This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Monitor loses signal after Windows logo after booting, would like some help.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Monitor loses signal after Windows logo after booting, would like some help.

User Info: TheWidowmaker1

TheWidowmaker1
4 years ago#1
I made a new build a few days ago and have run into some issues with video output. I recycled my graphics card to cut down on cost a bit, and it worked just fine until I transferred it to my new case and motherboard.

It would boot up just fine into Windows without drivers, but when I installed the drivers and restarted the computer, the monitor would go dark before saying that there was no signal coming from HDMI. Booting into safe mode also works, but as soon as I try going into normal mode it loses signal after the Windows logo. The computer is for sure still booting up, it plays the Windows jingle after it loses the signal.

Now, I've tried everything I could possibly think of:

-Extensive Googling, reading many posts of others with the same issue
-Going into safe mode and clean uninstalling my Nvidia drivers
-Going back to an older Nvidia driver
-Installing the Nvidia drivers while in safe mode
-Checking for conflict between onboard graphics and the GPU
-Checking the BIOS to make sure it wasn't forcing onboard graphics
-Checking the power cables to the GPU in case one of them was faulty
-Removed the card, then reattached it to make sure it was connected all the way.
-Reinstalled Windows, problem occurred with Windows on both SSD and HDD

I think it's an issue with the GPU, but I want some other opinions before I spend more money on a new one.

Here are my specs just in case:

Windows 7 Home 64 bit
Corsair CX750M
Intel i5 4690k
Nvidia GTX 570
8 GB G.Skill Ripjaw Series RAM
ASUS Z97-A Motherboard
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (I have my OS on this for now, trying to fix the issue before going back in and putting my OS on my SSD.)

If any of you have other questions, ideas, or knowledge of this particular phenomenon, do please share. I want to be completely sure that getting a new GPU will fix this issue.
Games should be bringing people together, not tearing them apart. There is too much hate in the gaming culture.

User Info: Winpus

Winpus
4 years ago#2
Had something wrong with a GPU once where during game playing the driver crashed 3 times with a hard system lock up. After the third time I had the problem you're having. Did a clean windows install and it worked ok, but each time when I installed the graphics driver the problem returned. Swapped a spare video card in and the problem was gone.

RMAd the card back to EVGA, they accepted and sent me a new one, and the problem hasn't returned since.

User Info: Snadados

Snadados
4 years ago#3
I'd imagine the card is trying to default to a resolution your monitor doesn't support.
Once the windows logo goes by and the GPU's drivers kick in it likely is defaulting to a resolution too high, too low or an odd resolution your monitor doesn't like.

If you can, try your system with another monitor or TV and see if that works.
If it does work make sure you set the resolution in the Nvidia control panel to something you're sure your main monitor supports.
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?

User Info: TheWidowmaker1

TheWidowmaker1
4 years ago#4
During one of the few times I managed to boot into Windows, I checked the Nvidia Control Panel and it said it was set to native. I'll try my TV though and see if that makes a difference.
Games should be bringing people together, not tearing them apart. There is too much hate in the gaming culture.

User Info: arleas

arleas
4 years ago#5
Can you boot into safe mode? Does the monitor work ok in safe mode?
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png

User Info: WerdnAndreW

WerdnAndreW
4 years ago#6
Press F8 when you first boot the pc then select enable low resolution video. This will set the desktop to 640x480 which all monitors and tvs support.
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ MSI 780 TF ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Monitor loses signal after Windows logo after booting, would like some help.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived