• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Sword of Mana
  3. Last Chance to Make This Work

User Info: gamemaster712

gamemaster712
3 years ago#21
I've noticed each weapon have a certain attribute to them which does more to certain enemies and less to none on others. That's really it, but having high evasion is pretty neat. Not to mention I do love ninjas so being OP when reaching Ninja master is icing on the cake.
Lord of gaming!!! (probably) 3DS FC: 3411-1747-3961 Y: Sean; X: Lily; Serebii 4 Life; OGTG hax breeder/KCB
Life's too short for silly worries, have fun.

gamemaster712
3 years ago#22
I recommend alundra at some point....
Psone Classic, shouldn't be too tough for any of us to play that....
It shares similarities to zelda so worth a look.
Lord of gaming!!! (probably) 3DS FC: 3411-1747-3961 Y: Sean; X: Lily; Serebii 4 Life; OGTG hax breeder/KCB

User Info: Golden_Torizo

Golden_Torizo
3 years ago#23
Hi gm, how's it going? I saw ALUNDRA in the "I Can't believe It's Not Zelda" thread. I also saw it's from PS. I have never tried playing a PS game. I would need to talk behind the scenes to explain.

I would love to give it a try. But...

Hang in there Athos... :)
Go to FunTrivia.Com and play my quiz- Dragon Warrior I for Game Boy Color. Don't 4get to rate it! Thanks

User Info: skater43

skater43
3 years ago#24
Yes, different weapons do affect different monsters, well, differently. In the main menu, between status and choosing your current spirit helper is a journal. One of the tabs on that is a list of all the monsters you've fought and how many you've killed. Selecting one of the monsters will bring up it's stats and the right side of the screen shows how effective the different weapons and spirits are against it. Some things, like the specters I just fought in the Clock Tower are completely immune to weapons. Doesn't matter what you hit it with, you'll do 0 damage. They are however, weak against Wisp which is why I was able to get him to level 9, just killing a few of those specters. Fighting Devius after the Clock Tower, I was trying to use my bow because he flies around a lot and you're on a spinning platform and it's rather annoying. I was doing 5 times per hit, and hitting wasn't all that easy. However, after I switched the Knuckles, I was doing 40 or 50 per hit. Still annoying to hit him, but he was toast in a couple of minutes. Weapons also affect the offensive spells you cast, which is why I had trouble early on with the first orb you need to cast Salamando on. I had what, the bow and sword at that point or something and having the sword equipped wasn't working. When I succeeded, I happened to have the bow equipped, so had a greater range.

As for not having a lance, I think (hope) I just haven't come across it yet. Think I'm missing one other weapon, too (in Secret of Mana, you also had a javelin, so that might be the other one I'm missing). But so far, the weapon drops seem to be plotted: get to a certain point kill such and such monsters, and one drops a new weapon. Just before the airship, I did fight some Realm soldiers with spears, did a little grinding there, but none dropped a spear. Did get the knuckles from some wolves in that area, though. So, we'll just keep plugging along and see what happens. Because I haven't looked at the Class Guide, my hitting Barbarian and now Aesir were pure luck. I have about 11 levels in warrior, 15 in monk, 2 each in and sage and magician and 6 in thief. And that combination is apparently needed for Aesir. I wanted a few ranks in thief to try to help with the chest traps, couple of ranks in the mage classes because I do need to cast some spells occasionally, but want most of my points in offense, with a bit of defense as well. After I complete this playthrough, I do plan to check out the Class Guide, see how I managed to get where I did and see what the other options are. For now, we're just going with it. And I don't know if there's another class beyond Aesir that gives a +15 to lances or anything, or if Aesir is the top of that class tree.

Haven't played Alundra myself, or seen it, but have heard it frequently mentioned in conjunction with Zelda or compared to the Zelda games. If G_T can get it running, I'm down for giving it a shot after this.
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"

gamemaster712
3 years ago#25
5 more levels and it's ninja master wreck time.

gamemaster712
3 years ago#26
Stupid tower.....
Where art thou....
And what to put points in after ninja master.

skater43
3 years ago#27
The Clock Tower? Cut through Devius Manor. One of the servants points you in the right direction or opens the way for you.

As for what to put points in once you hit ninja master, I guess the first thing is look at the classes and see what's similar so that you don't put points in that class and change from ninja master. Otherwise, personally, I'd go with lots of monk for the offense.

