Played SF4 for the first time in YEARS and I gotta say that in comparison to sf5

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Street Fighter V
  3. Played SF4 for the first time in YEARS and I gotta say that in comparison to sf5

User Info: EsperStarr

EsperStarr
4 weeks ago#1
It was awful....and beautiful all at once.

Granted, this is all coming from Playshare on PS4 and while some of my friends have EXCELLENT connections, this particular friend doesn't always have the best connection. Regardless, my experience thru lag wasn't that bad.

I was just I SHOCK of how weird and lightning fast the game was.... Like it just felt fast and strange for NO REASON. Like the game isn't refined and was just flailing armlike... Despite me knowing the game isn't either. I just can't believe I played that game for years on end and that it's the game I truly learned SF thru. It felt AWFUL. I remember going from SF4 to SF5 and just....adjusting. These are very much similar games but they are COMPLETELY different. Is nowhere near the same as mvc3 and infinite.... Those games are different but they still have similar weight and timing and all that. SF4 and SF5....I can't see how someone could go between then regularly.

Pros:
- Games presentation is awesome! Love the ink stuff, colors, announcer, music, alt costumes and animations in Ultras. I still think all of this is present in SF5 to a high degree... It's just different. Love both.

- Ultras are just as beautifully animated and artistic as I remember them.... Like so much like life and you could tell they really wanted to push the series to new heights. I think SF5 pushes it further just because it's the new game but anyone going from 3 to 4 will be like....wow (despite 2D enthusiasts or purists).

- Focus attack defensive option: Because the connection wasn't as great as it could have been, I was mostly messing around but found that have that option for defense readily available was fantastic. My memory on the Focus wasn't always very positive as I do remember people using it as a crutch and I always complained that it felt like people....focused.... too much on it and eliminated footisies, coupled it with dirty option selects, and blah blah blah. It is a great thing and an annoying thing in my opinion. I'm glad SF5 did something different with the V system and I suspect done huge defensive options are coming real soon but it'd been nice to have something for defensive play. I love Vreversal though so I've been pretty consistent on D (No gutter thoughts).

- Proximity normals. I like them but I still like command normals better. Having more control over my attacks makes me feel like I'm actually in a strategic fight so SF5 wins here for me but I think a layer of strategy for SF4 was fine...its just that you kinda use alot of command normals in a similar way in SF5 BUT also have more options for those attacks.

Attacks - I miss some attacks especially on characters like Chun but I'll subtract her from this stove Chun always changes. I still think SF5 had alot of attacks and offensive options but the swapping of attacks can be jarring. I HAVE to admit that Cody's Criminal Upper is love (although I still love his SF5 incarnation) and I now remember how annoying and awesome Ibuki ground attack was... I both miss and hate that attack. Juri.... Was in my top 2 mains and she just felt AWFUL. Idk is more to do with his SF4 plays along with the weird connection but she just felt straight up stupid although very nostalgic *tear *.

- Taunts. Still waiting and pestering them to bring these back

Cons:

- Game just felt silly to me. Even though it felt good it also Just felt like too fast but like also stiffly unrefined. I know in my heart that SF4 is a refined game but damn it felt like trash. I think it's weird SF4 felt limited and yet free in its own ways in contrast to how SF5 also feels limited but also free. Idk. I'd have to play more but I played that game so much and now felt so grossed out that I HAD to play SF5 to cleanse my senses (which were temporarily f***ed because of the sf4 playtime).

- No modes. I already knew SF5 would grow to have more but yeah... That was always my main issue with even USF4 comparing to Alpha 3.
Life imitates art
PSN: EsperKazumi CFN: Esperstarr

User Info: playboydojo

playboydojo
4 weeks ago#2
EsperStarr posted...
Ultras are just as beautifully animated and artistic as I remember them.... Like so much like life and you could tell they really wanted to push the series to new heights. I think SF5 pushes it further just because it's the new game but anyone going from 3 to 4 will be like....wow (despite 2D enthusiasts or purists).

wtf am I reading?!
...and then I said, "Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!"

User Info: KungGuld

KungGuld
4 weeks ago#3
playboydojo posted...
EsperStarr posted...
Ultras are just as beautifully animated and artistic as I remember them.... Like so much like life and you could tell they really wanted to push the series to new heights. I think SF5 pushes it further just because it's the new game but anyone going from 3 to 4 will be like....wow (despite 2D enthusiasts or purists).

wtf am I reading?!

Yeah 5's CA's are nothing compared ultras.

User Info: aton_ra

aton_ra
4 weeks ago#4
playboydojo posted...
EsperStarr posted...

wtf am I reading?!
All heroes have established their thrones atop not just their enemies, but a large quantity of allied corpses as well. There are no monarchs with clean hands.

EsperStarr
4 weeks ago#5
aton_ra posted...
playboydojo posted...
EsperStarr posted...

wtf am I reading?!

@aton_ra
Really?
Life imitates art

EsperStarr
4 weeks ago#6
More cons and pros

Con:

Character models are ugly. Not as ugly as I remember them but still ugly.SF5 characters models are leaps and bounds better. The style, again, matches actual realistic official art and movies. SF4 has a lot of ugly head shapes and goofy looking faces all around.

Yeah that's it for now lol
Life imitates art

EsperStarr
4 weeks ago#7
KungGuld posted...
playboydojo posted...
EsperStarr posted...

wtf am I reading?!

Yeah 5's CA's are nothing compared ultras.

@KungGuld
I wouldn't agree. They are comparible just different.
Life imitates art

EsperStarr
4 weeks ago#8
playboydojo posted...
EsperStarr posted...

wtf am I reading?!

@playboydojo
Clarify haha
Life imitates art

User Info: aton_ra

aton_ra
4 weeks ago#9
EsperStarr posted...
aton_ra posted...
playboydojo posted...
EsperStarr posted...

wtf am I reading?!

@aton_ra
Really?

Yes, really. The Ultra animations in SFIV were crap. The start-up glowy animation was okay, but the rest not so much.
All heroes have established their thrones atop not just their enemies, but a large quantity of allied corpses as well. There are no monarchs with clean hands.

User Info: Stallion_Prime

Stallion_Prime
4 weeks ago#10
Im glad CAs arent as long as ultras. You could go and dump ass and when youd get back it would still be playing.
-Hunter1534
http://abload.de/img/powercdkcb.gif
  1. Boards
  2. Street Fighter V
  3. Played SF4 for the first time in YEARS and I gotta say that in comparison to sf5
  • Topic Archived