• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Guild Wars
  3. Can't remember character name- locked out of account.
ZombieGenesis 11 years ago#1
I don't understand the point of this character name security. I've not played GW in months and I don't remember what my characters names are, I just have a basic idea, and since there's no automated way of finding out I can't access my account.
I've put in a question to the Customer Support but that was a few days ago and it's showing no sign of progress. This confuses and infuriates us.
"This picture needs more tentacles!" < My girlfriend Asha.
GW2 Guild: IconcolastGaming.com
Shadow1975 11 years ago#2
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/914653-guild-wars/56714785

On the first page still, maybe you didn't look before posting?
Life is tough. It's a lot tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne
Lizardneck 11 years ago#3
"Us"? Multiple people using your account?

Well, anyway, hopefully, you included the information that the NCsoft tells you to include when you sent in that support ticket. Otherwise, you'll be waiting longer than you need to. They're probably bogged down by people asking the same question you are, and by people sending in support tickets about what's on the log-in screen (seriously, why don't they just include a privacy option for the HOM instead? It'd fix the whole thing. >_>)

But, if you have any screenshots of when you played before, you can try checking there to recover a character name. Don't forget that GW characters have at least two names, not just one like most games, if that helps you remember your name.

The character name requirement was implemented as a response to the number of account hackings that happened near the end of last year. Anet tried to think of something that would be easier for people to remember than a second password (which has pretty much the same issues as just having one password), but would still offer some measure of security, so they picked something that most players know: the names of their own characters.
Lizardneck 11 years ago#4
Oops, typo.

that the NCsoft website tells

Need edit feature . . .
ZombieGenesis 11 years ago#5
Funnily enough I did look through the first page but only now I come back to check this did I see the other thread. Honestly I figured I'd be the only one, but it seems a LOT of people are having this problem.
I didn't provide a product code, only my account email. It specificaly states before you give the ticket not to put in your password or confidential information >_> So I'm not sure how that works.
I can sort of remember the names, but the specific spelling I used is the hard part. Plus I may well have deleted them several months ago for all I remember.
Lizardneck 11 years ago#6
They're not asking for your password. They're asking for the access keys: the 25-character long code in this format:

XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXX

and is on a piece of paper labeled "Access Key Card." If you ordered it online, then you'll have it in an e-mail instead.

IIRC, Gaile said they still have records of names of characters that have been deleted, so include those. If it's a partial name or a guess, include it. And of course, include anything asked for on this page:

http://help.ncsoft.com/cgi-bin/ncsoft.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7638

If you don't, you just make it take longer for them to help you, and make it less likely you'll recover your account.
Duke Darkwood 11 years ago#7
Any screenshots you can use to check?

Otherwise, contact Arenanet Support and provide as much info as you can - and your Account Key (any of the ones you used) would be PARTICULARLY useful, as they want to be sure you're you, and not someone trying to steal your account.

As Lizardneck said, it was added to stop a rash of account hackings that sprung up and to prevent future ones.

Oh, and Lizardneck - maybe ZG means the royal "us".
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann
ZombieGenesis 11 years ago#8
Might be a problem since I bought Guild Wars the year it came out...
The only reason I have it now is I downloaded the client, I haven't seen my long serial code in about five years. I wouldn't have the CD either at this point. I just have the account name, the pasword and a rough idea of the character names. That USED to be enough.
I've just had to repurchase the entire trilogy, but I wanted to access my old accounts to see what the HoM had in it.
ZombieGenesis 11 years ago#9
And while, being English, the royal "us" could work I was actually being Lirr from Planet Omacron Persii 8.
Lizardneck 11 years ago#10
If you don't have the access keys, then have you bought anything from the NCsoft store? If so, then you'll have an access key for that in your e-mail, and you might be able to use it instead, and include the last four digits of your credit card number that you used to buy it.

If you've never bought anything from the store, then I'm not sure what they'll ask you for.
  1. Boards
  2. Guild Wars
  3. Can't remember character name- locked out of account.
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A