Didn't get to play much today, but went through the desert with a horse with no name as well as minstrel boy. Cascade Cave was fairly easy, though I had a little trouble with the boss. His first stage was easy. Few whacks with the axe and that was that. Usually finished with Lester and I taking less than 5 damage each. Second phase was a bit more difficult. Attacking the base was easy and I let minstrel boy take some hits for me to prove his usefulness but not a big deal. Upper part took a few tries though. First time, just hitting the upper part was the problem. Was thinking RPG, rather than action RPG so didn't think to jump up the platforms to be at the same level as the flower. Once I got up there, though, hitting it while jumping over his attacks and healing myself proved difficult. Seems like he waited for me to start healing to launch his attack so I couldn't jump over it. That poison attack got rather old rather quickly. Last time, though, he was nice enough to not attack much, so I didn't have to worry about healing much, so could concentrate on attacking him and dodging his projectiles. Discovered it didn't take many hits with the bow (at level 41 I may be a bit overleveled, I don't know), it was just a matter of being able to attack. So, we rescue punny guy Dryad and are currently making our way to Mt. Illinois or something. Of course, what they call a mountain in Illinois, we in California call a mound of dirt, so I guess it's all about perspective.
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"

skater43
3 years ago#28
Gotten home rather late from work the last couple of nights (like 5 a.m. late), so have spent more of the daytime sleeping rather than playing, but have made some progress. Completed my climb up Mt. Ill Communication, acquiring a mace along the way. Have 7 of the 8 weapons, guess which one I have a bonus to? Anyway, have made my way through much of Granz Castle, ditching Minstrel Boy in favor of Heroine. And, at long last, after beating countless guards in the castle, finally got a lance to drop. As I've said, I don't know how the weapon drops work, whether I could have gotten a lance before the airship ride if I'd beaten up enough soldiers, or if they're not scripted to drop one until Granz, but I know have one. And am laying waste to the countryside. Except for the frequent Polter Boxes and Magic Flying Swords that are immune to jab weapons, requiring me to swap my lance out for something else. Didn't help that Minstrel Boy was also using a jab weapon. So now, with Heroine in tow, I plan to spend a little time beefing up my skill in lances, to really murder some fools, then up the staircase to see about rescuing Granz or defeating Dark Lord or finding the kitchen for a quick snack.

skater43
3 years ago#29
Been a few days. Seems like I was busier on my days off than when I have work. Also found that when you're paying attention to your game, you're less likely to die and have to restart from your last save. And if you're fighting to keep your eyes open/find yourself dozing off while playing a game, those are pretty good signs it's time to put the game down and get some sleep. Just some helpful tips I've found the past few days I'm passing on to my fellow gamers.

As for my progress, I got stuck in Granz Castle for awhile (see aforementioned issues with staying alive and having to repeat parts. Repeatedly). Got the clue about the books, but took me a long time to try the correct bookcase. Once I did that, things just rolled along. Utterly destroyed the boss at the top of the castle. While wandering the castle, I did a bit of leveling up/leveling up my weapons so I'm pretty much destroying anything in my path at this point. Love the lance. I mean, I get a bonus to it for my class, which is nice, but it does a lot of damage, has a bit of reach and is quick. Really don't like the mace because it is way to slow. Realm soldiers were only doing 1 or 2 damage to me with their spears, but because they attack so quickly, I could never counterattack with the mace. Only downside to the lance is that Polter Boxes are immune to it. But the axe is right next to the lance on the ring menu, so that's handy to switch to, just means going into the menu to switch.

So finished Granz Castle and wasted the Dark Lord. Had to wander through more desert which meant Minstrel Boy was my tagalong. Dude really likes the desert areas. And from there, cannoned my way to Wendel. Yes, I know that wasn't the intended plot destination, but I was hoping to finally pass out that last leaflet. No dice. Did accept Inger's quest to find her pendent and ran into a guy named Joss, twice, but that was as far as those quests went. I was really worried, though, about getting back to Granz/the plot. Glanced at a couple of maps looking for a cannon and only saw the one by Topple. But I wasn't sure if the cave was still blocked. And going the other way, last time I took an airship to Menos, so wasn't sure if I could get there directly or not. Fortunately, while running around outside Wendel to change it from day to night, I found a cannon just outside the south exit to town. So, left my quests in Wendel and cannoned to Lorimar.

Made my way through the snowfields (oh good, slippery ice) to Lorimar to find everyone chilling out. Well, except the king and his maid. Off to the Kahla Peaks to save the world/castle. Nothing real exciting there. Malyris took a little longer than the last couple of bosses to kill, only because she was hard to hit and I had to wait for her to be onscreen. Otherwise, she got wasted like all the rest. So, we're back at a rejuvenated Lorimar Castle, about to head into the Rockies and deal with a squid, or so one of the maids said. We'll see. Currently level 50 with about 15 levels in warrior, 21 in monk, 3 in magician, 3 in sage and 8 in thief. All my weapons are at least level 10, with the spear the highest at 17. Wisp is level 10 also, and most of the others have been pretty much ignored.

Where are you at in the game, gm? And G_T wanted me to tell you hi for her.

gamemaster712
3 years ago#30
Remember when I got stuck going to the tower?
Still there.
Luckily I'm essentially invincible now as the dominant ninja master.
I critical easily and dodge like a phantom....
Will go back to this soon.
Started playing animal crossing: wild world again.
Saving bells to pay off my next mortgage and just having fun with it.

Ummm....
You do know that ninja master is essentially permanent right? Check out the class guide, once you go certain paths there's no going back, period.
  1. Boards
  2. Sword of Mana
  3. Last Chance to Make This Work
  • Topic Archived