This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can someone explain what DRM free actually means?

User Info: hulkhogan1

hulkhogan1
4 years ago#1
I see this mentioned a lot when it comes to where you buy games but I'm not entirely sure what it means. Does buying a DRM game mean that if I buy a Steam game for instance, it's associated with my Steam account and can't be played anywhere else? While a DRM free game means it's mine to use however I want and if I wanted to give a copy to a friend they would have access to it? If that's the case, does it matter if a game is DRM free or not if I only play my games on Steam and don't intend on moving them anywhere else?

User Info: KaiserWarrior

KaiserWarrior
4 years ago#2
Correct on every count.

DRM is Digital Rights Management. A game with DRM is a game that somehow attempts to tie itself to you after you buy it. In the olden days this was a crude CD-Key, and online multiplayer games would reject multiple connections using the same CD-Key. Nowadays, DRM is usually tied to a client like Steam or Origin; once you buy the game and install it with a key, the game gets tied to your account with that client, and that key cannot be used to install it on any other accounts.

A game that is DRM-Free is a game that does not have any DRM scheme. It can be installed as many times on as many different machines as you want and is not tied to any account anywhere. The idea is that the publisher of that game trusts you, as an honest person, to not distribute their game en-masse. It's effectively the logical extreme of the old Shareware model.

If you never plan to share your games, or install your games on more than one system at a time, you don't need to worry about DRM unless you're against the idea of it on principle.

User Info: WerdnAndreW

WerdnAndreW
4 years ago#3
hulkhogan1 posted...
While a DRM free game means it's mine to use however I want and if I wanted to give a copy to a friend they would have access to it?

No.

You can give it to your friend and they would be able to play it without a problem but this is illegal.
Corsair 500r | P8Z68-V Pro | 2500k 4.4ghz | Hyper 212+ | Corsair 2x4GB | TX750w v2 | Asus Strix 970 | 1TB HDD | Crucial M4 128GB | Xonar DX | Asus PA248Q

hulkhogan1
4 years ago#4
WerdnAndreW posted...
hulkhogan1 posted...
While a DRM free game means it's mine to use however I want and if I wanted to give a copy to a friend they would have access to it?

No.

You can give it to your friend and they would be able to play it without a problem but this is illegal.

Interesting. I've burned music for friends lots of times but I guess the rules are different for games?

User Info: Bossdog421

Bossdog421
4 years ago#5
hulkhogan1 posted...
WerdnAndreW posted...
hulkhogan1 posted...

No.

Interesting. I've burned music for friends lots of times but I guess the rules are different for games?

Rules are the same. Music is technically just as bad.
Type into Google - do a barrel roll

hulkhogan1
4 years ago#6
Bossdog421 posted...
hulkhogan1 posted...
WerdnAndreW posted...
hulkhogan1 posted...

No.

I thought that kind of stuff is only illegal if you try to sell it?

User Info: WyzeGye

WyzeGye
4 years ago#7
hulkhogan1 posted...
Bossdog421 posted...
hulkhogan1 posted...
WerdnAndreW posted...
hulkhogan1 posted...

No.

Sharing is just as illegal as selling.

In Canada it's legal to download, it's illegal to share/sell... all that good stuff.
My other user is your mom.

User Info: git2thechoppa

git2thechoppa
4 years ago#8
hulkhogan1 posted...
Bossdog421 posted...
hulkhogan1 posted...
WerdnAndreW posted...
hulkhogan1 posted...

No.

You invent something. I buy one, make copies, and give it to loads of others who were interested for free. Suddenly it's not ok, it's an evil, selfish, horrible act of theft of your potential money.
I went to GameFAQs and all I got was this lousy sig.

User Info: Altmadragon

Altmadragon
4 years ago#9
steam does allow game share tho.
Man if you be any more uptight you could turn carbon into diamond just with it being within your presence. - Altmadragon 3/9/2015

User Info: git2thechoppa

git2thechoppa
4 years ago#10
Altmadragon posted...
steam does allow game share tho.

That's giving permission. You need permission to reproduce or share copyrighted material.
I went to GameFAQs and all I got was this lousy sig.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can someone explain what DRM free actually means?
  • Topic Archived