• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Metal Gear Solid
  3. Haha the ESRB got the rating so wrong on this one.

User Info: Slave 1

Slave 1
3 years ago#1
I just finished this game and man, this is no doubt a true Metal Gear game with every mature theme known in the series. Literally the only thing they censored was changing Snake's cigs into the "fogger". It still looks like a cigarette though. All the themes of nuclear annihilation, swearing, references to alcohol, self-immolation, serial killers, racism, and so much more are there. I don't know what the ESRB was thinking when they rated this E. They probably just saw that it wasn't graphic so they said "eh, kids'll be fine with this!" Should've got at least a T if not an M.

Speaking of that, it's really interesting that (I believe) there's only one M-rated game on either GB or GBC - Mortal Kombat 3. Every other game was either E or T (or unrated pre-ESRB). Even ports of games like Resident Evil, Duke Nukem, and GTA got a less severe rating on their handheld versions.
Main objective is efficiency; life is inefficient; life hinders the main objective; life must be eliminated.

User Info: Snake

Snake
3 years ago#2
I think the story was quite complex for kids. Maybe they figured kids wouldn't understand it and thus no need to up the rating....or they didn't even play through the whole game.
Are you not....entertained!?

User Info: Slave 1

Slave 1
3 years ago#3
Yeah, maybe. But it still doesn't excuse them for not giving it the rating it rating it deserves. Regulation is what keeps the games industry out of trouble with the government. Complexity is no excuse... you don't give The Godfather a PG rating just because kids won't understand how the Mafia works.
Main objective is efficiency; life is inefficient; life hinders the main objective; life must be eliminated.

User Info: Snake

Snake
3 years ago#4
I see what you mean except Godfather was a AAA film upon release. In comparison Ghost Babel was a small and pretty insignificant spinoff title that didn't get the fanfare that a AAA title like MGS2 would receive the following year. Hence going easy on the rating for such a title as this doesn't mean as much compared to if they went easy on MGS2 which had a ton of blood and violence and all the themes you mentioned before.

Gameboy was also near the end of its life in the midst of a jam packed console market at that point so there was probably less of a focus on the system due to a drop in demand and audience. Not enough to worry too much about accuracy of ratings for its games.
Are you not....entertained!?
  1. Boards
  2. Metal Gear Solid
  3. Haha the ESRB got the rating so wrong on this one.
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A