• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
  3. Playing this game for the first time.

User Info: Ransom_Stark

Ransom_Stark
1 year ago#1
Due to circumstances, back in those days I missed playing many great games which are considered cult classics. Now I've been playing these cult classics one game at a time and even two games at a time. These days I've been playing Arcanum and NWN2. Just started Arcanum a couple of days ago.

I'm loving it.
Axiom ^^

User Info: TJWhitey37

TJWhitey37
1 year ago#2
Save often in the early game, it really sucks to lose progress from a grizzly bear encounter etc etc.

Ransom_Stark
1 year ago#3
Good point, the game can be rather difficult for early level character, especially during random encounters with bears and pack of wolves. Good thing I save my game so often that it may seem like obsessive.
Axiom ^^

User Info: The_alchemy1356

The_alchemy1356
1 year ago#4
Arcanum is a very good RPG. Just make sure you have the UAP installed to make sure most of the bugs in the game are ironed out.
All we had to do, was follow the damn train!

Ransom_Stark
1 year ago#5
Yeah, I'm playing with UAP installed.
Axiom ^^
(message deleted)

User Info: Bearprint

Bearprint
1 year ago#7
Wow, you sound just like me, I've been searching for the old, hidden gems as well, and I JUST completed Arcanum - 4 weeks ago, I didn't know anything whatsoever about the game, and now I consider myself a semi-expert.

The biggest tip of the game: Make sure you're between level 20 and 30 before the Black Mountain Clan-mines, they have some tough enemies. Do some exploring and side-quests before truly embarking on the main quest. Bring lots of spare swords/daggers for a certain type of enemy (trust me on this), and try to level up the Force-college (3 of the 5 spells are amazing).

In the end game, if you have spare points, it is wise to invest them in the Conveyance-college to get Teleportation - it will save you a bunch of time instead of walking from one side of the world map to another.
The Final Fantasy-series (nr. 6-10) will forever hold a place in my heart.

Ransom_Stark
1 year ago#8
Bearprint posted...
Wow, you sound just like me, I've been searching for the old, hidden gems as well, and I JUST completed Arcanum - 4 weeks ago, I didn't know anything whatsoever about the game, and now I consider myself a semi-expert.

The biggest tip of the game: Make sure you're between level 20 and 30 before the Black Mountain Clan-mines, they have some tough enemies. Do some exploring and side-quests before truly embarking on the main quest. Bring lots of spare swords/daggers for a certain type of enemy (trust me on this), and try to level up the Force-college (3 of the 5 spells are amazing).

In the end game, if you have spare points, it is wise to invest them in the Conveyance-college to get Teleportation - it will save you a bunch of time instead of walking from one side of the world map to another.

I'm level 24 right now, it's a magical build. I'm taking my time with the main storyline and prioritizing the side quests first, I think it's an RPG gamer's natural instinct to do side quests first and gain some experience before tackling the main quest. I'm at that point in the main quest when the main character meets Gilbert Bates.

In my opinion, a lot of the new current generation games are good too, but playing old gems like Arcanum brings a special feeling, it's the feeling of nostalgia combined with something that I can't put my finger on, but it's something good.
Axiom ^^
  1. Boards
  2. Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
  3. Playing this game for the first time.
  • Topic Archived