• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Metal Gear Solid
  3. This game is best played on an emulator

User Info: jm-9

jm-9
5 years ago#1
I recently beat this game on a real cartridge. It was very good, but it was held back by a number of issues.

First, the radar is too small to see anything properly aside from your own character. There were many times that I was caught by an enemy that I hadn't noticed because the dot on the radar was too small. Keep in mind that I was playing on a backlit Gameboy Advance SP. It must be impossible to see anything on a Gameboy Color.

Second, the control could have been better. This was as a result of the lack of buttons on the Gameboy Color. Pressing Start to crouch and Select to change weapons and items wasn't a very good experience.

Finally, it got very annoying having to manually skip every bosses' speech before a boss fight whenever I died and had to fight them again. It's a shame, because the bosses in this game are otherwise very well designed.

After a while I switched to the Gameboy Player using the Hori Gamecube controller and the RGB cable. This was an improvement, as I could now use X or Y instead of Select to switch weapons and items. But crouch was still Start, and the radar was still hard to see, but better than it was on the Gameboy Advance SP (though that could have just been how far back from the TV I was sitting).

After I beat the game, I gave it a quick go on an emulator. The difference was night and day. I could map buttons exactly as I wanted them on a PS1 controller. The radar was really clear and I can save state at the start of boss fights to skip their speeches.

I understand that the main problem was the fact that it was on a Gameboy Color, and that there were hardware limitations as a result, but this game is hugely improved on an emulator.
  1. Boards
  2. Metal Gear Solid
  3. This game is best played on an emulator
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A