• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: simondrake

simondrake
5 years ago#1
I died at least ten times on the first Space Battle.
Experience practice and honing skills meant I did a little better each time but always died with at least five enemies left.
I'm no noob, I had Ratchet And Clank 1 from release and got RnC3 and a few of the PS3 games that all had space battles - but somehow I skipped number 2 until now.

I Googled it for hints, the radar is pretty hard to interpret so maybe I was missing something.
The largest FAQ here said: "The first fight is quite easy, hold down X and shoot all the enemies you see and you'll get through it in no time."
What? How can that be? I died over and over, it's not a pushover.

I tried everything, barrel-rolls away when being shot, hard turns, blasting asteroids to get pickups, trying to read the HUD/Radar to pinpoint the enemy and spinning away if I get it wrong and they sneak up on me.
Missiles when locked on, sometimes when not locked on just to take them out quicker.
Snap targetting takes out enemies as quick as possible if they come into view.
Quick turns and boosting through the asteroid field gives cover.
But still I died every single time.

I looked up a YouTube video to see if that had any hints.
It was some squeaky 14 year old who also died first time, he didn't know what he was doing, didn't even know there were two waves of enemies. But then breezed through it on his second attempt.
What are we doing differently? Why is it a breeze for him and tough for me?

Then I spotted the difference, it's ridiculous but one simple tip flipped the entire battle upside down.
DON'T USE BOOST
I didn't use boost at all on one run and I beat all enemies in both waves with a small amount of sheild and full health remaining!
My theory is that the enemies track you, get behind you but they're faster than you so overtake and you can shoot them while they're turning.
If you use boost that breaks it and they can stay behind you longer.
Using boost in tight turns and barrel rolls just muddles everything and makes it a melee.
Not using boost and doing tight turns only when they're right behind you makes it a breeze.

Do Not Use Boost In The First Space Battle!
To strive, to seek, to find. And not to yield.

User Info: falconesque

falconesque
5 years ago#2
Congrats on finding a way that worked for you.

The first space battle in Wupash Nebula, before landing at Maktar Resort, for me was a matter of not wasting missiles on enemies I could just shoot. And picking up shield boosts.

With the various space-ship battle worlds, the first level is often the toughest. The one that gave me the most troubles was destroying the turrets in Deep Space Disposal quickly enough.
Guides and other contributions: http://www.esque.com/slr/gamefaqs/
FFX, FFXII, KH, KH Re:CoM, KH2, Okage: Shadow King, Secret Agent Clank

simondrake
5 years ago#3
I just got through the second space battle (Thugs 4 Less Rendezvous) first try, it was a breeze.
I died so many times on the first fight, over and over I got rocked.
But without using Boost it was a cakewalk.

simondrake
5 years ago#4
I've now done all the space battles I think, not all the races but the first race and I think all the planets with space battles in.

They've all been incredibly easy, granted by the later ones I had an upgraded ship but they were a breeze, much more like what I was used to with R&C 1 and 3.
I don't understand why that first battle was so hard.
The two pints of wine may have been a factor...
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers