Anyone still playing in 2017?

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
  3. Anyone still playing in 2017?
(message deleted)

User Info: thegrambauer

thegrambauer
8 months ago#92
You're a busta CJ!
GT: CrikeyAussie

User Info: clu82

clu82
8 months ago#93
Late starter here, I got GTAIII and Vice City back in the day, but didn't get San Andreas because of the gangster rap theme and sheer size of it. I finally got it a couple of years ago, and was initially put off by the boring soundtrack, excessive swearing and how the humour and satire are non-existent compared to GTAIII and Vice City. It took a long time, but I'm finally getting into it, and am getting the last few bits needed for a 'base' save (completing as many side missions as possible before doing the story missions).

I've come to really like the atmosphere of the game, with the disparate cultures, architecture and climates in such a small space really adding to it, as well as things like the purple night sky in the desert, the redwood-filled areas, and the mist that often envelops San Fierro. I like how there are so many cars in the game, and how they're based on everything from 40s & 50s classics to muscle cars to European supercars.

So yeah, still playing here!
--
There are those whose time is due for steep decline. If you can't find the spot where their time stops, just ask who built the clocks.
(edited 8 months ago)

User Info: FooFightersFan

FooFightersFan
8 months ago#94
Late starter here, I got GTAIII and Vice City back in the day, but didn't get San Andreas because of the gangster rap theme and sheer size of it.

Interesting. I'm about as white as it gets and I didn't mind the gangster rap theme. In fact, there were some songs from that era that I can actually dig.

excessive swearing and how the humour and satire are non-existent compared to GTAIII and Vice City

I agree with you about the excessive swearing, but the humor is definitely there. Perhaps you liked the style better in the older games, which I understand. Or maybe you're just older and don't find the stuff as funny.

I've come to really like the atmosphere of the game, with the disparate cultures, architecture and climates

The size and scope of SA is the thing that appeals most to me. Vice City's landscape and texture is not varied. There is definitely a different feel to each island, but they are relatively small and there's not a whole lot going on. The setting for San Andreas is much more conducive to different types of terrain, and the setting being multiple cities instead of a single city allows for a very different feel for each.

I'm not currently playing SA, but my friend and I beat Vice City in one sitting the other day. Took about 6-7 hours and we got kind of sloppy (drinking and tired) at the end. The final mission took way too many tries.

User Info: FooFightersFan

FooFightersFan
8 months ago#95
Wow, quiet on this board at the moment. Where is everyone?

User Info: clu82

clu82
8 months ago#96
FooFightersFan posted...
Interesting. I'm about as white as it gets and I didn't mind the gangster rap theme. In fact, there were some songs from that era that I can actually dig.

Well it's inevitably to do with one's individual tastes as opposed to their race. I'm a fan of hip-hop when it has a message, like with Public Enemy, when it's done with style, like with De La Soul, when it's done with humour, like with Roots Manuva, or when it tells a story, like 'In The Ghetto' by Too Short. I also really like the proto-hiphop of Gil Scott-Heron. But I can't get into any of the posturing, browbeating nonsense - there's nothing positive about it and I just can't relate to it in any way.

I agree with you about the excessive swearing, but the humor is definitely there. Perhaps you liked the style better in the older games, which I understand. Or maybe you're just older and don't find the stuff as funny.

It was just more sophisticated, particularly in Vice City. Some of the commercials and public radio segments made me laugh out loud with their absurdity and biting satire. Even though you played as a mafioso dealing death left right & centre, the humour reminded you not to take it seriously, like it was all one big joke. That's sadly absent from San Andreas, and the free swearing on the radio is a particular gripe of mine.

I'm not currently playing SA, but my friend and I beat Vice City in one sitting the other day. Took about 6-7 hours and we got kind of sloppy (drinking and tired) at the end. The final mission took way too many tries.

I've made a Vice City master save for that very purpose. I always find that I forget almost everything that happens in the GTA games even just a short while after completing them, so have taken to making master saves for each game for the (intended) purpose of breezing through them with all the upgrades and weapons already in hand.

Thanks for the detailed reply!
--
There are those whose time is due for steep decline. If you can't find the spot where their time stops, just ask who built the clocks.

User Info: nobbyclark69

nobbyclark69
7 months ago#97
Yep, still playing. Doing all the side missions that I never bothered with when I first played it, like ambulance, quarry, car showroom etc. Also discovered the slot machines and horse racing, which I completely ignored back in the day. Now up to nearly $400m.

User Info: frankspank

frankspank
7 months ago#98
I would play but Microsoft likes to screw over it's customer base as often as possible and has made it more trouble than it's worth to get the game to work properly on PC now. I played that horrible port they brought to PS3...it's pretty much unplayable.

User Info: frankspank

frankspank
7 months ago#99
thegrambauer posted...
Shiang posted...

It's not about showing off. It's like... playing the vanilla before you get to all of the delicious additional content. I love the cheats, I completed my first three runs with them. But in hindsight I regret it, because it killed the challenge of the missions, and how creative you can be with ways to complete them. I'm now doing my second cheat-free run and loving it, though I still use plenty of cheats for free-roaming the countryside before reloading my save and continuing.

I just think that playing the game without cheats allows you to appreciate both the game itself and the cheats more when you go to use them.

Eh, each to their own I say. I've used cheats occasionally while playing the game and I don't regret it one bit. I guess I just don't care that much about 'trying to beat the game legitimately'. But if you do then fair enough. I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone, I enjoy the game for what it is and since modern games don't have cheats, then these old games are more fun because they do have them.

I'm not one for challenge either so I didn't feel 'ripped off' by using cheats. I've appreciated the game just fine when using cheats and don't find that my 'appreciation' of said game is determined on whether or not I'm using cheats or not. But hey we're all different and that ultimately makes this more that much more interesting (our differences).

If you aren't up for the challenge why do you even play games?

User Info: thegrambauer

thegrambauer
7 months ago#100
frankspank posted...
thegrambauer posted...
Shiang posted...

It's not about showing off. It's like... playing the vanilla before you get to all of the delicious additional content. I love the cheats, I completed my first three runs with them. But in hindsight I regret it, because it killed the challenge of the missions, and how creative you can be with ways to complete them. I'm now doing my second cheat-free run and loving it, though I still use plenty of cheats for free-roaming the countryside before reloading my save and continuing.

I just think that playing the game without cheats allows you to appreciate both the game itself and the cheats more when you go to use them.

Eh, each to their own I say. I've used cheats occasionally while playing the game and I don't regret it one bit. I guess I just don't care that much about 'trying to beat the game legitimately'. But if you do then fair enough. I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone, I enjoy the game for what it is and since modern games don't have cheats, then these old games are more fun because they do have them.

I'm not one for challenge either so I didn't feel 'ripped off' by using cheats. I've appreciated the game just fine when using cheats and don't find that my 'appreciation' of said game is determined on whether or not I'm using cheats or not. But hey we're all different and that ultimately makes this more that much more interesting (our differences).

If you aren't up for the challenge why do you even play games?

Not sure if you're referring to me or to Shiang. But if me:

1. Who says games have to be a challenge? Why can't they be just games - something a person play to have some fun?
2. Just because you like 'challenges' in games, doesn't mean everyone else has to play the same way as you do. It's not a dictatorship with games.
3. Mind your own beeswax also I guess lol.
GT: CrikeyAussie
  1. Boards
  2. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
  3. Anyone still playing in 2017?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.