• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Case fans spinning really fast after 5-10 minutes gaming. Didn't before...
KOTRwhoops 6 years ago#1
Hi all,

I've got a really frustrating problem. My 6 month old PC has been fine, but today I was gaming as normal and after about 5-10 minutes my case fans speed up to fast and then to very fast (I'm assuming 100%) after a few more minutes. My CPU and GPU temps are absolutely fine and no different to normal so there is no reason for the fans to spin so fast.

Well I'm pretty sure it's my case fans, but I know for sure that it isn't the GPUs. The only other thing it could be is the two radiator fans for the CPU cooler.

It never had this before, my system has always run near silent, even in demanding games.

The only things I've done differently since I last gamed are, I cleaned the inside of my PC and installed the MSI gaming app to see what it was like, which I've since uninstalled.

I reset my CPU overclock to default and that hasn't made a difference. Basically I game as normal for up to about 10 minutes before the fans go mental.

Does anyone have any suggestions/had this issue before? It's really frustrating, it might not be the cause but it seems that every time I clean my PC I get an issue of some sort...

Thanks for any helpful replies.

SPECS:
4790k (was @ 4.6, but I've reset my overclock)
NZXT Kraken X60 cooler
Asus z97 ROG Maximus Hero VII
16GB Corsair Vengence RAM
MSI GTX980 G4 (in dual SLI)
Corsair AX860i
PLAYING - Halo Infinite (PC), Death' Door (PC), Monster Hunter Rise (PC)
PSN/GT - Robioto, STEAM - Robioto555
daemon_dan 6 years ago#2
Instead of worrying about the speed of the fans, use a program to monitor temps. If those are too high, then look into what might be the issue. Otherwise, fans running higher is fine.
"Don't you know our lives are on trial now? And if we lose, we're going straight to Hell! I could care less."
~DevilDriver: I Could Care Less
KOTRwhoops 6 years ago#3
daemon_dan posted...
Instead of worrying about the speed of the fans, use a program to monitor temps. If those are too high, then look into what might be the issue. Otherwise, fans running higher is fine.

I have been monitoring temps and I did say that in the OP and they are no different to usual. The fans running at 80-100% is not really fine when I've had 6 months of near silence and now my PC sounds like a spaceship after 10 minutes of gaming. Something is wrong, which is why I posted this...
XNo_FearX 6 years ago#4
restart
PSN: Ctx_Ghost
Ryzen 7 2700X, RTX 2070, 16GB Ram, 2TB HDD 250SSD
CharREX 6 years ago#5
Force to run it at usually "silence speed" and monitor its temp.
+852
daemon_dan 6 years ago#6
Are the fans spinning up higher when playing games that you used to play during that 6 months? Or during games you just started playing? In any case if they're spinning faster and it's not running COOLER than before, then your components are getting hotter than they did. Which isn''t really a big issue. You could try getting new fans. those are cheap. If it keeps happening I honestly wouldn't worry too much
"Don't you know our lives are on trial now? And if we lose, we're going straight to Hell! I could care less."
KOTRwhoops 6 years ago#7
daemon_dan posted...
Are the fans spinning up higher when playing games that you used to play during that 6 months? Or during games you just started playing? In any case if they're spinning faster and it's not running COOLER than before, then your components are getting hotter than they did. Which isn''t really a big issue. You could try getting new fans. those are cheap. If it keeps happening I honestly wouldn't worry too much

I've gone from near silent with the same games as I was playing 2 days ago for hours at a time. To today playing the same games for 5-10 minutes before the fans kick in really fast and really loud. It is something to worry about as a PC I built with silence in mind at great expense is making a load of noise that it didn't previously make when I game. Something is wrong with the system.

I know you are trying to help, thanks.
KOTRwhoops 6 years ago#8
CharREX posted...
Force to run it at usually "silence speed" and monitor its temp.

Thanks I'll have a play with fan curves in the BIOS.
daemon_dan 6 years ago#9
If you want a silent computer, you should have done a custom loop liquid cooler with quiet fans. But yeah, try to limit the RPM in bios and make sure it doesn't get too hot. Maybe even update your bios and THEN set the fan speeds.
KOTRwhoops 6 years ago#10
daemon_dan posted...
If you want a silent computer, you should have done a custom loop liquid cooler with quiet fans. But yeah, try to limit the RPM in bios and make sure it doesn't get too hot. Maybe even update your bios and THEN set the fan speeds.

I don't know how but the fan profile in the NZXT Kraken software had changed to extreme from silent... I haven't touched it so it must just be one of those things. I'll stick my overclock back on now. Odd... and very frustrating. But at least I'm back to 100FPS and a quiet PC in Dying Light.

Thanks for the input, I'll have a go at updating my BIOS anyway.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Case fans spinning really fast after 5-10 minutes gaming. Didn't before...
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A