• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Guild Wars
  3. GuildWiki has moved

User Info: Arti

Arti
9 years ago#1
Since I know some people still use it here.

GuildWiki has moved to Curse, the new URL is http://www.guildwiki.org/
2010 Game of the Decade Contest - 91/104 points - Today: Resident Evil 4 / Dead Rising
http://backloggery.com/articuno2001/sig.gif

User Info: LokiISP

LokiISP
9 years ago#2
Let's hope it runs more smoothly than the add-laden mess it had become on Wikia.
XBL GT: Loki ISP
Clan Leader, XBL Clan Wolfpacklan...www.wolfpacklan.org

User Info: Alessar

Alessar
9 years ago#3
Finally! What Wikia did was an attack on the eye.

I'm not surprised this happened. The people who ran Paragon Wiki (for City of Heroes/Villains) went to Wikia and then extricated themselves and went independant just months later.

User Info: SKA_

SKA_
9 years ago#4
although i did not have much of a problem with the old wiki, less adds cluttering up the pages does sound nice
it's not easy being this awesome and modest

User Info: Alessar

Alessar
9 years ago#5
Have you seen the old wiki since Wikia imposed a new global template that broke many pages, put polka dots on the background, and crammed in extra ad offering lines on most pages?

User Info: Duke Darkwood

Duke Darkwood
9 years ago#6
Not to mention that any sufficiently wide tables ended up having part of their content behind the ads.

The move was more than justified. Even if one could ignore the aesthetic onslaught that was that background, the fact that the ads BROKE PAGES by hiding content was reason enough to leave wikia forever.

After all, GuildWiki was not the only wiki displeased by the move - their own statement listed two others (PvX was one), and I saw a similar intent to leave notice on the main page of the Dragon Quest wiki.
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann

User Info: garan

garan
9 years ago#7
Hip-hip-hooray!

User Info: Duke_Mango

Duke_Mango
9 years ago#8
Hopefully I might actually look at the lesser of the two wikis now that it isn't on Wikia.
ACWW Name: Behraam Town: Salvador FC: 3608-4835-5062
Pokemon Platinum: FC: 0131-2320-3430

User Info: replicant

replicant
9 years ago#9
Nice change and seems less annoying.
Bear "replicant" Powell
"I am Shaolin-Style!"

User Info: Duke Darkwood

Duke Darkwood
9 years ago#10
Hopefully I might actually look at the lesser of the two wikis now that it isn't on Wikia.

It's not always lesser, actually. And until recently, there were many areas in which it could be considered greater. It's been around longer, and its contributors are usually very effective and thorough. (And because GWW also relies on its userbase for information, and is merely hosted by Arenanet, this also means that GWW does not have an "in-house" advantage there. Except when it comes to Game Update notes; they're very fast with those, often faster than on the official site!)

Of course, for 99% of content, it's a moot point - NPCs, skills, items, all these things are usually going to have the same info on both.

For the longest time, even after the move to Wikia, I did continue using GuildWiki more than Guild Wars Wiki. Partly because I had been using it since before there was an official wiki, but also because their info continued to be good.

That only really changed with the advent of Guild Wars Beyond - they are sometimes (not often, but I've noticed it from time to time) slow in updating the daily information on the main page, and their War in Kryta information took forever simply to get up to their usual standards, while the contributors to the official wiki were considerably more efficient.

In the end, it's best to work with BOTH wikis, to get a more complete picture. Each covers the same information, but sometimes brings different details into the mix. The contributors for one (either one) may see things with a perspective that the other misses.
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann
  1. Boards
  2. Guild Wars
  3. GuildWiki has moved
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A