• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Guild Wars
  3. Literally restarting the game on fresh account right now

User Info: EDarien

EDarien
2 years ago#1
Hey all. I used to be on this board like 10 years ago or whenever. I have no idea my log-in information for the game, so I bought it brand new on Steam (it's on sale until July 4th if anyone is interested) and am starting over from scratch.

Anyone still check this maybe give advice or anything is more than welcome.

I'll say I plan on going Necro and/or Ritualist. Mostly for the flavor, I've always liked Necromancer, but I never did beat this game (I know it's an MMO, but I never finished the story) in Prophecies and I never played any of the other expansions at all. While I want what I play to be viable to at least let me play this through the story as if it were a single player RPG (I remember really loving the Prophecies story when I first played it), I'd rather do so in a way that I enjoy than pure min/maxing. I love things like life-stealing, my favorite elements would be lightning and earth.

I plan to read through old threads here, but if anyone is active and has some build advice, I'm all ears. I figure I'll make a Necro and a Ritualist and then play them a bit to see what I like or don't. My first time playing was with a friend, he went Warrior and I went Ele/Necro. I have no idea what his secondary was. But we had a good time.
On a scale of 1 to Voldemort, he's a "Doesn't have a nose, but doesn't know Evada Kedabra." - RAGEface14

User Info: EDarien

EDarien
2 years ago#2
Wow, I guess this board really is dead. I used to LOVE coming here and seeing all the creative builds and mix of veterans and newbies bantering and figuring out builds, getting advice, adding each other to play, etc.

I know this game is old, and really dated, but I was hoping there was a small bit of community left here.
On a scale of 1 to Voldemort, he's a "Doesn't have a nose, but doesn't know Evada Kedabra." - RAGEface14

User Info: Alessar

Alessar
2 years ago#3
It is pretty slow yeah.

I guess the main point is that your class combo only matters until you unlock the ability to change your secondary. In Prophecies you were on rails and had to get to 20 and do a special mission to unlock it. Factions it happens a lot earlier and if you cross over from Prophecies you can do the ascend mission with a full party of level 20 henchmen while you yourself are like, 12-14. It's not easy but it is do-able. (If you start in Nightfall the ability is unlocked as part of the main story around level 16, no shortcut for out of campaign characters there).

That said, when you are leveling initially you are really only going to use the secondary as a supplement. You're going to want to focus all your points into your main class and typically not put more points into a secondary ability line than say a rank 3 or so, typically you would only use 1 skill. For example, if you go Monk secondary don't even consider trying to heal - but you could take a resurrection spell instead of rez signet, or a condition removal skill to remove poison or burning from you -- that kind of thing. When you're at 20th level and have all your bonus attribute points and the ability to switch secondaries then you can get creative and use more from your secondary. There's also the issue of where the various skills are located in the campaigns - there are some useful basics that are way at the end of the campaigns.

You don't have to pair casters and melee together though it often that works better, especially while leveling. The melee classes tend to be more helpful to each other because they often share abilities like stances that let you gain adrenaline, or they have cheap costing self-buffs that anyone hitting things with a weapon can use; but they also have a lot of their buffs are going to be specific to their weapons or mechanics. Generally. Ranger has some wilderness survival stuff that can be handy but it's real niche. Assassin and Dervish get weird mechanically and you have to get some real specific skills from them to be useful early on.

Elementalist is generally good secondary for any class that uses a lot of energy -- like especially other casters. They have some glyphs that help casting costs and are real easy to use and common to get. They also have weapon buffs and defense spells.

Mesmer, weirdly, is the most all around source for utility abilities especially in Prophecies. They have mantras (stances) that reduce elemental damage, hex removal, some energy restoring skills. Monks in particular who struggle with energy management while leveling might actually invest a little bit more into Inspiration magic (like maybe up to 8?) and focus on mesmer skills like "remove hex, gain xxx energy back" or "drain energy" types of thing. Everyone else can benefit from their damage reduction mantras and hex removal too. While warriors will eventually have better stances with ZERO points in inspiration Mantra of Flame lasts 30 seconds and reduces fire damage by 26%, with 3 points it's 42 seconds and 31% resistance, you learn it early in post-searing and it's cheap to cast!!

Necromancer is most useful for having ailment spells, for instance it's real easy to inflict Weakness with it. Well, there's several earth Elementalist spells that exploit Weakness. So for example, using Enfeebling Blood and then following up with Glowstone which gives you energy back if it hits a weakened foe is a fabulous way to keep your energy up and keep spamming attacks. So Ele/Necro makes sense too.

Ritualist is like part monk and part hexer and part summoner and it does synergize with Necro pretty well and each of those classes has some "minion" affecting powers that go across class lines but not like in game breaking way. And whether you want to focus on summoning spirits (which are turrets basically) or hexing or even playing it as a healer with nasty buffs will determine which secondary is best for you.
  1. Boards
  2. Guild Wars
  3. Literally restarting the game on fresh account right now
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A