• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: endlessmemories

endlessmemories
1 year ago#1
Hi everyone! I have a copy of morrowind for the original xbox that I've been streaming a wee bit, and I'm a bit confused. I'm wanting to stream some more, but I'd like to get some of the more basics of this game down. I really enjoy what I see though)

For context, I've only played a bit of Skyrim. (I know about selling/buying from skyrim, as far as I got in skyrim was rotating towns to refresh potion ingredients stock) Otherwise, no ES experience. However I have lots of experience in JRPGS, so rpgs as a whole isn't new to me. However I know ES in of itself is a whole new bucket.

So I have some basic questions

What class is best for a speed build? I also like my character having charsima, sneak, that kind of thing.

What is the best starting/early game weapon? How can I get that? I like bows

Also is there a guide on how to attack things? I remember facing small mobs and nothing hit with the initial dagger they give you, so I ran away, despite the cross hairs being on them?

Anyways, Thanks ya'll. I appreciate any response in advance. have a good one.

User Info: SeiK0

SeiK0
1 year ago#2
Class doesn't matter at all. If you do power leveling you can get all skills and all attributes to 100. Check out this link for how leveling and power leveling (i.e. efficient leveling) works:
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Level

That page also has some tips for beginners:
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Starting_Out
And you can find any kind of information there. Her is a nice collection of useful links:
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Morrowind

As I already said: Class isn't important. But Birthsigns and Races are. If you want people to like you, you should play as an Imperial or Dunmer / Dark Elf. This is because people of the same Race like you more and you'll face tons of Imperials and Dunmers. For Birthsigns, people like The Atronach even if it's a bit weird to start with that birthsign because it completely changes the way how magic works. Birthsigns that fortify an attribute are also great, ecpecialy The Lady. This is because you want to increase your Endurance as fast as possible to increase your max health.

For starting weapon, read the Starting Out link or just collect a ton of money and buy anyhting you want:
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Making_Money
Not sure about bows, but once you get a daedric long bow you probably won't go back. You can get one in https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Maelkashishi or in the https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Tribunal:Residential_Sewers#Forgotten_Sewer of Old Mournhold from Golena Sadri.

If you keep missing your attacks, increase your weapon skills, your agility and make sure that your Fatigue isn't low. This might be the most common mistake: Make sure that your fatigue (green bar) is always as high as possible. This means, stop running if you plan to fight someone or use a spell. Even Mercantile is affected by that bar.

I hope this helps. And I hope you'll enjoy that game. It's a bit more complex than Oblivion and Skyrim but that's actually the thing I like the most about this game: You can play through it in so many different ways.
I don't know how more people haven't got mental health problems
Thinking is one of the most stressful things I've ever come across

User Info: endlessmemories

endlessmemories
1 year ago#3
Thank you for the response! I'll try the things within the next day or so. If I have anymore questions, I'll bump this thread, but I try to do look up things before asking. So the links you provided I hadn't seen at all and are very helpful.

bless your soul.

User Info: SeiK0

SeiK0
1 year ago#4
And since you're playing the (original) XBox version, here's another useful tip: Save a lot. The further you progress, the more the game will crash. There are some theories how to avoid this (reducing memory by not dropping items on the floor and always close doors) but actually there is no guaranteed way to avoid it.

Btw, you should always safe before entering a cave, a ruin, a shrine, a tower or anything else suspicious in the wild. There are many things / people out there that might kill you.
I don't know how more people haven't got mental health problems
Thinking is one of the most stressful things I've ever come across

User Info: Cinderforge

Cinderforge
1 year ago#5
If you want to play a stealthy archer type then I would set up like this:

- Wood elf
- Custom class with agility & endurance as fave attributes (obviously pick Marksman as a major skill, the rest is up to you)
- The Lover star sign

You can pick up a cheap bow and arrows from the tradehouse in the starting village (Seyda Neen).

Should hit nearly all the time with ranged weapons from the start. Hope that helps.

User Info: Prince_Hircine

Prince_Hircine
1 year ago#6
In Morrowind, there is also effectively no level limit on Xbox.

As long as a skill's governing attribute is above 100, you can pay trainers to "increase" them indefinitely.

So, say Heavy Armor. Get the Helm of Oregon Bearclaw (Fortify Agility/Endurance 40 points). Get Heavy Armor To 100. Go to the Heavy Armor master Trainer and pay him for training. Your skill won't actually go up, but your level up progress WILL.

Repeat as necessary.
Ringo / Apex Jho / Slowking / AP Officer (more Alpha than Alpha) -4U HR 999, Gens HR 450+, LBG Main-
What is it that makes a hunter great?

User Info: ImbaIance

ImbaIance
1 year ago#7
Turn off shadows. Stay out of the water.

You miss a lot because there is no collision detection. Rather, your to-hit is based on the attributes listed above combined with an unseen dice roll. Raise your stats to improve your odds and the enemy animation will respond accordingly.

Forget everything Skyrim taught you. Morrowind is a JRPG sandbox built on D&D mechanics. There is nothing quite like it, not even other TES games.

User Info: NemesisOgreKing

NemesisOgreKing
1 year ago#8
ImbaIance posted...
Turn off shadows. Stay out of the water.

You miss a lot because there is no collision detection. Rather, your to-hit is based on the attributes listed above combined with an unseen dice roll. Raise your stats to improve your odds and the enemy animation will respond accordingly.

Forget everything Skyrim taught you. Morrowind is a JRPG sandbox built on D&D mechanics. There is nothing quite like it, not even other TES games.

Morrowind is a Western RPG. JRPGs are known for their linearity and story focus. WRPG's are known for their open design, environmental story telling, and an overabundance of lore. In fact Morrowind's story is pretty generic on the surface(a basic you're the chosen one). Once you interact with the world more, it becomes more complicated and encourages the player to interpret what is happening in the story. A JRPG would just shove the story down your throat with little to no interactions or personal interpretation(Individualism is discouraged in most Asian cultures).
There were tons of games that were like Morrowind, that were just exclusive to PC. Morrowind became more popular for being on a console.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1lM_kyNjRU
oN THe eiGhTH Day, GoD CReaTeD TuRoK
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A