• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Metal Gear Solid
  3. I'm convinced getting Excellent rank on certain Special Missions is impossible.

User Info: odaiba_memorial

odaiba_memorial
2 years ago#1
I've been playing through the game, trying to "100%" it, and that includes getting an Excellent rank in all story and bonus missions, as well as top score in every VR mission.

I've done everything except the Special Missions, and no matter how hard I try, I just simply cannot get an Excellent rank on Stage 1, Special Mission 2 (collect four Fox-Hound emblems). I can average just under a minute (~58 seconds, usually), with no alerts, no kills, and no rations, and yet all that gets me is a "Great." I don't know where else I can cut corners to improve my time -- I'm always moving, not even taking time to punch guards that get in my way. I'm grabbing the Emblems from south to north, since the last one is on the bridge at the north end and backtracking would likely only take longer. The Fox-Hound emblem in the truck takes 5-10 seconds to get all on its own, since Snake has to flatten along boxes to reach it. Unless I'm missing a vital shortcut, I really don't think getting an Excellent here can be done.

I have a suspicion that this is actually the result of an oversight from the developers. I think they applied the standard level criteria to the Special Missions as well, even if the Special Missions take too long to actually complete in the allotted time, which would certainly be the case here. The standard Stage 1 requirement is I think less than 50 seconds, and there's simply no way I can grab all four emblems in that time. Of course, this being such an obscure game, there are no YouTube videos of anyone getting all Excellents, either.

Has anyone ever managed this? If so, how? Am I missing something obvious? This is driving me crazy.
  1. Boards
  2. Metal Gear Solid
  3. I'm convinced getting Excellent rank on certain Special Missions is impossible.
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A