• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 2
  3. Best way to connect a PS2 to a 4K?

User Info: KenshiroX

KenshiroX
9 months ago#1
I have to re-buy some cables, so I know there's apparently a straight up PS2 to HDMI cable, how well does that work? My TV only has a couple HDMI outputs in total, so I got a splitter to cover anything else.

User Info: BillbertPatches

BillbertPatches
9 months ago#2
KenshiroX posted...
I have to re-buy some cables, so I know there's apparently a straight up PS2 to HDMI cable, how well does that work? My TV only has a couple HDMI outputs in total, so I got a splitter to cover anything else.

I've had satisfactory results with it, not on a 4k TV though, not sure if that would change things. It certainly wouldn't output 4k, but I doubt there's anything out there which could do that for a PS2.

Some games have issues with certain resolutions, specifically PS1 games - apparently they display at a resolution lower than is supported by the converter. The workaround is to get Free McBoot with GSM and force the resolution to something it can handle.
Other games change resolutions fairly regularly (during loading screens, or in menus) which can be quite jarring seeing your TV pause, and switch resolution.

Aside from that, it's pretty tidy and easy to use, just plug the box into the PS2 and run an HDMI cable to your TV. They're cheap and easy to find too, at least last time I looked.

In my experience, it has much better results than component and composite.

User Info: EvilResident

EvilResident
9 months ago#3
@BillbertPatches got a specific model you recommend?
---

User Info: BillbertPatches

BillbertPatches
9 months ago#4
EvilResident posted...
@BillbertPatches got a specific model you recommend?

I'm pretty sure this is the one I've been using:
https://tinyurl.com/y3kpjmet

I've discarded the box though, so I can't be too sure but I recognise the colour scheme - I imagine they'll all be pretty similar, and for the price it's worth taking a gamble. That was my thought process anyway - and was impressed by the results.

User Info: Iroquois2688

Iroquois2688
9 months ago#5
Best you ask? The best way is still the Framemeister with RGB SCART or JP-21 as its' deinterlacing capabilities is still second to none. That being said it's expensive so unless you're really hardcore and want an unbeatable picture, your best bet is the Retrotink2X which is a line doubler with zero lag. I would avoid the cheap HDMI converters as they're likely to distort the audio and video and introduce lag.

KenshiroX
9 months ago#6
Iroquois2688 posted...
Best you ask? The best way is still the Framemeister with RGB SCART or JP-21 as its' deinterlacing capabilities is still second to none. That being said it's expensive so unless you're really hardcore and want an unbeatable picture, your best bet is the Retrotink2X which is a line doubler with zero lag. I would avoid the cheap HDMI converters as they're likely to distort the audio and video and introduce lag.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I find it kind of staggering that I need to spend 150 bucks just to make a PS2 look like...a PS2.

User Info: dotpatrick

dotpatrick
9 months ago#7
If you want a no-lag, good quality way to connect just your PS2 then you might want to consider picking up the PS2 RAD2X cable. Biggest downside is that it only takes 240p and 480i and then converts it to 480p. It doesn't have the ability to pass through 480p. 95% of the PS2 library is 480i anyways.

I don't know how widely available they are though or if they are sold in the the US. When I saw a review of them they were about $60 USD and were being sold through UK-based seller, which means potentially expensive shipping.

I have xRGB-Framemeister, which is really good (probably the best since I don't like the look of bob deinterlacing) but I am not going to suggest someone pay the crazy price for just one system.

Those cheap ones like the Pound cable add a ton of lag and often don't process the image correctly especially if you have anything that runs in 240p like ICO for example.
stay golden

Iroquois2688
9 months ago#8
KenshiroX posted...
Thanks for the suggestion, but I find it kind of staggering that I need to spend 150 bucks just to make a PS2 look like...a PS2.

Yup, I agree. Spending $150 IS stupid. When I first learned about all these upscaling options 7 years ago, I told myself I'll never get into these as I don't see the point of spending that much money on making a PS2 look good. I finally caved in and bought a Framemeister about 4 years ago and I will say it's second to none and I got my money's worth, but I will also say I'd never reccomend it to any sane person unless they're well, insane.

That being said, being on Gamefaqs meant that there was a lot false information being spread around few years back, and as a result a few people geuninely weren't aware of their options and thought the HDMI adapters are the best way to go.

dotpatrick posted...
If you want a no-lag, good quality way to connect just your PS2 then you might want to consider picking up the PS2 RAD2X cable. Biggest downside is that it only takes 240p and 480i and then converts it to 480p. It doesn't have the ability to pass through 480p. 95% of the PS2 library is 480i anyways.

I don't know how widely available they are though or if they are sold in the the US. When I saw a review of them they were about $60 USD and were being sold through UK-based seller, which means potentially expensive shipping.

I have xRGB-Framemeister, which is really good (probably the best since I don't like the look of bob deinterlacing) but I am not going to suggest someone pay the crazy price for just one system.

Those cheap ones like the Pound cable add a ton of lag and often don't process the image correctly especially if you have anything that runs in 240p like ICO for example.

I too have a Framemeister and the only reason I haven't tossed it out yet in favor of the superior OSSC is because it still does PS2 the best, ie deinterlacing. I'm pretty sure the OSSC has the Framemeister beat in every other category.

KenshiroX
9 months ago#9
So, what's a decent alternative? I'm looking to only play a couple old games. Or should I just go through the hassle of loading up my PS2's BIOS onto my pc, etc?

Iroquois2688
9 months ago#10
KenshiroX posted...
So, what's a decent alternative? I'm looking to only play a couple old games. Or should I just go through the hassle of loading up my PS2's BIOS onto my pc, etc?

I would say emulation on PC if you don't mind it. PS2 on 4K is going to have its' native resolution blown up so much to a point of absurdity since you're comparing a measly 480i to a gargantuan 4K pixel count. If you insist on using a real PS2 though, definitely go with component cables paired with a linedoubler such as the Retrotink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdUlcIR1yh4

1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 2
  3. Best way to connect a PS2 to a 4K?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A