• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Street Fighter V
  3. Suspicious activities from Capcom

User Info: Cebman

Cebman
1 month ago#11
Dan please.
CFN: Cebman. Im always willing to fight others in SFv.

User Info: sandbugs

sandbugs
1 month ago#12
is Oro shoto?
Fate Is A Fixed Line. However, It Is Not Considered Foolish To Resist It

User Info: FireMadePrime

FireMadePrime
1 month ago#13
sandbugs posted...
is Oro shoto?
No.

Cebman posted...
Dan please.
Yes

https://twitter.com/4everbuffy

User Info: Kylo_Ren_

Kylo_Ren_
1 month ago#14
Gouken I wish but Sakura aa fireball exists here. Dan has a higher chance, just because Capcom got a habit of adding goofy/comedic characters.

S1 Ibuki and Balrog
S2 Abigail and Zeku
S3 Blanka and Sakura
S4 Honda and Poison
S5 Dan and Elena
A fool's mind is at the mercy of his tongue and a wise man's tongue is under control of his mind.

User Info: CAPnCOM

CAPnCOM
1 month ago#15
Dantheman5903 posted...
Shotos are all tied directly or indirectly to Akuma, Gouken, Ryu and Ken, including Dan and Sean. Oni is a manifestation of Akuma too. Evil Ryu and Kage are linked to Ryu, which completes the list of shotos in Sf5. Some categorise Sagat as a shoto, but I don't agree as he is not linked to Gouken/Akuma and their students.

Dantheman's description is correct. This also includes Sakura, because she idolizes Ryu and copies Ryu's moves, even having a hadoken. A Shoto is any character that has a "hadoken" QCF+P, a "shoryuken" Z motion+P, and "tatsu" type attack QCB+K, and they are usually connected to the characters DTM mentioned. So there you have it. Sagat is close move-wise, but the Tiger Knee is not a QCB+K input. Dan, while not in the direct lineage of Gouken/Akuma/Ryu/Ken etc. by story, by composition he is a copy of SNK characters that copied Ryu/Ken, thus making him a Shoto.

In Japan they call Shoto characters "dogi" characters, basically meaning any character that is a head swap for Ryu/Ken wearing a dogi (usually just called a "gi" in English speaking countries). In earlier games this was a lot easier to understand but these days they try to mix up the costumes, but while changing Ken's default has changed he still has his classic dogi as a story costume and even Sakura has a dogi costume now, so it has come full circle.

I personally don't want another Shoto/dogi character in SFV but that is a suspicious post, and it may be shadowing Gouken or Dan(theman).

User Info: Dantheman5903

Dantheman5903
1 month ago#16
CAPnCOM posted...
Dantheman's description is correct. This also includes Sakura, because she idolizes Ryu and copies Ryu's moves, even having a hadoken. A Shoto is any character that has a "hadoken" QCF+P, a "shoryuken" Z motion+P, and "tatsu" type attack QCB+K, and they are usually connected to the characters DTM mentioned. So there you have it. Sagat is close move-wise, but the Tiger Knee is not a QCB+K input. Dan, while not in the direct lineage of Gouken/Akuma/Ryu/Ken etc. by story, by composition he is a copy of SNK characters that copied Ryu/Ken, thus making him a Shoto.

In Japan they call Shoto characters "dogi" characters, basically meaning any character that is a head swap for Ryu/Ken wearing a dogi (usually just called a "gi" in English speaking countries). In earlier games this was a lot easier to understand but these days they try to mix up the costumes, but while changing Ken's default has changed he still has his classic dogi as a story costume and even Sakura has a dogi costume now, so it has come full circle.

I personally don't want another Shoto/dogi character in SFV but that is a suspicious post, and it may be shadowing Gouken or Dan(theman).
Yep.

Dan actually trained under Gouken for a while before he was chucked out for having vengeance as the main motivation for training. So yeah, he is very much a shoto.

His moves are a sort of hybrid between a traditional shoto and muay thai from his father, Go Hibiki. His Dankukyaku is more a muay thai move than the tatsu, but he has the classic shoryuken and a fireball. His normals are also a mix of both styles.

Although the roots/basis is the same for all the shotos, they have sufficiently diverged in terms of playstyle to merit a place in the roster on their own merit.

But then i am a huge shoto fanboy and quite biased, so take my opinions with a pinch of salt! :D

User Info: CAPnCOM

CAPnCOM
1 month ago#17
Dantheman5903 posted...
Yep.

Dan actually trained under Gouken for a while before he was chucked out for having vengeance as the main motivation for training. So yeah, he is very much a shoto.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that-- that's how they explained his moves being so similar.

His moves are a sort of hybrid between a traditional shoto and muay thai from his father, Go Hibiki. His Dankukyaku is more a muay thai move than the tatsu, but he has the classic shoryuken and a fireball. His normals are also a mix of both styles.

Right, but dankukyaku is HCB+K, right? So it fits. Sean's tatsu move is about as different as Dan's, but he also has the same motion and trained under Ken, so it all fits.

Personally I can't see Dan making it info SFV, and if Capcom is as "lazy" as some people are saying, they may shove Gouken in between Ryu and Ken and keep the current select screen in tact. But Dan is ranked higher in the popularity poll, by twice as much (17th vs. 34th) so he is actually the next shoto in line, so could be... We'll have to wait and see.

User Info: FireMadePrime

FireMadePrime
1 month ago#18
CAPnCOM posted...

That's exactly how I see it.
Is like capcom is trying to hype people for a shoto character by constantly reminding us how popular they are and how much they are used by the players.

For a better argument sake lets use the expression Year instead of Season 2.

For the first year of the game it came with Ryu and Ken, then for the beginning of the second year came Akuma, then for the third year came Sakura, then finally on the fourth year Kage. This is the fifth year of the game, I could see Dan or Gouken.

Somehow I think that Kage kind of stole Dan's hadoken from him. Wasn't Dan the one with a ver short distance hadoken? Anyway, if feels like could be Gouken, as master of Ryu and Ken he'd fit nice in the middle of them if they keep that character select screen style.
https://twitter.com/4everbuffy

User Info: DarkDoc

DarkDoc
1 month ago#19
Capcom lol
  1. Boards
  2. Street Fighter V
  3. Suspicious activities from Capcom
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A