• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
  3. Questions from a moorowind newb
Lakinnnnn 9 years ago#1
1. are there horses to ride in morrowind - or/and any other kind of mounts?

2. are there throwing spears or hatchets in morrowind?

3. what makes morrowind better than skyrim and oblivion?

4. just other stuff a newb like me should know
luigi4728 9 years ago#2
Lakinnnnn posted...
1. are there horses to ride in morrowind - or/and any other kind of mounts?

2. are there throwing spears or hatchets in morrowind?

3. what makes morrowind better than skyrim and oblivion?

4. just other stuff a newb like me should know

no mounts but there are stilt striders which are pretty much fast travel stations

i think theres throwing spears not sure about hatchets

more content better stories more skills and actually somewhat difficult
KhMER SR 9 years ago#3
1. No horses. Dunmer consider them a delicacy and they cannot survive in the ashlands.

2. Bloodmoon had some throwing axes I think. I know there are throwing axes but not exactly sure where they came from. There are also throwing spears.

3. Atmosphere, less hand holding, and everything is hand placed are common reasons given for the preference.

4. Do not make super strong Fortify Health potions and drink them. You will die hours later and wonder what is going on. Get the Morrowind Code Patch & Unofficial patch to fix even more bugs/annoyances. You can find them at Morrowind Nexus and Planet Elder Scrolls.
The ruling king is armored head to toe in brilliant flame. He is redeemed by each act he undertakes. His death is only a diagram back to the waking world.
SilentOracle 9 years ago#4
1. No horses or any other mounts. No fast travel from anywhere to anywhere either. But there are silt striders (you'll know 'em when you see 'em) and boats that can fast travel between designated towns, several teleport spells, levitation (!) and a few more means of faster-than-normal travel.

2. Dunno what mods these guys were smoking, but the only throwing weapons in vanilla Morrowind are knives, stars and darts. And for the most part, there aren't really many of them you can find. At least there are crossbows!

3. Morrowind is closer to classic CRPGs, with lots of things to learn, study and master. It might be hard to just jump in and start playing, but once you see what this game has to offer you won't ever regret all the time you'll invest in it. Also, I second a fully hand-made world. Yes, everything out there was hand-placed where it is, even in the wilderness outside of cities and dungeons. Not to say there are no random enemies and loot, but those were hand-placed as well.

4. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Differences_Between_Morrowind,_Oblivion,_and_Skyrim
Waiting eagerly for the next video game industry crash.
3D is a fad, realistic graphics are a waste of resources.
Chocolatl 9 years ago#5
1. No horses, darn it.

2. No, but you can mod them in. There ARE darts and throwing knives.

3. More flexibility.

4. You'll be told, "Talk to everybody." They're not kidding. You can learn a lot, and you'll also get some quests that way.
Don't kill NPCs indiscriminately. You may need that character later on.
I no longer recommend using the unofficial patch, because it changes many things that shouldn't be changed. For most of the things that should be changed, there are older mods that address these issues separately. However, the code patch is very useful.
Except for one quest in Bloodmoon, there's no time limit on any quest, so if you find one too difficult, leave it and come back to it when your character is stronger.
Have fun!
It's always cheating, in a story, to kill off the person who prevents the happy ending.--Mary Stewart
Rajhin 9 years ago#6
1. No.
2. No, but there are other throwing weapons.
3. More political intrigue, more content such as fleshed out guilds and better character creation that allows you to create any character you can imagine, a fleshed out world full of atmosphere, and a believable world. Its world is less procedurally generated.
4. If you get in a fight too difficult, don't be afraid to run away or reload. Save often.
derrick112 9 years ago#7
Hey chocolatl can you expand on your reason of not using the unofficial patch? I just automatically installed it because it seem like it was what most people preferred but if I know the con's then maybe I ought to try without it.
Vdashone 9 years ago#8
If you want to use the unofficial patch without the questionable changes, just grab ThePal's version instead of the Patch Project's. That's how I do it.
Elmdor043 9 years ago#9
You want a tip?

Get a decent Command Humanoid spell (maybe enchant it on something) as npcs can be annoying as f*** and just crowd around a doorway and just sit there and pretty much never move. Although, I have used the Boots of Blinding Speed and jumping to just glitch past them, but Command is so much easier to just move them the hell out of the way.
Chocolatl 9 years ago#10
Elmdor043 posted...
You want a tip?

Get a decent Command Humanoid spell (maybe enchant it on something) as npcs can be annoying as f*** and just crowd around a doorway and just sit there and pretty much never move. Although, I have used the Boots of Blinding Speed and jumping to just glitch past them, but Command is so much easier to just move them the hell out of the way.

Why not just use the RA console command?

There's also a mod that you can use to ask them to move.
It's always cheating, in a story, to kill off the person who prevents the happy ending.--Mary Stewart
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
  3. Questions from a moorowind newb
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A