• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
  3. "Engine Error" Crash (UP 8.4.2 Basic)

User Info: GeistSR

GeistSR
7 years ago#1
So, fresh install of the game, installed the patch, played up to a point with almost no issues at all. But now I'm getting quite a showstopper bug here.

I just returned from the Society of Leopold but every time I try to enter Venture Tower the game crashes to desktop:

Engine Error
no precache: models/character/npc/common/security_guard/security_guard_skinny/security_guard_skinny.mdl

The level loads, and even makes an autosave, but immediately crashes before leaving the loading screen. I haven't opened any sound files outside the game or any of that either. I do have a save right outside the doors that reproduces it every single time, if that would help somehow.

Ideas?

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
7 years ago#2
I...uh, I know why it happens, I don't know the reason. If that makes any sense. It seems that if the game tries to use a model that hasn't been loaded already, it would crash. Happens if you try changing the character model from the console to something that's not present in the area (say, a Sabbat vampire but you're in Santa Monica).

Yeah, so that's what the error message is caused by, but I don't know why it even comes up. There are no guards in Venture tower, so there is no need to load a model for them.

Unless the story state is wrong, I dunno. Type G.Story_State in the console and say what the number is. It should be 70 - if it's not (might be lower), then try setting to 70 - it's either G.Story_State 70 or G.Story_State=70 - one or the other, I can't remember right now.

If that doesn't work, I'd also suggest reinstalling the game, the patch, and continuing the old save - that usually fixes stuff. If it doesn't...well, come back here and maybe we'll think of something but that's what I have for now.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

GeistSR
7 years ago#3
The state is 70, yes. I tried setting it to 75 once to see if I could skip the problem sequence, but that didn't help so I went ahead and reinstalled everything. Still the same error in the same place.

vlado_e
7 years ago#4
GeistSR posted...
The state is 70, yes. I tried setting it to 75 once to see if I could skip the problem sequence, but that didn't help so I went ahead and reinstalled everything. Still the same error in the same place.

Hmm, that's weird, them. I've got no more suggestions for now. I suppose wesp5 or somebody else knowledgeable would show up soon with some input.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: wesp5

wesp5
7 years ago#5
vlado_e posted...
I suppose wesp5 or somebody else knowledgeable would show up soon with some input.

I have no real idea actually. Have you tried setting G.Patch_Plus = 0 before entering the tower?

GeistSR
7 years ago#6
It was already at 0, probably cause I'm not using the plus version.

At any rate, I found a fix! Google turned up this topic on a similar problem: http://www.iphpbb.com/board/ftopic-17048899nx82467-1286.html

Swapping the vampire.dll for one of the alternates provided fixed it right up. Apparently it was cause of the dead guards in the lobby in the wake of the Sabbat attack.

Thanks to you both for your time.

vlado_e
7 years ago#7
Huh, I don't think I've seen dead guards in the lobby. That would explain why I was so perplexed when you said it couldn't load the models.

Anyway, I'm glad you found a solution, and I thank you posted it. I'll bookmark it, in case I see it ever again. I should make, like, a comprehensive guide of all the weird bugs and solutions I've seen for Bloodlines. It would definitely help, I think.

User Info: wesp5

wesp5
7 years ago#8
vlado_e posted...
Huh, I don't think I've seen dead guards in the lobby.

This is something the Unofficial Patch restored. They were not visible due to a bug but should be so now after the Sabbat attack. So which dll worked and which didn't?

vlado_e
7 years ago#9
wesp5 posted...
vlado_e posted...
Huh, I don't think I've seen dead guards in the lobby.

This is something the Unofficial Patch restored. They were not visible due to a bug but should be so now after the Sabbat attack.

Quite possible. The most recent UP I played (well, to that point, at least) was 7.9 (along with the latest CQM). I've yet to reach that point in 8.4.2...I need to play more. But also I don't have time. I do have exams, though ;(

GeistSR
7 years ago#10
vlado_e posted...
I should make, like, a comprehensive guide of all the weird bugs and solutions I've seen for Bloodlines. It would definitely help, I think.

Yeah, sounds like a good idea for a sticky topic.

wesp5 posted...
So which dll worked and which didn't?

The default/nocd one gave me the crash (worked fine the entire game up til then tho) and the d2d version got me in the building finally.
  1. Boards
  2. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
  3. "Engine Error" Crash (UP 8.4.2 Basic)
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A