• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Blue Version
  3. Bulbasaur is the best starter pokemon!

User Info: Gnarfard

Gnarfard
12 years ago#1
Squirte might be better than charmander early on, but in later levels, blastoise is utter crap compared to other water types, and charmander is the third best fire type. The other two that beat charizard, ninetails and moltres, are only slightly better as well. I could think of a bunch of water types that simply DESTROY blastoise. Blastoise lacks the two most important stats in RBY, speed and special.

The correct choice is Bulbasaur. He is strong throughout the entire game. Venasaur is a top tier plant type, only beaten by Eggy, and tied with Victreebel. Venasaur also happens to be the only starter that has a chance of appearing on a real team of six. Good special, a good moveset, strong type, and sleep/stun powder. Yes, Eggy is better, but Vensaur is a close second.

As for the first gym, Bulbasaur can leech seed/growl the rock types, which mean's it's impossible for you to lose, even if you switched in a Caterpie. Bulbasaur also does the best at the second gym, where as squirte would be doing water vs water battles against alot of superior water types.
/|\ http://www.gnarfard.com/wwe_backstage_life1.html
\|/ http://www.gnarfard.com/batista_blog1.html

User Info: samthedigital

samthedigital
12 years ago#2
Since you are talking about Brock this must not be player versus player. What Water type Pokemon is better than Blastoise?

First of all the only Water Pokemon that compares is Poliwrath. The other Water Pokemon don't level as fast to 50. Blastoise is clearly better than Poliwrath though seeing as it comes earlier.

Blastoise lacks the two most important stats in RBY, speed and special.

If you are going to choose a starter for the game and not competitively (If competitively choose any starter and ditch them as soon as possible) then stats are not too important. The object is to beat the other Pokemon, not to get higher damage percentages (112% damage versus 136% damage), and besides, Blastoise gets Fissure, and coupled with X-Accuracy it is a surefire OHKO against many Pokemon whereas other Water types can not do this, unless you count Poliwrath who is worse than Blastoise for purposes in the game.

The correct choice is Bulbasaur. He is strong throughout the entire game. Venasaur is a top tier plant type, only beaten by Eggy, and tied with Victreebel. Venasaur also happens to be the only starter that has a chance of appearing on a real team of six. Good special, a good moveset, strong type, and sleep/stun powder. Yes, Eggy is better, but Vensaur is a close second.

Grass/Poison is not a good type, and you could make any Pokemon look good by saying they are one of the best of their types. Look at the Bug type Pokemon.

As for the first gym, Bulbasaur can leech seed/growl the rock types, which mean's it's impossible for you to lose, even if you switched in a Caterpie. Bulbasaur also does the best at the second gym, where as squirte would be doing water vs water battles against alot of superior water types.

At this point Squirtle will have evolved into Wartortle, and it should have Dig which will dispose of the Water Pokemon easily. Wartortle has a base 100 attack whereas the other waters can't do much in return to him. Stats don't matter, but Wartortle's stats aren't terrible compared to the other Waters in the Gym other than Starmie, and even then Wartortle has no problem beating it.
GTM Fanclub

User Info: gbchaosmaster

gbchaosmaster
12 years ago#3
He spammed this on the FR and LG boards as well, word by word, for some reason.
gbchaosmaster

User Info: The_Eyes

The_Eyes
12 years ago#4
Ive used all 3 and you can effectively use all three in game
I reject your reality and substitute my own
~Adam Savage

User Info: omgairshot

omgairshot
12 years ago#5
He copied and pasted this from another topic from the maple story board. Don't ask how we got into a debate about pokemon there, but he copied/pasted word for word one of the posts in there.

As far as player versus player goes, Venusaur is the most likely of the three to make it to an actual team. As said before, blastoise is one of the most useless, and weakest water types, and charizard isn't even the best fire type, actually he's not even the best fire/flying type either. Venusaur is somewhere on the level of Victreebel. I prefer Victreebel myself, but Venusaur is a nice alternative. Eggy is still the best plant choice, but those two make a nice second.

Here's a link to him copying and pasting my original post.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=924697&topic=44836525&page=1

Here's a link of his dumb question on the Maple Story board, that got turned into a pokemon discussion. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=924697&topic=44836525

User Info: funkyfritter

funkyfritter
12 years ago#6
Bulbasaur is pretty bad in-game. It's attacks do mediocre damage and it's movepool is geared towards stalling and spreading status, which is a waste of time against the computer. Squirtle might not be the best water-type and charmander might stink against the first few gyms, but they both sweep better than the slow plant ever will.
This sentence no verb.

gbchaosmaster
12 years ago#7
"slow plant"?
gbchaosmaster

User Info: msylcatac9

msylcatac9
12 years ago#8
lol at slow plant... why do people look at him aesthetically? >_>

Venusaur has a pretty small movepool, but he has toys like growth, razor leaf (lol I wouldn't say that in D/P), sleep powder, and leech seed. I haven't played any ingame in R/B/Y, so I'm not sure how venusaur stacks up there, but they should all be equally useful.
cataclysm9
Look at my quote ------------>

gbchaosmaster
12 years ago#9
Growth isn't useful because of Razor Leaf's CH rate, and CHs ignore attack/sp. attack boosts in RBY.

Swords Dance+Body Slam makes it sweeping material somewhat.

Leech Seed isn't nearly as good as it is in the future gens.
gbchaosmaster

User Info: samthedigital

samthedigital
12 years ago#10
As far as player versus player goes, Venusaur is the most likely of the three to make it to an actual team. As said before, blastoise is one of the most useless, and weakest water types, and charizard isn't even the best fire type, actually he's not even the best fire/flying type either. Venusaur is somewhere on the level of Victreebel. I prefer Victreebel myself, but Venusaur is a nice alternative. Eggy is still the best plant choice, but those two make a nice second.

Gyarados is more likely to make a team than Seaking, but really it doesn't matter. None of them are making the team. It doesn't matter that Venusaur is the most likely to make the team when he won't make it if the player is actually decent.

I've already covered how being second best or third best of a type doesn't matter (go look at bug types), and it is a fact of no value seeing as the game is dominated by Normal and Psychic types.
GTM Fanclub
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Blue Version
  3. Bulbasaur is the best starter pokemon!
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A