• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
  3. Wanna play this game, is it better to do the terra-arcacum patches or the RePack

User Info: DuranOfForcena

DuranOfForcena
1 year ago#1
or Multiverse edition or whatever it is called. i'm on Windows 7 Ultimate here, and I got the game on Steam.

awhile back, i tried getting the patches from terra-arcanum and following the installation guide, but i could not get them to work properly. i don't remember exactly what happened but i think i was getting error messages about missing files or something. so i got discouraged and put off playing this game for awhile.

then i hear about the RePack, or the Multiverse Edition, which sounds great, cuz it's supposed to be all the patches that are on terra-arcanum in one, plus more. but the steam guide's instructions for downloading it are unclear to me. it just says to download torrent file magnet and then a bunch of random alphanumeric characters. i thought i had some experience with torrent files and programs, but i have no clue what that means.

more troubling though is there are several comments on the steam guide with people saying their virus scanners detected trojans and malware and stuff in the files for the patch. so i don't know if i trust it, but then again it's hosted on steam and presumably hasn't been taken down.

so i dunno what to do. try to find out how to download this RePack, if it's even legit, or try to get the terra-arcanum patches to work again. i don't know what i was doing wrong, i was following the installation guide.
"Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent." - Jim Jarmusch

User Info: Fizzle_Pork

Fizzle_Pork
1 year ago#2
Just use UAP (unofficial arcanum patch) as recommended on GOG, all it does is fix bugs. Never used any of the others. Also, please don't buy old games on Steam. It already has enough of a monopoly.

DuranOfForcena
1 year ago#3
Fizzle_Pork posted...
Just use UAP (unofficial arcanum patch) as recommended on GOG, all it does is fix bugs. Never used any of the others. Also, please don't buy old games on Steam. It already has enough of a monopoly.

what kind of train of thought leads someone to making such a ridiculous and uninformative reply as this?

i have no f***ing clue what is recommended on GOG and i didn't ask for anyone's useless opinion on where i should be spending my money. i asked a question which you admitted to not having any relevant experience for giving any advice on right in your reply. why even reply at all?

Fizzle_Pork
1 year ago#4
UAP is what is hosted on Terra arcanum. Terra arcanum is a website, not the patch itself. It's worked fine for me from Windows XP to 7,8, and 10. GOG also gives a larger percentage of sales to license holders of older titles, but I guess get pissed off for it's recommendation for no reason...
(message deleted)

Fizzle_Pork
1 year ago#6
Added to the ignore list.
(message deleted)

User Info: KYOJIROKAGENUMA

KYOJIROKAGENUMA
1 year ago#8
I wanted to play this too, but I heard it was a pretty bad way to get introduced to WRPGS...
Kill anyone who gets in the way... Actually nevermind that... JUST KILL EVERYONE! - Kyojiro Kagenuma - WoTS 2 PSN:kingmalak

DuranOfForcena
1 year ago#9
KYOJIROKAGENUMA posted...
I wanted to play this too, but I heard it was a pretty bad way to get introduced to WRPGS...

i'm not sure how much like other games this is supposed to be, but WRPGs are a fairly wide genre. i think this is supposed to be sort of a cross between Diablo II-type ARPGs and Baldur's Gate or Fallout 1&2 type CRPGs. dunno if this is turn based or realtime-with-pause type combat, haven't got that far yet. in any case though, yeah, i would probably suggest playing all the games i've mentioned in this post before i'd play this. i dunno about playing this first being bad necessarily, but it may be better to start with earlier, foundational titles of the genre.
  1. Boards
  2. Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
  3. Wanna play this game, is it better to do the terra-arcacum patches or the RePack
  • Topic Archived