• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Vagrant Story
  3. Plot Question: When Sydney says to Ashley...

User Info: AshleyRiot2006

AshleyRiot2006
10 years ago#1
I think this topic was brought up here before, likely year(s) ago, but I don't recall what the general consensus was.

In Lea Monde, at the Great Cathedral, when Sydney says to Ashley: "Ashley, I... I'm..." and then doesn't finish his sentence:

[Sydney gestures upward, to the Rood on the ceiling, and then slumps]
Sydney: Ashley, I... I'm...
Ashley: I know.
http://www.vtutorials.com/phoenixgenesis/vagrant-story/vgst-script/lm4cathedral.html

Also seen here, in this footage, at 2:08 into the clip:.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4tUXx5biwQ&NR=1

What do you all interpret Sydney to have intended to say?

I have my opinion(s) but I wanted to hear what you all thought.
†VAGRANT STORY†
Level 16 †Grand Master Breaker†

User Info: Abbumaru

Abbumaru
10 years ago#2
Haha, that was one of the funniest topics ever around here. My best guesses were:

"Ashley, I... I'm... dying." - "I know."

"Ashley, I... I'm... your father." - "I know."

"Ashley, I... I'm... gay." - "I know."

"Ashley, I... I'm... 28." - "I know."

"Ashley, I... I'm... Sydney." - "I know."

But honestly, my first feeling was that he was simply apologizing (for all he put Ashley through, although it was still necessary to make him a worthy successor).
#=]+:_VAGRANT STORY_:+[=#
Lv.10 Master Gladiator (w/ base stats)

AshleyRiot2006
10 years ago#3
Abbumaru (or anyone),

Would you happen to know the web-link to the old GameFAQs post of this old thread on the GameSpot Forum(s) or anything? I couldn't find it on GameSpot but I also don't recall what it was titled.
†VAGRANT STORY†

User Info: GlassShard

GlassShard
10 years ago#4
I can't provide a link, but I could swear that years ago there was a site that went through the Japanese script of the game and cleared a few things like this up. I thiiiiink the original Japanese is

Sydney: …sumanai, Ashley.
Ashley: Wakatteiru.

This discusses the meaning of sumanai: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8177915

So as romantic as the scene can be made to look (lol fangirls) I don't think he's confessing his devotion (besides, everyone knows he loves Hardin).

Here's the relevant portion of the Japanese script, anyway: http://homepage1.nifty.com/Agnus_Dei/VgS/scene07.html

Sydney must REALLY be feeling guilty at this point in the game. He's manipulated and gotten killed people he really cares about (and maybe even a few foes whom he probably believed didn't deserve it), and he can't even clean up his own mess, having to rely on this guy he barely knows. And I'm sure his back really hurts. And he knows he's going to be dead soon. Poor guy.

User Info: firedraco2

firedraco2
10 years ago#5
From what I know "sumanai" means "(I'm) sorry" or "(I was/Something that I did was) inexcusable."

So basically he is trying to apologize, but Ashley knows that.

User Info: Abbumaru

Abbumaru
10 years ago#6
Would you happen to know the web-link to the old GameFAQs post of this old thread on the GameSpot Forum(s) or anything? I couldn't find it on GameSpot but I also don't recall what it was titled.

Sorry there, but that must have been years ago (IIRC there were several topics about this over the years) and I don't have any links.

GlassShard, thanks for the info! =)

And AshleyRiot2006, what do you think about the text passage?
#=]+:_VAGRANT STORY_:+[=#
Lv.10 Master Gladiator (w/ base stats)

AshleyRiot2006
10 years ago#7
Abbumaru wrote:
"And AshleyRiot2006, what do you think about the text passage?"

[Sydney gestures upward, to the Rood on the ceiling, and then slumps]
Sydney: Ashley, I... I'm...

My interpretation was mostly:
Sydney: Ashley, I... I'm... *dying*.

Re: sumanai / "(I'm) Sorry." / "I'm sorry."
If the literal Japanese script calls for, what amounts to, "I'm sorry." in English so be it. If that was the designers original intent I shall accept it as such. However, that thought had never crossed my mind previously and I personally find that pretty implausible in so far as everything that Sydney did was for the most part deliberate, at least on a fundamental level, and as such it would be a pretty empty (read b.s.) apology in my eyes. I would think Ashley would have to be pretty brain-dead to hear "I'm sorry." from Sydney after all that and see it as very sincere. That's just my opinion.

On the other hand, perhaps I'm not the only one who felt that way and that might explain why, in the English version of the game, they decided that Sydney would not go so far as to say, at least outright, "I'm sorry."
†VAGRANT STORY†

User Info: GlassShard

GlassShard
10 years ago#8
I have to admit that the first time I played the game I thought he was saying he was dying too. But I think that can be argued as being fairly out of character as well. Sydney's never asked for any pity or any sympathy in the game so why would he point out he was dying to Ashley, a guy who has no reason to care? What would announcing his death accomplish? A pat on the head from Ashley? Meh.

Him apologizing makes the explanation Ashley hears from little Sydney only moments before make more sense. You learn in that explanation that Sydney hasn't done any of the rotten things he has done for his own benefit, but rather for his father's and for the good of the Dark and, by extension, Valendia itself. He's explaining his actions, explaining why Guildenstern now must be defeated, and leaving that task to Ashley. And then, logically, he apologises for doing that. It must suck to have to ask someone else to clean up your mess.

Sydney's not a bastard, that's the point of the game. He was never the true villain but was in fact another hero, sacrificing himself and even the people he loved for the sake of the greater good. I think him apologising makes really good sense there. He apologises to Hardin as well not too many scenes before the Atrium.

Hardin: Is it... true? That tattoo ... is the "key"...?
Sydney: Forgive me, Hardin.

:)

User Info: the_myeerah

the_myeerah
10 years ago#9
^^ This. Very much this.

What I've always wondered is exactly what his father did for him that he wanted to repay him with his own life and all of the related havoc.
Bad grammar makes me [sic].

User Info: RufusCorvus

RufusCorvus
10 years ago#10
I don't understand the Japanese language at all, but reading that link GlassShard provided, I think the reasoning behind Sydney's line being open ended is that there isn't any word in English that holds the same amount of grief inherent in "sumanai." Really, the best we have is "sorry," and that would come off as trite to anyone reading it. Letting the player infer it was the best approach to handling the scene.

That said, my instinct has always been that Sydney was apologizing.
I refuse to do business with EA.
  1. Boards
  2. Vagrant Story
  3. Plot Question: When Sydney says to Ashley...
  • Topic Archived