see that I only have 100mb space left.

This keeps on happening. I would suddenly get 1-2 gb of free space then suddenly, I'll be down to less than 200mb left even though I have never downloaded anything. Even if I download, I always download on the separate drive.

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to clean out unnecessary files on my C drive. I was able to free up about 4 gb of space. But as the weeks went on, that space slowly disappeared. I didn't download anything new or I don't think there was any updates that were done. I've also made sure that system restore only takes about 1gb. And cleaning temporary files only frees up about 100mb. So I don't know what's really happening.

Is there anyway I could stop this or fix it?

Thanks and have a nice day.
Http://www.Blackmon.com/

User Info: dunkis

dunkis
2 years ago#2
First off, download windirstat, the portable version works nicely too.

My first suspicion is a corrupted/failing Windows update. As a tech, I saw the problem a good number of times where an update would consistently fail and leave files behind. These files are usually safe to delete. I forget exactly what folder it is that they show up in, but we'll know for sure if you run windirstat and see a specific directory is taking up all the space. Second, did you press the clean up system files button when doing a disk cleanup? Pressing that will present more options, including one to clean up windows updates.
NNID: TheDunc | Steam: Sir Soyeldimzelf

User Info: SpazH3d

SpazH3d
2 years ago#3
Try this maybe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9mTSm_k6JF8#t=158
- My vision is augmented

User Info: JMRK73

JMRK73
2 years ago#4
Could be system restore points as well.

I'd recommend TreeSizeFree from Jam Software. Will show you very quickly where the storage is being used.

If you're that low on space you should really consider a new hard drive, they are dirt cheap.

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
2 years ago#5
Your page file and temporary directories can cause a full disk error but that shouldn't pop up overnight. It sounds like a Windows Update thing, or perhaps another program that you might have set to auto update. I'd start with running a cleanup tool, CCleaner works, clearing out your windows update folder in case there's a problem there, and cleaning out your AMD/nVidia folder since those driver updates can be hundreds of MB each and they stay in the folder even after you've used them. I can't imagine a Windows install bloating up that big.

Personally I was having a problem with trying to unpack a 10 gig zip file that ended up in the 40 gig range when it was done. I only had 30-35 gigs free on the SSD I use for C and if you drag and drop the files from 7zip to a folder then it unpacks to C and copies them over to whatever disk/partition you were wanting the files on. To get around that I opened up a second instance of 7zip, directed it to the folder on the disk I wanted to use, and then dragging and dropping to that instead of directly to the folder, that bypasses the temporary cache.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

Blackmon
2 years ago#6
Thanks all. I already did Spaz's suggestion a long while ago. I found that youtube video and did it. I thought that was the problem at first but it wasn't.

As for HDDs, I have 4 overall HDD installed. 1 1tb, 2 500gb, and 1 250gb. I only had the 1tb when I first built this computer so I had 100gb partitioned strictly for windows only. I salvaged those 3 other hdds from my dead gaming laptop and a broken DVR.

I kind of don't want to do a clean install because that might mess up some of the games and mods I had installed on the other drives.

I download windirstat that Dunkis suggested. I found that there are 30gb worth of back up PS Vita games in my documents folder. I thought I put those on other drives but I guess not. I'm transferring those to other drives now as we speak.

I looked at the windows folder. It says it's 25gb big only so I'm not sure if that's causing any problem.
The biggest files in there is winsxs at 13.9 gb and system 32 at 5.2 gb.

Thanks for Windirstat. It's very helpful. I didn't know my Bioware save files (DA 1,2, Inquisition, ME 1,2,3) save files are taking 5gb worth of space. But overall, Vita is the worst offender with a whopping 36gb worth of back up files.

Hopefully, I will not lose 40gb worth of free space within months.

But I still couldn't figure out what causes me to lose hdd space.

User Info: loki00_00

loki00_00
2 years ago#7
I don't know if this will help but I had similar problems because of restore points, also if you have hundreds of gigs worth of games on Steam, it's possible Steam is automatically updating them which can get pretty huge with some games.
The official Oni of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board

Blackmon
2 years ago#8
loki00_00 posted...
I don't know if this will help but I had similar problems because of restore points, also if you have hundreds of gigs worth of games on Steam, it's possible Steam is automatically updating them which can get pretty huge with some games.

I have steam games installed on a completely different drive. Unless it saves the updates for games in the C drive itself.

I had restore point take a max of 2gb. But that was when I had 4 gb space left. I rechecked it again this time and it currently occupying 1.50gb. We'll see the next few days if I'll slowly lose hdd space.

Blackmon
2 years ago#9
PhilOnDez posted...
Your page file and temporary directories can cause a full disk error but that shouldn't pop up overnight. It sounds like a Windows Update thing, or perhaps another program that you might have set to auto update. I'd start with running a cleanup tool, CCleaner works, clearing out your windows update folder in case there's a problem there, and cleaning out your AMD/nVidia folder since those driver updates can be hundreds of MB each and they stay in the folder even after you've used them. I can't imagine a Windows install bloating up that big.

Personally I was having a problem with trying to unpack a 10 gig zip file that ended up in the 40 gig range when it was done. I only had 30-35 gigs free on the SSD I use for C and if you drag and drop the files from 7zip to a folder then it unpacks to C and copies them over to whatever disk/partition you were wanting the files on. To get around that I opened up a second instance of 7zip, directed it to the folder on the disk I wanted to use, and then dragging and dropping to that instead of directly to the folder, that bypasses the temporary cache.

I didn't see this till just now. I have Nvidia Experience running in the background. Does it automatically download updates for my drivers? Where are the driver updates for nvidia usually located?

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
2 years ago#10
Sounds like your page file is growing try deleting that.

Try tree size I think it's called it scans your C drive and you see a detailed list of how much space is taking up.
Thermaltake Armor+ VH6000BWS W10 64bit GA990FXAUD3 FX 8320 Vishera 8-Core Core 4.0 GHz 1000watt Rosewell PSU 32GB RAM SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon R9 280X
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. My C drive keeps running low on space randomly

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived