This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Defraggler V.S. Windows Disk Defragmenter

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Defraggler V.S. Windows Disk Defragmenter

User Info: EvilBeards

EvilBeards
3 years ago#1
Is there any actual reason to use one over the other? I only use Defraggler because when I first discovered CCleaner I also discovered Defraggler.

I figure if there isn't any actual reason to use one over the other I should just use Windows Defragmenter considering it's not another extra unnecessary installed program.

Am I wrong?

User Info: Jessica_M_C

Jessica_M_C
3 years ago#2
The primary use of Defraggler is that is has more precise options than Windows Defragmenter.

One can defragment individual files, as opposed to the entire drive. Excellent for newly made archives, or cleaning up the daily fragments generated by casual system use.

There is a few system files that Windows Defragmenter will not defragment, that Defraggler can.

The ability to move files to the end of the drive can also be quite useful for storing infrequently altered files.

You can also add exceptions, practical for commonly altered yet massive files, or ensuring end of drive files aren't moved while defragmenting the entire drive.

User Info: EvilBeards

EvilBeards
3 years ago#3
Jessica_M_C posted...
The primary use of Defraggler is that is has more precise options than Windows Defragmenter.

One can defragment individual files, as opposed to the entire drive. Excellent for newly made archives, or cleaning up the daily fragments generated by casual system use.

There is a few system files that Windows Defragmenter will not defragment, that Defraggler can.

The ability to move files to the end of the drive can also be quite useful for storing infrequently altered files.

You can also add exceptions, practical for commonly altered yet massive files, or ensuring end of drive files aren't moved while defragmenting the entire drive.

Ah, that is why Defraggler has the right click option for defragging. Thank you for a precise response.

User Info: Treason686

Treason686
3 years ago#4
I'd have to see some definitive numbers before I'd consider touching a third party defrag tool.

Windows 7 and later versions automatically defrag the drive. The user never needs to interact with the defrag tool at all.

Defragging individual files is a complete waste of time. I don't consider that to be an excellent feature in any sense unless we're talking exorbitantly large files, but even then, Windows auto-defrags itself. These files will likely be, for the most part, contiguously allocated at some point on the drive.

I can't imagine the amount of time wasted manually finding and placing infrequently accessed files at the end of the disk is worthwhile. The point of defragmentation is to save time when accessing files.
I <3 segfault
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Defraggler V.S. Windows Disk Defragmenter

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived