• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Sword of Mana
  3. Combos are "whiffing" enemies?

User Info: Django_Warrior1

Django_Warrior1
3 years ago#1
I'm just at the start of the game using the sword and the second hit of its combo will pass through the enemy 90% of the time. I think it's because the invincibility frames outlast the window to execute the 2nd hit because when I start the combo slightly away from the enemy, the 2nd hit will land with greater reliability (not exactly 100% though).

So my question is: has anyone experienced the same? Is there anything I can do about it? I mean, it's not game-breaking yet, but my retro game senses are telling me this will become unbearable later in the game when enemies have quicker/different attack patterns, interrupting you mid-combo.
The official..."That Guy" of ...that place........over there........
In all things, there needs to be more Flynn.

User Info: AdmiralStiff

AdmiralStiff
3 years ago#2
yes, it is completely "normal", it is even more noticeable with the gloves (weapon you acquire later on)
This game was rushed and many corners were cut to boot, it is not as bad as seiken densetsu 3 tho
I found spear to be the most realiable weapon, however you get it way late in the game

Django_Warrior1
3 years ago#3
I see. That's too bad about the cut corners as I'm enjoying this game very much and I'd have loved to see it in a more polished form. I've gone a bit further into the game and this quirk hasn't taken its toll on the gameplay yet, so I'm a little optimistic that it never will. *crosses fingers* Also, what's the problem Seiken Densetsu 3 has? I'm planning on playing that game soon, actually.

AdmiralStiff
3 years ago#4
Django_Warrior1 posted...
I see. That's too bad about the cut corners as I'm enjoying this game very much and I'd have loved to see it in a more polished form. I've gone a bit further into the game and this quirk hasn't taken its toll on the gameplay yet, so I'm a little optimistic that it never will. *crosses fingers* Also, what's the problem Seiken Densetsu 3 has? I'm planning on playing that game soon, actually.

Where do I begin?

Agility doesn't work
Critical hits never happen
useless spells
lag f***ing everywhere
delayed movement
delayed calculations
spells and techs stop the game
unavoidable party nuke techs
Chaining spells/techs may freeze the game
Ships take f***ing long to arrive their destination
2nd class change is a pain in the ass
Glitches a plenty

SD3 is a f***ing disaster, programming wise

It seems the Seiken Densetsu franchise is to square as that neglected kid is to certain parents
you know, that little accident
Every single game lacks balancing, or worse, QA testing

Django_Warrior1
3 years ago#5
That doesn't bode well considering most of those reasons are why I disliked secret of mana so much.

But still, since you're looming around these dead boards, same as me, you must have a "mana" title you enjoy, right? Which would you say is the best of the franchise?

AdmiralStiff
3 years ago#6
I enjoy them all under certain circumstances

Secret of mana for multiplayer + this patch: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,20093.msg287901.html#msg287901

SD3 on my phone using the touchscreen thanks to the minimum user input it requires
Applying the normal dofficulty patch from here that is: http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/forum/143-seiken-densetsu-3-hardtype/

Children of mana and Legend of mana with some heavy balancings through action replay codes

Sword of mana after a couple of years when the story banishes from my brain (heroine's story is pretty good)

I have not played neither dawn of mana nor heroes of mana yet

But if I had to pick a game for its own merits overall, Legend of Mana will do

Django_Warrior1
3 years ago#7
Good to know. Do you mind sharing the codes you use for Legend and Children of mana?

AdmiralStiff
3 years ago#8
For childen of mana just use a code that gives you every jewel and equip the ones that suit your needs
I had a joker command that allowed you to switch spirits at will by pressing select + Dpad, however magic gets boring real quick thus I lost the code

As for legend of mana, this one is very complicated
here is a slightly outdated pastebin I made a couple of years ago
it needs some rebalance on magic and optimizations, but should do just fine utill I (hopefully) fetch the final ones for you, I don't remember where I left them -.-'
http://pastebin.com/gCEEMsi0
Nintendrones have reached a new unprecedented low. Not only is better to have less games and bad online; following a poll's rules is wrong too.
#UndertaleGOAT
  1. Boards
  2. Sword of Mana
  3. Combos are "whiffing" enemies?
  • Topic Archived