This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Steam account name vs user name?

User Info: promo123

promo123
7 years ago#1
I'm creating a Steam account right now, and from what I've gathered the account name won't actually be displayed, it's just used to log in, right? And then I create a user name?

I'm only asking because the account name I wanted was taken, so I searched and found that you have two names, so it confused me a bit.
fetusaquarium.bandcamp.com

User Info: Majoras_pants

Majoras_pants
7 years ago#2
Yeah you can make your user name whatever you want. Mine is my first name.

User Info: Dawnshadow

Dawnshadow
7 years ago#3
Your account name is how Steam identifies you internally and how you log in. Your user name is what you display to everyone else. Multiple people can have the same displayed name, but accounts are unique.

So, for example, you might have to take the account name promo456 because promo123 is taken, but you can still show promo123 as your user name.
I wish I made $400k a year to spam Twitter with nonsense and go golfing in Florida every other weekend....

User Info: Boge

Boge
7 years ago#4
I believe users will have to add you to their friends list from your account name, not your user name.
With deeper knowledge and experience, everything becomes more shallow.

User Info: arleas

arleas
7 years ago#5
There's actually 3 names...

1) your login name
2) your name displayed to your friends
3) the name in your steam community custom url

All 3 could be the same, all 3 could be different.

User Info: -CJF-

-CJF-
7 years ago#6
Boge posted...
I believe users will have to add you to their friends list from your account name, not your user name.

Yes, they do. That's just about the only time your account name will need to be used. Your in-game name will usually be taken from your user name by default. For other things, you can use your user name or your profile name.

User Info: arleas

arleas
7 years ago#7
-CJF- posted...
Boge posted...

Yes, they do. That's just about the only time your account name will need to be used. Your in-game name will usually be taken from your user name by default. For other things, you can use your user name or your profile name.

You don't HAVE to use the account name to add them to your friends list. You can use the custom URL to go to their profile and then click the "add friend" button.

If you search for someone's name (for example: Boge) it comes up with their current displayed friends list name, and also searches by their custom URL as well...

From that example I found a guy with only one game on his account going by the name Boge: http://steamcommunity.com/id/boge5ever

User Info: wizardmon

wizardmon
7 years ago#8
Keep in mind your account name is a private thing, don't tell people your account name or password (because they are both passwords). My account name is entirely different from my real name, or my online name. Despite this, I'm still 'Wizardmon' on steam.

And no, account name is no longer needed for friends lists but it still works.
Why Master_Faust can't see any posts on PCH: https://imgur.com/Ns93rhC
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Steam account name vs user name?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A