This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. PCI Express and SATA are 100% backwards and forwards compatible.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
4 years ago#1
Any PCI Express 1, 1.1, 2, 2.1, 3, 3.1, and presumably 4 card will work in any PCI Express 1, 1.1, 2, 2.1, 3, 3.1, and presumably 4 slot.
Similarly, any SATA 1, 2, or 3 drive will work in any SATA 1, 2, or 3 port.
When mixing versions with SATA and PCI Express, the lowest common specification will be used. That means a 2.0 card running in a 3.0 slot will run in 2.0. Likewise, a 3.0 card running in a 2.0 slot will run 2.0, and a 1.0 card running in a 3.1 slot will run at 1.0 specification.

Any PCI Express x16 card will work with any physically PCI Express x16 slot. That means that it will also work in any 4x or 8x slot, as those are still physically 16x slots. It will not work in a 1x slot, as those are typically not physically 16x compatible. The card will literally not even fit in this case.
Again, it performs to the lowest specification here as well.

I honestly think this needs to be stickied, given the amount of confusion I've seen about this lately. It seems to be a common hangup for people new to PC gaming.
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross

User Info: WyzeGye

WyzeGye
4 years ago#2
Format it better so it doesn't look like word vomit, then we'll talk about sticky
http://i.imgur.com/e4IiIHn.png

User Info: MasterDonGero

MasterDonGero
4 years ago#3
They're theoretically backwards compatible. I hear about PCIe 3.0 cards not working on PCIe 1.0 all the time.
3570K (4.5 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom

User Info: Psythik

Psythik
4 years ago#4
WyzeGye posted...
Format it better so it doesn't look like word vomit, then we'll talk about sticky
This.

Also, you should mention that a 16x card in a 16x slot running at 8x will not hinder performance, but at 4x it will. Thankfully I don't know of any motherboards that would drop a 16x slot down to 4x.
4670K | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 9-9-9-24 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | BitFenix Phenom M (white) | Win8.1 Pro
http://imgur.com/KaTyP5o.jpg

User Info: YoungAdultLink

YoungAdultLink
4 years ago#5
Here's a good question. Why isn't USB? I mean, yeah, the ports are, but why not the headers? Why not just design a header that, from now on, has space to add extra pins and such on the back end? Then you woudn't have to worry about buying a new case and not being able to plug in your front USB ports because you only have so many 3.0 headers.
One day, when I am too old for adventuring, I will settle down and open up a little armor shop called, "Victorious Secret."
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. PCI Express and SATA are 100% backwards and forwards compatible.
  • Topic Archived