• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. PCI-e x16 1.0, 2.0, 2.1, and 3.0 all compatible with each other?
Vlederane 9 years ago#1
My motherboard has a PCI-e x16 1.0 slot, can I buy a 2.0, 2.1, or 3.0 card and still use it in my slot? Thanks.

FYI, the card I'm looking at is 2.0.
signature.
mafiafun 9 years ago#2
I believe so. Fairly certain I'm using a 2.0 card in my 3.0 slot.
"Space: the final frontier... To explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before."
HydroCannabinol 9 years ago#3
You can, but it will run at PCIe 1.0 speed so DON'T DO IT.

Also make sure your PCIe 2.0 slot is x16 and not x8 or x1 otherwise it will also be slower.

Also, for the other guy his card is going into a faster slot so it makes no difference whereas yours is going into a slower one.
NicoC96 9 years ago#4
HydroCannabinol posted...

Also make sure your PCIe 2.0 slot is x16 and not x8 or x1 otherwise it will also be slower.

Also, for the other guy his card is going into a faster slot so it makes no difference whereas yours is going into a slower one.

I don't think you understand bandwidth. PCI-E is a VERY high speed slot. A X16 card in a X8 slot loses less than 10% of it's processing power. PCI-E 2.0 isn't very saturated with the top of the line cards now, 1.0 can still hand most cards out there without much of a lose.
Vlederane 9 years ago#5
Thanks, and I don't have much of a choice really. As long as my 1.0 slot can run the 2.0 card I'm about to buy... it isn't very easy to find a 1.0 card, and the 2.0 card will last me a while (GTX 560) so when I do decide to upgrade my motherboard I can reuse the video card.
signature.
romsnbombs 9 years ago#6
I would prefer to see minimum frame rates as well, but these benchmarks show that even 1.0 16x is not losing hardly any average performance:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Ivy_Bridge_PCI-Express_Scaling/6.html
2600k | GTX 750ti | P8P67-M Pro | 16GB
HydroCannabinol 9 years ago#7
NicoC96 posted...

I don't think you understand bandwidth. PCI-E is a VERY high speed slot. A X16 card in a X8 slot loses less than 10% of it's processing power. PCI-E 2.0 isn't very saturated with the top of the line cards now, 1.0 can still hand most cards out there without much of a lose.

I don't think you understand. You admit my entire post is correct, then narrow in on exactly how much power is lost.

It's like using your SSD on SATA II buddy... ya it'll work and it'll still be faster than your HDD but you're WASTING POWER.

By all means plug your new GPU into a x8 1.0 slot. Lol.
HydroCannabinol 9 years ago#8
Oh, I admit that I guess I shouldn't have said 'dont do it' because it isn't so bad. I forgot I told him specifically not to do it at all which I guess is bad advice.

Sorry people.
romsnbombs 9 years ago#9
It's like using your SSD on SATA II buddy

No it isn't. Using a fast SSD through SATA 2, you get 300MB/s max and 600MB/s max through SATA 3. That's a 100% performance drop. Using even a GTX 680 or 7970 through pci-e 1.1 16x there is either no performance drop or very little.
2600k | GTX 750ti | P8P67-M Pro | 16GB
Vlederane 9 years ago#10
It's pci-e x16 but only 1.0, if I had 2.0, I'd gladly use it, but I don't >_>
signature.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. PCI-e x16 1.0, 2.0, 2.1, and 3.0 all compatible with each other?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A