• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mother 3
  3. Just Finished Mother 1-3 (Thoughts, Discussion, and Spoilers)

User Info: The_Bones

The_Bones
2 years ago#1
After getting an itch to play through Earthbound again I decided to finally go through the other games as well. I had played both Mother 1 and 3 before but never finished them. Mother 1 feels almost like a prototype to Earthbound. A lot of elements are shared and it's also difficult to fit it into the continuity along with Earthbound. I think it serves as a good potential backstory for Giygas. Honestly I thought the origin of Giygas was going to be George trying to bring his wife back to life which ends up with him bringing Giygas into the world.

Earthbound can stand perfectly fine on it's own. It's a great story with what feels like a definitive end. Giygas is mysterious and feels like an ultimate evil and you stop him. Pokey is still around but he doesn't seem like a huge threat with how weak he is and how you just stopped what did seem like the ultimate evil. So there is just that one loose end and you never really know anything about Giygas but it keeps you wondering in a good sort of way.

Mother 3 was tying up that loose end from Earthbound and I feel like you really needed to have played it to be invested in the antagonist side of things. The story is still quite good but I feel like some plot points weren't well explored. Take the Egg of Light and White Ship. Their revelation doesn't really affect the story in any way and it comes in so late that there's no time to build up any mystery or clues about it. The importance of the egg especially seems to be dropped once the needles are introduced as the focus of both Lucas and the pig army are shifted to them. I'm fine with not knowing exactly how the rest of the world wound up destroyed but it just didn't seem like that big of a deal that the survivors left to rebuild on the last habitable land and had their memory wiped.

Locria's betrayal seemed rather glossed over as well. You never get to see why he betrayed the Magypsies or why he was so different from them in the first place. The ending was okay. It is vague and left open to some interpretation but you do stop Pokey in about the best way you can. There are a couple of questions I have about Pokey in this game. How exactly did he become immortal? Time travel itself doesn't make you immortal and even in the game it did seem like he was quite old so I'm not sure why he couldn't die. Also, when you're about to confront Pokey and you're in the room with his trophies of things from Earthbound the last one is what looks like a white and black spec on the ground. Does anyone know what they are supposed to be?

Overall the Mother series is undeniably one of the most unique RPG series out there and I can see why some want another game like it. I don't feel like there needs to be another sequel especially since Itoi has said that 3 is the conclusion of the series. That being said I can't say I wouldn't mind seeing another RPG from Itoi whether it's related to Mother or not.

User Info: CarbonDragon

CarbonDragon
2 years ago#2
I liked that Locria didn't really have any motivation for doing what he did or that he was trying to prove some point. I figure he just got bored with immortality and Pokey's shenanigans sparked his interest, it's possible he would've stayed non-intrusive otherwise. Extreme acts of cruelty require a high degree of empathy, and the little tidbit about him being a caretaker of bunnies seems to agree with that interpretation.

I was fascinated with Duster, in his completely unremarkable appearance I actually found him an interesting choice for a playable character, and Chapter 3's my favourite in the whole game.
When one walks with the Lord, friends, one's tail is always wagging
Please believe in the kindness of your own eyes

CarbonDragon
2 years ago#3
My Boner's a huge disappointment, I don't care how quick he is his damage output is embarrassing and spends more time guarding as a damage-tank than being worthwhile, they could've at least had his Sniff ability tell you how much HP the enemy had left too.

User Info: The_Bones

The_Bones
2 years ago#4
Boney gets a lot better starting around mid game I feel. He makes for a great support character with items since he always goes first and having the shield snatcher on him is very nice. But yeah I did find him dying a lot in the early chapters. Duster was a pretty good character. He's just this bum of a guy who didn't seem to get any respect from Wess and was trained for a task he knew nothing about. His amnesia seemed to let him find happiness in his life and a place to fit in and you're forced to tear him away from that because more important things are at stake.

CarbonDragon
2 years ago#5
Sorry I always confuse their names as Dusty and Boner. But I still have affection for Boney being more helpful than King was in Earthbound, he actually stuck around. Makes sense that as the pet he'd be the first up on the chopping block. I think it's a cool idiosyncrasy that Duster even with his limp tends to get a quick first shot in

User Info: j_coat

j_coat
2 years ago#6
Notice that they do stop giving Boney stuff to say towards the end of the game, just normal barking when you talk to him.
3DS FC: 4554-0356-4310 Garbodor / Cascoon / Whirlipede-Pokemon XY Safari

CarbonDragon
2 years ago#7
I wonder if it's intentional. Even his one collection minigame near the end left much to be desired. I wanted to load him with attack items but the cheaper ones were too specific like Bug Spray and the Saltwater Gun. We had that weaponized honey but it relied on luck for good damage. The rockets were OK but best reserved for bosses. I'd've preferred a resupplying single-item weapon like the Thunder Bomb which becomes obselete later on. He is no Jeff
  1. Boards
  2. Mother 3
  3. Just Finished Mother 1-3 (Thoughts, Discussion, and Spoilers)
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A