• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 2
  3. Was wondering if ps2 games still online?

User Info: Motorexskygtr34

Motorexskygtr34
4 years ago#1
I found this website that claimed that these ps2 games are still online but not sure how accurate it is because as far as I know, Gamespy closed down the servers to ps2 games but there is a way to play online around to it is called Open spy and Xlink (not sure how to spell it).

http://playstation2.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/content_gameslist_na.php

Let me know if you've tried it with any of your games that are still online, thanks.
Proud to be a Deaf gamer since 1987 :-)
GT: MotorexGTR32

User Info: ToastyPOP

ToastyPOP
4 years ago#2
Yeah that list is pretty outdated, the official servers for almost all of those games are no longer up.

But yeah, you can play more than a few of those games over Openspy. Openspy is an unofficial server that emulates Gamespy. Any Gamespy game that didn't require a Gamespy ID login to play online will work with Openspy.

Also, Xlink Kai is LAN tunneling software. It will work with any game that has LAN play (system link).
http://www.ps2onlinegaming.com/forum

User Info: MrHermann

MrHermann
4 years ago#3
I didn't know you could do that.

User Info: fallen_acolyte

fallen_acolyte
4 years ago#4
MrHermann posted...
I didn't know you could do that.

That's how we played halo online without xbox live and monster hunter
()___(_______()~~
PSN: Fallen_Acolyte XBL: Fallen Acolyte

User Info: MrHermann

MrHermann
4 years ago#5
You could play monster hunter online again??? I want in!

User Info: Motorexskygtr34

Motorexskygtr34
4 years ago#6
Okay I can confirmed 3 games I tried out worked.

Flatout
Call of Duty 2 Big Red One
Full Spectrum Warrior* (it required Gamespy log in and password)

*created myself one and it worked.

Auto Modellista doesn't work.

I looked around after failed to connect to set up online from these games with my own internet setting then I found a website that dedicated online games (PS2) called www.bobzent.info This guy (Bob or whoever) set up servers for all games and give out Primary DNS to use to run a server to get online for PS2.

PS2 DNS: 24.104.226.56

Now he gave out specific games that are online and available to play but it's 3 years old topic so give it a shot with any games you may have from bobz's list.

http://www.bobzent.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8546
Proud to be a Deaf gamer since 1987 :-)
GT: MotorexGTR32

User Info: bungiefan

bungiefan
4 years ago#7
According to SquareEnix and Sony, only Final Fantasy XI is still using Sony's DNAS servers, and they are shutting DNAS off at the end of March of 2016, with Final Fantasy XI stopping Xbox 360 and PS2 support then and going PC-only after that date.

Some games have unofficial servers stood up, but DNAS was widely used by online games, and the unofficial servers may not be connectable after the DNAS shutdown, unless they are patched to skip the DNAS step.
http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/389803

User Info: ArroganceMalice

ArroganceMalice
4 years ago#8
I have heard you can still play Timesplitters online still.

Does anyone have a guide to getting it working?
"We each play out the parts fate has written for us. Free will is an illusion."

User Info: BarbaricAvatar

BarbaricAvatar
4 years ago#9
ArroganceMalice posted...
I have heard you can still play Timesplitters online still.

Does anyone have a guide to getting it working?

What's the point?
If it does work then you'll be lucky if you can find more than 3 other people in the world online on their PS2's and they'll either be total noobs and easy prey, or so hardcore that you won't stand a chance.

Even before Gamespy went down the servers were scarcely populated, even on the most popular titles: SW Battlefront was empty, Killzone was empty and there were 4 people in Battlefield playing the same map over and over again.

If one really really must get online on their PS2 in 2015 then your only realistic hope is to use one of the aforementioned bypass methods and arrange a time and game with a group of people and hope that they don't have crap internet.

User Info: Andrew Shinn

Andrew Shinn
4 years ago#10
SW BF II had a dozen or so people at any time, but most other titles were less than 5 if lucky. When i got Killzone online, there were only maybe 8-10 people on it.
BarbaricAvatar posted...
If one really really must get online on their PS2 in 2015 then your only realistic hope is to use one of the aforementioned bypass methods and arrange a time and game with a group of people and hope that they don't have crap internet.

^ that

hell, even when the PS2 was current, it wasn't hugely populated online, as the fat model needed it's own broadband adaptor (which cost a fair bit) and less popular games probably had only less than 5 people online at a time. It's not like these days when the consoles are internet ready out of the box. Even then, plenty of games only a year old, have 0 people online (such as Driver San Francisco)
R.I.P Nicky-------------Pat---------------Mother Puss
1989-30/4/02__1988-20/11/02__198?-22/12/02
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 2
  3. Was wondering if ps2 games still online?
  • Topic Archived